Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Father, Rua Alguem 5555
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:34 pm 
Prince Judah

The BBC news coverage prior to or during the shooting of 'My Father, Rua Alguem' 555 --

Heston to play 'Nazi war criminal'

Charlton Heston is to play a Nazi war criminal in a new film set in Brazil, according to reports.

Heston, who turned 77 last week, has joined the cast of Papa Rua Alguem 5555, currently shooting in Rio de Janeiro, Screendaily.com reports.The American actor, best-known for playing heroic historical figures like Moses, Ben Hur and El Cid, will reportedly portray the real-life Nazi fugitive Josef Mengele living in hiding in the Brazilian city of Belem.

The screenplay is adapted from a historical novel by German author Peter Schneider, in which he reworked Mengele's letters and diaries.In the film, Mengele's 35-year-old son, played by German actor Thomas Kretschmann, meets his father for the first time in 1977 and confronts him about his war crimes.The film, which takes its title from the street where Mengele lived, is being shot in Rio and Manaus in Brazil as well as Germany.

The cast includes Fahrid Murray Abraham, known for his role in the film Finding Forrester, who plays a Jewish lawyer.The Italian-Brazilian-Hungarian production is directed by Italian Egidio Eronico. Mr Eronico was born in Rome in 1955, and has touched on the subject of Nazism before. His 1995 film La Visita KZ Auschwitz-Birkenau was a study of violence in history.

Since 1941 Charlton Heston has made more than 100 films since his first appearance in 1941's Peer Gynt.

He played George Taylor in the original Planet Of The Apes in 1968 - and had a cameo role as Zaius in the recent re-make.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:29 pm 
El Cid

I may be wrong, but I don't think any scenes were shot in Germany, Judah.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:57 pm 
El Cid

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebri ... auschwitz-

CHARLTON HESTON’s last film - banned in the United States! WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT VIDEO

Movie legend Heston, a famous liberal who marched on Washington with Dr. Martin Luther King later angered many of Tinsel Town’s left by turning conservative later in life, and becoming an ardent supporter of the NRA.

Before succumbing to the ravages of Alzheimer’s in 2008, Heston made one last film “My Father, Rua Alguem 5555”, directed by Egidio Eronico which had limited film fest release in 2003.

According to the IMDB, the plot revolves around a man (Thomas Kretschmann)) who grew up as an orphan who finally gets to meet his father –the psychopathic surgeon Dr. Josef Mengele (Heston), who performed genetic experiments on Auschwitz concentration camp victims during WWII.

Showbiz bible Variety said in a 2004 review: “While Heston’s perf is neither as weirdly convincing as Gregory Peck’s Josef Mengele in “The Boys From Brazil” … he puts it over with workmanlike precision, using a somewhat sibilant and consistent German accent, and sells his character’s casual monstrosity and drenched-in-denial logic.”

It has not been shown theatrically nor released on home video in the U.S.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:43 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I doubt it's banned in the US, I have yet to see any proof of that. I do find it odd and stupid that it hasn't been released, though. Despite being a foreign film, it's Heston and his last movie to boot!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:38 pm 
Astronaut

James Byrne wrote:
http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/charlton-heston-nazi-secret-my-father-rua-alguem-5555-banned-auschwitz-

Showbiz bible Variety said in a 2004 review: “While Heston’s perf is neither as weirdly convincing as Gregory Peck’s Josef Mengele in “The Boys From Brazil” … he puts it over with workmanlike precision, using a somewhat sibilant and consistent German accent, and sells his character’s casual monstrosity and drenched-in-denial logic.”

I don't understand the point behind this comment-- Peck's portrayal of Mengele showed Mengele's career when he was active, while Heston's movie shows his later age, when he was a fugitive, with a declining health, living among people who don't know about his early life, cut off from the European world which wishes to persecute him as a war-criminal, and finally facing the challenge of asserting himself to his own son, who finds him out and confronts him with the horrid past. As far as the later life of the man is concerned, Heston's playing the role is quite convincing.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:04 pm 
El Cid

tizzyd
Gregory Peck went over-the-top in his portrayal of the younger Mengele. Heston's performance as the aging monster in exile was just about perfect.
I'm pleased Chuck left the stage with one final great performance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:46 am 
El Cid

Just noticed something when watching THE OMEGA MAN recently. Matthias calls Neville "The Angel of Death," which happened to be the nickname of Mengele.

So Heston, who played God and Moses, was also The Angel of Death in two different movies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:39 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Quite a thing to put on one's resumé :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:52 pm 
El Cid

Heston is a man for all seasons, to be sure!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:48 am 
El Cid

The latest book on Chuck by Marc Eliot, "Charlton Heston: Hollywood's Last Icon" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charlton-Hesto ... 0062420437 is a terrific read, but I don't agree with the author when he states that Heston's final movie appearance is just a mere cameo in MY FATHER, RUA ALGUEM 5555.

This reviewer on Amazon hit the nail on the head in her last sentence-

Rare film well worth catching
By Vicki Walsh, 15 May 2013

Charlton Heston's final film and a fitting swan song. Ironic that one of cinemas greatest heroes end his career playing one of the 20th Century's greatest villains. However he is very good and very subtle in the role of Josef Mengele ( not actually mentioned by name) in this story of a young German who discovers his father is a notorious Nazi war criminal. The son ( Thomas Kretschmann ) visits his ailing father in hiding in Brazil in the late 70s looking for an explanation. The story develops in flashback as the young man relates his tale to a Jewish lawyer ( a dependable F.Murray Abraham ) representing the families of Jewish victims of the death camps. It's a thought provoking drama tackling difficult subject matter without sensationalising the events depicted. There's strong support from Kretschmann but its Heston's film - it is good to see him take on a substantial role after spending the latter years of his career mainly doing blink-and-you-will-miss-him cameos. Well worth seeking out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next