Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:58 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Proud Men
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:34 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: William A. Graham
Production year: 1987
Starring: Charlton Heston, Peter Strauss, Alan Autry

Plot:

A dying cattle rancher and war veteran reunites with his son who he deserted 15 years before.

Trailer:

http://youtu.be/VWomk5Bvi1g

Post subject: Re: Proud Men
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:05 pm 
Michelangelo

from the back cover of the DVD:
Quote:
THE GREATEST COURAGE COMES FROM FORGIVENESS

The untamed West belongs to the man who can rope it in - the America cowboy :cowboy1: . Rancher Charley MacLeod Sr. (Charlton Heston) is one of the best, and he's pround of everything he's given to the land. Pround of everthing except his son (Peter Strauss)....

It is about a rancher's story :cowboy1: . Therefore, it's not suprised some scenes look like in Will Penny, in Big Country, and even in Three Violent People. Heston and Strass did an outstanding performance in this heart-touching :heart: film about a father and his son coming to terms with each other.....

:cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:18 am 
Prince Judah

I checked this one out about a week ago; I bought the new DVD a couple of weeks earlier. I'm fairly certain that I haven't seen this before, though there is a bar room fight near the end which looked awfully familiar, but that may just be that all bar fights look pretty much the same.

I think watching this TV film now - for a Heston fan - would lend a strange layer of poignancy and sadness to the whole affair. But, I guess I can only speak for myself. It was a strange thing to watch it now, after experiencing the news and occassion of Heston's death several years ago, and watch him go through the experience of slowly dying from some illness again on the TV screen (I say "again" even though the story takes place in the eighties, years before he actually died - films can play strange tricks on you if you let them).

But, for those who haven't seen this yet - fear not; the ending is actually quite uplifting and positive. Heston sort of plays himself - an old school, staunch conservative - though he's strictly a ranch owner/operator here, not an actor. His character is a mite less sophisticated and worldly than the real Heston - the ranch seems to be the only life he's ever known, as well as small town Americana. It was a good role and Heston was very good in it. There's at least one scene that lifts this above most average TV movie fare: at one point, Heston and Strauss (who plays his son) attempt to debate war, Vietnam, death, duty - all those heavy subjects. They don't come up with any answers, just ask questions; we don't really expect more than that - it's very true-to-life and natural, as played.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I'm expecting this within a couple of weeks. I've only read the premise so far and it looks really promising. I'm so happy it's gotten a release on DVD along with several other TV-projects of Chuck's lately.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:51 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I echo what Chrysagon and CHfan2010 said about this movie, it was everything I expected and hoped it would be. A very nice, heartwarming story about a father and son trying to reconnect. Both Heston and Strauss were great in their parts. Nan Martin deserves praise as well as the mother and wife who struggles to make her two proud men talk to each other and put the past where it belongs.

I liked the similarity it had with The Big Country in the scene where Charley Jr tries to ride that horse that keeps throwing him off. Speaking of which, when Charley was flipping through the photo album with his grandson, wasn't there a still from The Big Country in there? I could swear it was Chuck as Leech on one of the photos.

The soundtrack was good and really helped the movie in the touching moments without getting too soppy. I'll have to get the Intrada Signature Edition CD with the soundtrack to both this and another TV movie that Laurence Rosenthal composed, called To Heal a Nation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:40 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Just watched the DVD for the first time. I can only echo was others have said... this was a very moving and heart-warming story, with Heston giving a very good and strong performance, with Peter Strauss and the other actors being just as good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:06 am 
Michelangelo

Proud Men 1987 ABC Movie Promo :cowboy1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWomk5Bvi1g

:cheers:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:15 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Thanks, added it to the original post!