Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Two-Minute Warning
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:47 pm 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
Man, I would love both versions to be included in a future DVD/Blu-ray release. I wonder if any of these TV-versions has been released on any format before or if they've been exclusive to TV only all this time?

I've long wondered why the alternate TV versions of TWO-MINUTE WARNING and/or EARTHQUAKE and/or MIDWAY haven't been released on DVD, which is the ideal video format for such 'extra' unusual stuff. These days, with advances in DVD technology and BluRay, these alternate versions could be all on one disc with the original films. These TV versions are poorer than the original versions but they offer an interesting bit of film history. I guess there's no demand for it or no one has thought to pursue this.

Also, just realized that these new posts for this film are fitting in light of the fact that the Super Bowl is about to start in 15 minutes... :popcorn:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:09 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

If a smaller company that care more about their releases, the chances would be a lot bigger to have all the TV-versions for these movies. Too bad they couldn't have been released through Shout! Factory or a similar company.

Superbowl, ey? Tried watching it once and had a whole feast prepared, but I couldn't stand the commercials being aired every two minutes. I think I enjoyed watching baseball more when I catched a couple of games even longer ago.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:58 pm 
Prince Judah

Yeah, I normally detest commercials, to the point that I prefer watching cable channels that are commercial free, just for the fact alone that there are no commercials. Same with watching films or TV shows on DVD - no commercials to mess it up. :applause: However, the Super Bowl is such an event that a few of the commercials are sort of epic in that same mode - not many, but a few. Some are sort of amusing. They also show the first big previews of a few of the big upcoming films; they already showed a preview of the next Captain America movie and "Noah" - the new version of the biblical flood with Russell Crowe. One could argue that they'll show these previews many times in the next few weeks but it has that 'seen here first' feeling about it.

btw, this latest Super Bowl game started off very strangely: the quarterback of the Broncos got distracted and missed the first snap from his team member, letting the ball fall into the end zone (resulting in a "safety" or 2 points for the opposing team) - very weird, like out of some amateur game.

EDIT: whoa, that strange beginning indicated how it would go for the rest of the game - the Broncos were wiped out by the Seahawks; current score is 43-8, with not much time left. Strange in that at least half of the predictions were for the Broncos winning or a close game, so this was something of an upset and unexpected. I wonder if this is a sign of which team was doing a bit too much partying the week before..? Also, yeah, most of the commercials were lame. :mad:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:55 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
Yeah, I normally detest commercials, to the point that I prefer watching cable channels that are commercial free, just for the fact alone that there are no commercials. Same with watching films or TV shows on DVD - no commercials to mess it up. :applause: However, the Super Bowl is such an event that a few of the commercials are sort of epic in that same mode - not many, but a few. Some are sort of amusing. They also show the first big previews of a few of the big upcoming films; they already showed a preview of the next Captain America movie and "Noah" - the new version of the biblical flood with Russell Crowe. One could argue that they'll show these previews many times in the next few weeks but it has that 'seen here first' feeling about it.

Yeah, some of the commercials I've seen over the years are really great. They have to be at a few millions for 30 seconds! Sweden didn't get the commercials though, we ran our own.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:35 am 
Prince Judah

Here's a somewhat unusual 8-minute tribute (at least I think it's a tribute) to the film, mostly utilizing scenes of the sniper, with music from another similar thriller (I think the music is from John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13/1976). This sort of 8-minute preview makes the film look a bit more exciting than it is - wait for the last minute when Heston as the cop springs into action (as usual, if you haven't seen the film yet, be aware that this is like a SPOILER and shows most of the ending):

There are comments at the youtube site that state how Heston "blew off" other films to make this mediocre thriller - they state that he blew off both JAWS and THE OMEN to make this. But, is that possible? Could he have really blown off both films just to make this? No, just one -- probably THE OMEN .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:26 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I thought he simply turned down The Omen because he didn't believe in the project, or something like that, not because of scheduling conflicts. Am I remembering things wrong? I know he writes about it in his book.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:09 pm 
Cheating Bastard

He wrote that he turned down The Omen because he was offered the role the day after he finished filming Midway and, although he liked the script, turned it down because it would require a lengthy location shoot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:17 pm 
El Cid

But Heston has stated in numerous interviews that he turned down THE OMEN because he doesn't agree with the Devil winning, as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:44 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
But Heston has stated in numerous interviews that he turned down THE OMEN because he doesn't agree with the Devil winning, as well.

Really? I've never heard that before. I have to say that is a bit disappointing. He should have tried to see past that and focus on the great script that it was. It would have shocked audiences even more had it been Judah, Moses, The Cid losing against the Devil at the end. A surprise ending for the ages, maybe.