Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Tie-in paperbacks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:43 am 
El Cid

Does anybody collect tie-in paperbacks of Heston's movies?

Post subject: Re: Tie-in paperbacks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:45 pm 
Prince Judah

An intriguing question, James. I haven't given this much thought, for whatever reason.

I can't call myself a collector of such; the only ones I have are these:

The Planet of the Apes paperback is a 15th printing, probably from 1968 (can't tell from the interior copyright page);
The Omega Man tie-in (I am Legend by Matheson) is from August, 1971, Berkley Medallion Edition.

The only other ones I have are tie-ins to Tombstone and Armageddon, in which Heston had a small role and narrated:
_________________ Image Image

Tombstone is by Giles Tippette, Berkley Jan. 1994 (based on the screenplay); Armageddon is by M.C. Bolin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:27 pm 
El Cid

I have 15 paperback tie-ins to Heston movies. I have been after THE OMEGA MAN for years, but its too expensive to buy on Amazon. The same with SOYLENT GREEN, which is so rare that I haven't seen it advertised on ebay or Amazon for ages. I used to have 55 DAYS AT PEKING when it first came out, but I lost it decades ago, and its a ridiculous price to purchase on Amazon now.

Even though you only have four Chrysagon, you have managed to obtain three that have eluded me!

My favourite is THE AWAKENING, which not only has photos in the middle, but gives you a greater understanding of the story. It made me realize that the film may have been severely edited, particularly at the beginning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:34 am 
El Cid

Chrysagon

I only made a calculated guess about the number of Heston movie tie-in paperbacks when I typed yesterday's post at my work's computer, and was way out when I wrote 15.

After finishing work I hunted through my vast library and found 30. Here is what I have, in alphabetical order-

THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY
THE AWAKENING
THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY
BEN-HUR (three different copies)
BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES (two different copies, one American and one British)
THE BUCCANEER
THE CALL OF THE WILD
COUNTERPOINT
CROSSED SWORDS
EARTHQUAKE
EL CID
THE FOUR MUSKETEERS
GRAY LADY DOWN
HAMLET
KHARTOUM
THE LAST HARD MEN
MAJOR DUNDEE
PLANET OF THE APES (1968) (two different)
PLANET OF THE APES (2001)
SKYJACKED
THE THREE MUSKETEERS
TREASURE ISLAND
TRUE LIES
TWO-MINUTE WARNING
WILL PENNY
THE WRECK OF THE MARY DEARE

I have just ordered THE OMEGA MAN a few minutes ago, even though it was overpriced.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:25 pm 
Prince Judah

That's quite a list, James. I guess we can't get a picture of these because you use a library computer?

I wasn't aware that The Omega Man paperback was so pricey to get until you pointed it out. I just checked around on eBay and one seller has it up for $20 while still another wants $65 for his! :o (I think the $65 sale one is probably in excellent condition). However, it's one thing to want such a price for it and another to actually sell it. I notice other copies actually sold for under $10 - though these were probably in worse condition. One seller put his up for bid in December and only got $2.50 for it; he was honest about the condition though - his was coming apart i.e. the cover was loose and so on. Mine is not in great shape either; I was tempted to put in on sale just out of curiosity (most paperbacks don't sell quickly and usually for low prices) but I don't really want to part with mine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:04 pm 
El Cid

I'll take some photos of my collection and get my daughter to post them for me.

I had this 55 DAYS AT PEKING tie-in for many years but cannot locate it now, but the price they are charging is plain ridiculous-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... 1425391233

With postage, this paperback would amount to £52, which is exorbitant, to say the least.

Another paperback tie-in I had once, now lost, was DIAMOND HEAD, but that never seems to appear on Amazon or ebay for some reason.

I thought the PEKING tie-in was pricey until I found this advert for THE BIG COUNTRY tie-in http://biblio.co.uk/the-big-country-by- ... ork/503170

Who in their right mind would pay that price for a paperback?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:57 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Those are some very expensive tie-ins! I haven't begun collecting these just yet, I have enough time finding space for my movie and soundtrack collections. Looking forward to see pics of your collection, James!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:01 pm 
El Cid

I just bought DIAMOND HEAD from a second-hand bookstore in Nottingham.