Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:04 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Top 10 Alpha Males From Cinema
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:50 am 
Prince Judah

I just came across this blog titled "THE TOP 10 ALPHA MALES FROM Cinema of the Seventies" - http://www.themitchelli.com/2013/08/top ... the-1970s/
As qualified in the title, this seems to focus on the seventies, but there are surprising inclusions (see below);
You can read the full text on the blog's selections at the site, but here are the selections:

STEVE McQUEEN Image
THE GREAT ESCAPE (63), BULLITT (68), THE GETAWAY (72), PAPILLON (73), THE TOWERING INFERNO (74)
(though he was sixties cool, he reached his pinnacle in the seventies, becoming the highest paid actor then)

BURT REYNOLDS Image
DELIVERANCE (1972), THE LONGEST YARD (74), SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT, SEMI-TOUGH (77), HOOPER (78)

JACK NICHOLSON Image
THE LAST DETAIL (1973), CHINATOWN (74), ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST (75), THE SHINING (1980)

RICHARD BURTON Image
(I was genuinely surprised to see Burton included - his big films were in the Fifties & Sixties,
though he was still the macho lead as late as in THE WILD GEESE - 1978, as a modern merc)

CLINT EASTWOOD Image
DIRTY HARRY (1971), HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER (73), THUNDERBOLT & LIGHTFOOT (74), THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES (76)

PAUL NEWMAN Image
(Again, bigger in the sixties, but still strong later in THE STING (1973), THE TOWERING INFERNO (74), SLAPSHOT (77)

ROBERT REDFORD Image
JEREMIAH JOHNSON (1972), THE STING (73), THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR (75), ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN (76)

GENE HACKMAN Image
THE FRENCH CONNECTION (71), THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (72), THE CONVERSATION (74), MARCH OR DIE, SUPERMAN (78)

RICHARD ROUNDTREE Image
SHAFT (1971), SHAFT'S BIG SCORE (72), EARTHQUAKE...

and last but certainly not least...
CHARLTON HESTON Image

I was actually surprised to see Heston on this list because his heyday was the fifties & the sixties, but as the blog points out, he continued in some memorable tough guy roles in the seventies -
Quote:
The alpha and the Omega Man, Heston has played some of the most famous alpha males in cinema. Few men have had the Biblical presence and machismo that Heston brought to his roles, which included John The Baptist, Moses, and God. He played Marc Anthony in 1950’s Julius Caesar then played the character again 20 years later in the 1970 production. His turns in The Omega Man, Soylent Green, and Earthquake in the 70s showed the world that, even in his fifties, Heston still had the requisite cojónes to show the younger men who was boss.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: The Top 10 Alpha Males From Cinema
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:48 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

A good read, though I have to laugh at this list. While it nailed some, it totally missed a few key alpha males from the 70's.

Paul Newman, Robert Redford and Jack Nicholson are on the list, but Charles FREAKIN' Bronson isn't?! He was one of the biggest stars in the world in the 70's (even received a Golden Globe for it) and pretty much all his roles and movies in the 70's were the very definition of alpha. You can't have Clint Eastwood on a list like this and omit Charles Bronson, that's just unforgivable.

Also, while the Shaft series is my all-time favorite Blaxploitation films, if you're going to have an alpha male that was a large part of the Blaxploitation era of the 70's, Super Bowl I winner-turned actor Fred "The Hammer" Williamson would have been my choice as he was more prominent.

I wonder why the writer gave Heston 10 in Alpha Rating and 5 in Enduring Cool. Guess it has something to do with getting into politics. Too bad, because Heston was still a bad-*** in later years, like his role in True Lies.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:48 pm 
Prince Judah

The big puzzlement to me was Richard Burton - most of his seventies films and roles were more of a joke. He was the uber-star of the sixties - that I can see, yes - he and Elizabeth Taylor were like the ultimate Hollywood couple, but his standing went almost all away in the seventies. (check out The Klansman from 1974; he has this big scene karate chopping bad guy Cameron Mitchell in this, but he's like this fuddy-duddy professor in appearance and the whole scene is like an unintentional comedy). It would have been nice to see Bronson in place of Burton, right next to Eastwood, but maybe the writer just didn't like Bronson for some reason.

And, the whole "Enduring Cool" scores are problematic due to some of these selections. When you pick older actors like Heston & Burton, it's to be expected that their Enduring factor will probably be less than the younger actors. Heston & Burton should be in some TOP ALPHA MALE List of the Sixties. Even McQueen - yeah, he was still big in the 1970s, but he is known as the ultimate cool actor of the sixties; plugging him into a seventies list like this doesn't really make much sense. I kind of understand Roundtree in there - he was the first of the Blaxploitation stars and may have been responsible for its success, even though his own career wasn't too great by the 2nd half of the 1970s. Jim Brown started even earlier, but he didn't initiate the trend in the 1970s.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:22 pm 
El Cid

Did Heston get offered the lead in DELIVERANCE before Reynolds ... or have I just imagined it?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:54 am 
Prince Judah

You did not imagine it; here's the information in IMDb Trivia for DELIVERANCE:

Quote:
In his memoirs Charlton Heston said he declined the role of Lewis due to his commitment to Antony and Cleopatra (1972).

Both Charlton Heston and Henry Fonda turned down the role of Lewis. James Stewart was also considered for the role.
Other actors considered for the two primary roles in the film were Lee Marvin, Brando, Gene Hackman and Jack Nicholson.

I think the "memoirs" referred to above is Heston's In the Arena, but I didn't look up the passage in his book before writing this post. Or, it's from The Actor's Life book.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:10 pm 
El Cid

That would have really been something, Heston in DELIVERANCE, but Reynolds was still terrific in the role.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:41 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Another loss for Heston's career, IMO, though I'm sure he didn't regret the decision.

Report this post