Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Dark City
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:20 pm 
El Cid

I remember being in a cinema memorabilia shop years ago and the owners waxing lyrical about the amazing quality of the latest thing out called laserdiscs. I asked for a demonstration, and by an amazing coincidence they chose a Heston movie, THE THREE MUSKETEERS to show off the merits of laserdiscs. After about ten minutes of those guys going overboard about how "amazing it was compared to VHS" I told them bluntly that I couldn't see any difference whatsoever between video and laser, and I added just for good measure, that "Laserdiscs will be a passing fad - they are just too big and clumsy!" Not long after that they went out of business - I wonder what they did with all those thousands of laserdiscs?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:46 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Yeah, Laserdiscs were around for a very, very long time, which few are aware of. It never took of like VHS, even though it's supposed to be just a notch or two below DVD in quality possibility, if I'm not mistaken. While not a big format in the US or Japan, it was extremely rare in Europe but have become a pretty popular thing to collect.

I remember when I first saw a Laserdisc, I thought it was a soundtrack on vinyl!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:17 pm 
Call Me Harry

And to think Chuck's film debut almost starred Burt Lancaster in the lead role...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:28 pm 
Prince Judah

Was not Lancaster somewhat older in 1952 than he should have been for that role? Chuck fitted very well in that kind of a noble anti-hero sort of role. Though the movie itself was not very brilliant, it showed Chuck's capacity to star in a film noir, which later finds a better treatment in the hand of a director like Orson Welles.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:56 am 
Call Me Harry

itsjudah24 wrote:
Was not Lancaster somewhat older in 1952 than he should have been for that role? Chuck fitted very well in that kind of a noble anti-hero sort of role. Though the movie itself was not very brilliant, it showed Chuck's capacity to star in a film noir, which later finds a better treatment in the hand of a director like Orson Welles.

Lancaster would have been 39, Chuck 29, and people often felt Lancaster, who didn't start acting professionally until he was like 32, looked younger than he really was. I don't remember the film saying how old Chuck's character was supposed to be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:27 pm 
Prince Judah

Image Lizabeth Scott, who was the first actress to be paired with Charlton Heston in a Hollywood film, has just died at age 92.
The full article at Variety: http://variety.com/2015/film/news/lizab ... 201426884/ R.I.P.

[quote="Carmel Dagan"]After making her feature debut starring opposite Robert Cummings in 1945’s John Farrow-directed “You Came Along,” Scott was cast in one of the best of the noirs, “The Strange Love of Martha Ivers,” with Barbara Stanwyck, Kirk Douglas and Van Heflin; Scott played a romantic interest for Heflin’s character.

Next she starred opposite Humphrey Bogart in 1947’s “Dead Reckoning”; it was almost possible to imagine Bacall playing the woman involved in the love triangle that Bogie’s character uncovers.

Though it is hard to remember now, Scott’s career during this period did not consist solely of noirs: Her next two films were “Desert Fury” and “Variety Girl.” But she returned to the genre with “I Walk Alone,” also starring Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster. In “Pitfall” she starred opposite **** Powell, and in the 1950 noir “Dark City” she was paired with Charlton Heston; they were reunited for 1953’s “Bad for Each Other.”

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:31 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

R.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:33 am 
Marabunta

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:41 am 
Marabunta

thegoldenage3060 wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-lizabeth-scott-20150206-story.html

a great movie this with she https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ztsUnwbkow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:10 pm 
El Cid

Detective Thorn wrote:
R.I.P.

Lizabeth Scott was my favourite film noir actress. That husky voice and bad-girl look was something else!