Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:23 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Touch of Evil
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:52 am 
Astronaut

He can call a spade a spade! And we can call Heston a Heston, indeed! :cheers:

Spielberg again! What a stumbling block he has become in our forums, he he. :twisted:

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:33 am 
Astronaut

Excerpts from a newspaper review titled "The Man Who Touched Evil and Saved the World". Quite catchy, isn't it?

Quote:
“What does it matter what you say about people?” Marlene Dietrich asks at the end of that 1958 American masterpiece “Touch of Evil.” She’s talking about the dead cop Hank Quinlan, a mound of stilled flesh and lasting corruption given frightening life by the film’s director, Orson Welles. The man who brings him down is Vargas, the upright Dudley Do-Right Mexican detective with a paint-on tan. Lantern jaw set like a vise, this is of course Charlton Heston.

The whole article contains some appraisal of 'Major Dundee' and 'Soylent Green', you can read that from the link. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/07/movie ... .html?_r=0 Here I am quoting relevant portions for this thread.

Quote:
Welles called Mr. Heston “the nicest man to work with that ever lived in movies.” These two seemingly unlikely collaborators were brought together to star in a pulpy Universal Pictures project originally titled “Badge of Evil.” Mr. Heston thought that his co-star had been hired as the director (“any picture that Welles directs, I’ll make”), which prompted the studio quickly to sign Welles up for what would be his last Hollywood studio gig. Welles rewrote the screenplay and shot much of the film in Venice Beach in Los Angeles. History, alas, repeated itself, and he lost control of the film as he had on “The Magnificent Ambersons,” which is a different story from the one I want to tell. (A beautifully re-edited version was released in 1998 and is available on DVD.)

It was Welles who decided that Mr. Heston should play the role as a Mexican, partly as a way of building up what he considered to be an uninteresting character. (At first glance it may seem as if Welles failed.) Shortly after the film opens, Vargas and his delectable new American bride, Susan (Janet Leigh), kiss at the Mexican-American border, a passionate embrace that leads to a cataclysmic explosion and soon plunges the newlyweds into a phantasmagoria of sleaze, violence and very low camera angles. Vargas, a celebrity cop who has brought a case against a drug ring that’s about to go to trial in Mexico City, spends much of the story separated from Susan and circling Quinlan, a dirty American lawman.

In long shot and choking close up, Welles directs Mr. Heston brilliantly, making particularly memorable use of the actor’s physicality, his big, rangy body and the hard, clean right angles of his face. The ramrod straight, straight as an arrow Vargas, with his impossibly long and loping stride, could not look or register more different from Quinlan, an amorphous blob who all but rolls across the screen. Welles exploits Mr. Heston’s rigidity as a performer (and his American movie-star presence) for the character, using what in other films sometimes seemed like a limitation of craft and technique to the great advantage of the story’s texture and meaning. He turns Mr. Heston’s jutting jaw into the wagging finger of righteousness, deepening the film’s complex morality.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 pm 
Cheating Bastard

I'm surprised this movie hasn't been discussed more often. Isn't this movie in the IMDB top 250?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:41 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

GeorgeForeman69 wrote:
I'm surprised this movie hasn't been discussed more often. Isn't this movie in the IMDB top 250?

Indeed it is, it currently lies in 168th place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:59 pm 
Prince Judah

It's #170 as of today.

Here's a neat little analysis of the famous opening shot of the film, complete with a slide show of the action:

http://www.empireonline.com/features/ci ... ers/15.asp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:28 pm 
El Cid

I may be one of the few who prefer to see this amazing opening of the movie in its original form, complete with the credits and the music. Thank goodness both versions are on my dvd of TOUCH OF EVIL.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:34 am 
Call Me Harry

James Byrne wrote:
I may be one of the few who prefer to see this amazing opening of the movie in its original form, complete with the credits and the music. Thank goodness both versions are on my dvd of TOUCH OF EVIL.

Yeah I prefer the opening complete with the music, but I enjoy going back & forth and comparing the differing versions.

You know, I can't recall if Chuck talked much about working with Janet Leigh on this film in his autobiography...