Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: The Big Country
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:42 pm 
Call Me Harry

itsjudah24 wrote:
Quote:
As Peck and Simmons ride off into the sunset – we are sure that Heston and Carroll Baker will complete their own circle (though we don’t get to see it).

The person who wrote this, is too optimistic about the relation between Miss Terril and Steeve Leech. The point is, how can they ever come together? There was no true love or even a mutual companionship, on the part of Leech it was mere infatuation and jealous desire, and for the proud, pampered girl... is she capable of any such feeling at all? And we know that by the end Leech grows into a nobler kind of maturity to see into life and its experiences, it is hard to believe that he can still hang after that girl any more.

Yeah, it's hard to believe that Leech would still want to be with Pat after the climax of the film - assuming she doesn't somehow blame him for her father's death (he was there and he's still alive while Dad isn't so somehow it must be Leech's fault, wouldn't that be her logic?). I could see Leech staying on for a while to help keep the place running before possibly leaving to find work for better people somewhere else, but beyond that I can't see his infatuation with Pat lasting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:12 am 
Call Me Harry

So I was watching TBC a few nights ago and a thought occurred to me -

Neither family can claim to be innocent victims which is part of why this film works so well, but consider for a moment if the Terrills were portrayed more sympathetically with some more human traits, would the film still be as effective?

Say if towards the end of her screen time Patricia Terrill starts to understand that she and Jim McKay really aren't suited for each other and starts wondering aloud if it would be better to just break up and let him go back to the East, where she believes he belongs, feeling that he just isn't hard enough for the old west (strictly her opinion)? Would that undermine the character and the film?

Or Major Terrill was portrayed as genuinely wanting to end the feud while still using the same flawed tactics shown in the film (watching the film I couldn't shake the feeling that he enjoyed the feud on some level)? Would that undermine the conflict and film?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:05 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I'd say the unsympathetic qualities of most of the characters is what made the movie so good and interesting. These were stubborn, stubborn people, knowing that their way of life was the right one. McKay was the middle man, the outsider who could see it from both angles and just do what was right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:12 am 
Call Me Harry

You're probably right, Thorn.

Is there any truth to the claim that Peck wore lifts so he'd appear taller than Chuck?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:13 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
You're probably right, Thorn.

Is there any truth to the claim that Peck wore lifts so he'd appear taller than Chuck?

What? Where did you read this? Doesn't sound like Peck, from all I've read on him. I think he was taller than Chuck already, not by more than an inch or so, though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:27 pm 
El Cid

I think that EL-CID-1983 is confusing Gregory Peck with Rex Harrison. That story about the shoe lifts first surfaced after THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY. Harrison and Heston didn't get on, it appears, and from what I've read in Diane Cilento's autobiography neither did Chuck and her then husband Sean Connery, who visited the set.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:51 am 
Call Me Harry

James Byrne wrote:
I think that EL-CID-1983 is confusing Gregory Peck with Rex Harrison. That story about the shoe lifts first surfaced after THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY. Harrison and Heston didn't get on, it appears, and from what I've read in Diane Cilento's autobiography neither did Chuck and her then husband Sean Connery, who visited the set.

I just read somewhere on line that Peck wore lifts but I do remember reading that about Rex Harrison jacking up his boots and how he didn't get along with Chuck on "The Agony & The Ecstasy". They say Richard Harris also jacked up his boots on "Major Dundee".

Never heard anything about Chuck not getting along with Sean Connery in whatever chance encounters they may have had. I'm suddenly curious as to how well Diane got along with Chuck on "Agony"...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:25 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:

What the heck? Why wouldn't those fellows get along? What could they possibly argue about during those visits? Can you share some more information from what is written about that in the book, James?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:30 pm 
El Cid

There isn't much Thorn. From what I can remember from reading it years ago Cilento mocked Heston's performance because Chuck didn't play Michelangelo as a homosexual dwarf, which she reckons he was. Something like that. Connery visited her on the set and she mentions that there was some friction between them, but she didn't go into much detail unfortunately. I am going to Nottingham later in the week and they have a copy in their huge entertainment section, so I'll look it up and see if I can enlighten you further.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:02 pm 
Call Me Harry

James Byrne wrote:
There isn't much Thorn. From what I can remember from reading it years ago Cilento mocked Heston's performance because Chuck didn't play Michelangelo as a homosexual dwarf, which she reckons he was. Something like that. Connery visited her on the set and she mentions that there was some friction between them, but she didn't go into much detail unfortunately. I am going to Nottingham later in the week and they have a copy in their huge entertainment section, so I'll look it up and see if I can enlighten you further.

Some of what I've heard about Cilento suggests she walked away from the limelight a bitter and cynical woman. I know I remember reading her bad mouthing her ex-husband Connery after their divorce in her autobiography "My 9 Lives".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8