Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:46 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Heston's Sci-Fi films by box office gross
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:04 pm 
Prince Judah

Here's a list of Heston's Science Fiction films by order of box office gross, adjusted for inflation:
(source: HubPages hub for Heston http://cogerson.hubpages.com/hub/Charlt ... ltsGrosses)

1. PLANET OF THE APES (1968) $200.30 million Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall

2. BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES (1970) $97 million James Franciscus, Charlton Heston

3. THE OMEGA MAN (1971) $42.1 million Charlton Heston, Anthony Zerbe

4. SOYLENT GREEN (1973) $35.8 million Charlton Heston, Edward G. Robinson

5. SOLAR CRISIS (1990) :?: (probable $3 or $4 million only)

Post subject: Re: Heston's Sci-Fi films by box office gross
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:17 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Such a shame that The Omega Man and Soylent Green weren't bigger hits, though I guess the budgets weren't that big so they made a nice profit, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:31 pm 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
Such a shame that The Omega Man and Soylent Green weren't bigger hits, though I guess the budgets weren't that big so they made a nice profit, anyway.

Yeah, that's one thing which is not considered when presenting just these simple box office numbers - that is, the budgets of the various films. A film like KHARTOUM didn't gross any more than THE OMEGA MAN, but the budget for KHARTOUM (inflated dollars) was probably in the $75 million range. With THE OMEGA MAN, what need was there for big budget dollars? Chuck probably got a good salary, but how much budget did they need for stuff like empty streets? I'd guess that the budget for THE OMEGA MAN would fall into the $15-$20 million range (films cost less to make back then, even if inflating the figures - actual budget was probably $3-$4 million), which means its gross was pretty good for that film.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:41 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
Such a shame that The Omega Man and Soylent Green weren't bigger hits...

I happened across more box office information on a Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_1 ... ted_States I was surprised to see that The Omega Man was the #1 film at the U.S. box office on its 2nd through 4th weekends (it may have expanded to more theaters in its 2nd weekend).
Quote:

# Weekend end date| Film| Box office _______ Notes
31 August 1, 1971 Shaft $1,482,943
32 August 8, 1971 The Omega Man $3,294,924 The Omega Man reached #1 in its second weekend release.
33 August 15, 1971 The Omega Man $2,424,895
34 August 22, 1971 The Omega Man $1,294,924

There might be extenuating circumstances, such as there being no other popular films released on those weeks, but this still surprised me because I always thought that The Omega Man had so-so box office, but there it is spelled out in box office history - the number one film for 3 weeks in a row! (Omega indeed!) :neville:

btw, those are actual grosses, not inflated; in other words, you'd have to multiply those numbers by 5 or 6 to get figures which are adjusted for inflation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:28 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I don't remember the circumstances around him saying it, but I remember Heston calling The Omega Man a hit in his book.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:01 pm 
Cheating Bastard

Detective Thorn wrote:
I don't remember the circumstances around him saying it, but I remember Heston calling The Omega Man a hit in his book.

I believe he said that-because he'd had some recent financial failures-he needed a hit and got one with The Omega Man. Have a feeling he said that he regarded The Omega Man as a good but not great film but the most important thing was that it was a big hit at a time in his career where he felt he needed one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:22 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

That rings a bell, thanks for clearing that up!