Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:26 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: BAD FOR EACH OTHER
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:22 pm 
El Cid

The Times. Monday, January 25 1954.
Dominion
"Bad for Each Other", - The rich, spoilt Helen (Miss Lizabeth Scott) was certainly bad for Dr. Thomas Owen (Mr. Charlton Heston), but why was Dr. Owen bad for Helen? Dr. Owen is an Army doctor with ideals, yet when he comes out the Army he practises not among the deserving miners of Coalville, where he was born, but among the wealthy hypochondriacs of Pittsburgh who are Helen's friends. Dr. Owen puts a brave face on it yet it is plain that handing out meaningless drugs instead of doing some honest work is getting him down, and the explosion at Coalville, which gives him something real to do and restores him to his senses, his ideals, and the pretty nurse Joan (Miss Diane Foster) must have come as a relief. At least so this resolutely virtuous but never convincing film would have the audience believe.

Post subject: Re: BAD FOR EACH OTHER
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:24 am 
Michelangelo

A clip of Bad For Each Other:

:cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:36 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

You are damned good at finding these things, CHfan! Cheers!

:cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:38 pm 
Prince Judah

I just watched this one for the first time on TCM. This wasn't some great moment for me, as this is one of Heston's lesser films, a tepid drama. It was pretty short, too, a small film all-around. It reunited Heston with Lizabeth Scott from Dark City, his first pro film. Heston's character does have an interesting arc - he starts the film as a military man - a colonel - on leave at his hometown, in uniform, and then becomes a doctor tending to rich folk.

There were a couple of memorable scenes: an early one has Heston getting punched. This barely fazes him; he warns his attacker not to do that and that's it. Where other guys might be traumatized by the incident for a while, Heston acts like he gets punched once a day and it's an old thing :lol: . Another late scene has an elderly female character lecturing on ethics to Heston and Scott. It rings true.

Heston fills the military uniform very well, as we might expect, but he looked a bit out of place in the doctor's smock that he wears a lot in the film, for some reason. Maybe it's that I wasn't used to him playing a physician or maybe it was the story itself - the military man trying to fit into polite civilian society. He pulled it off, no question, just that something seemed a bit off. The ending was abrupt (a short film, remember), as Heston's doctor decides to change course after an event.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:00 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I have to admit this is probably one of the Chuck movies I haven't seen yet that I'm not exactly going out of my way to see. Haven't heard a lot about it and what I have heard was not overly positive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:44 pm 
El Cid

I liked BAD FOR EACH OTHER.
There is a scene early in the movie that broke me up. Heston's real-life wife slits her wrists at a party and the way Chuck just nonchalantly attends to this emergency made me howl laughing. It must be a terrible Heston movie if Lydia slits her wrists so early on I thought to myself. BFEO is okay, I liked it a lot, but maybe thats because of decades of reading terrible things about it I expected the movie to be a colossal turkey - which it most certainly isn't!

Post subject: Re: BAD FOR EACH OTHER (1953)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:26 pm 
Prince Judah

I'm watching this again on the TCM Channel (the channel's recognition of Heston's birthday). I noticed that Heston provides narration at the beginning of the film - he describes his hometown of Coalville in a quasi-poetic fashion. Heston became well known for his narrator's voice later in his career. I'm wondering if this is the earliest instance of using his voice for narration in a film (1953). His narration returns later in the film, btw.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:27 pm 
El Cid

"The Milwaukee Sentinel" 25 April 1953
=========================
LOUELLA O. PARSONS IN HOLLYWOOD
-----------------------------------------
Charlton Heston, as the surgeon in "Scalpel" was ready to do the scene with an actress designated in the script as merely "society patient."
Irving Rapper, the director, said, "You know your lines, Charlie, I think we'll shoot this without a rehearsal." Heston was surprised - but not half as astounded as he was a moment later when the "society patient" was ushered in - nobody but Mrs. Charlton Heston!
Yep, without Charlton's knowledge, the Mrs. (the former actress, Lydia Clarke) had got herself the job.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:47 pm 
El Cid

Modern Screen preview of BAD FOR EACH OTHER

BAD FOR EACH OTHER. Real inspiring story about a fine young man (Charlton Heston) from Coalville, Pa., whose fingers keep itching for money. He's a doctor, late of Korea, who returns to his natal coal pit to be socked on the jaw by an old friend.
What'd I do? he says. Not you, says this old friend. Your brother. Not only did he die in the mine explosion, he was responsible for it. My brother? says Charlton. Yes, says Mildred Dunnock, mother of both, your brother. I'll make up for it, says Charlton, falling into the silken arms of Lizabeth Scott. Liz is such a vampire her father (Ray Collins) must trot around warning boys away. She endears Heston to the idle rich and pretty soon he has an all-leather office. But in the back of his mind lurks an old sickness. That mine. That rotten brother. And Heston's nurse, big-eyed Dianne Foster, keeps looking at him
sadly. Go back to Coalville, her eyes say, that's where you belong, boy. A mine explosion brings him back and nevermore does this fine young man wander from home. — Columbia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:24 am 
Call Me Harry

I think TCM showed this a few years ago but I failed to record it. :(