Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:46 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Which ending do you prefer?
Planet of the Apes 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
Beneath the Planet of the Apes 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Re: Planet of the Apes Vs Beneath the Planet of the Apes end
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:27 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

So you're the second one who voted for the Beneath the Planet of the Apes ending?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:08 am 
Prince Judah

I was re-reading some of the old threads here in the Sci-Fi section, including this one, and it suddenly occurred to me that the Hollywood decision-makers would have still been able to bring Heston back for a 3rd Apes film if, for example, he had been contractually obligated to do another film. As was mentioned before on this thread, blowing up the planet in the 2nd Apes film seemed a surefire way of preventing the Taylor character from returning. But, there was a simple way to do an alternate version of Escape From the Planet of the Apes:

In this other version, the plot is similar in that the talking smart chimps Cornelius, Zira and Milo still go back in time to present day Earth, circa 1971 or maybe a year earlier. But, in this version, they encounter Taylor (Heston) and his astronaut team just before they are scheduled to go on their trip into space. Of course, this Taylor doesn't know them or recognize them because he is an earlier version of Taylor, the one who has yet to journey into the future (the weird aspects of time travel plots). This would have been possible to do if in 1971 because Heston was then virtually the same age as he was in the 1968 film and could have played Taylor again at about that same age.

CHARLTON HESTON * RODDY McDOWALL * KIM HUNTER in
    ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES
    co-starring ERIC BRAEDON * ROBERT GUNNER * JEFF BURTON * DIANNE STANLEY

ImageImage
The plot could go in several possible directions - the chimps eventually confide in Taylor and warn him not to go, but they are killed as in the original film and Taylor is sent on his space trip... bringing things full circle... or so it seems... :ddape:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:06 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

That could definitely have worked. I'm kind of glad it didn't, though. I think I'd prefer Taylor's life on earth to be undisclosed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:49 am 
Prince Judah

I think I know what you mean - retaining a sense of purity about Taylor's character by restricting it to just what we see of his character in the far future, in the 1st 2 films. It is tantalizing, however, to think of the possibilities - the set-up was all there; Cornelius & Zira, though smart, have no experience with time travel and wonder why Taylor doesn't recognize them; it falls to genius chimp Milo to explain to them the whole paradox, that this is a slightly younger Taylor who hasn't met them yet... and so on. It would have made for some interesting scenes.

Anyway, I'm just pointing out that, despite Heston's efforts to cut off any further involvement in the Apes franchise by very extreme measures (blowing up the planet), continuing his character would have been still fairly easy to do if the studio bigwigs had him under some kind of contract and could force him to go on with it. And, as unsatisfying as it is to you, think of how Heston would have felt about it if this did happen; I recall a famous line from The Godfather Part III: "Just when I thought I was out... THEY PULL ME BACK in!" :lol:

And, there was no reason to stop there, knowing Hollywood and sequels. They could just as easily have Heston star in the 4th film, as well. Like before, Heston figured it was finally over; the 3 films formed a perfect circle, right? Wrong. Heston gets a call from a studio suit:

SUIT: "Well, Chuck, we're ready to do the 4th film. It's called Conquest of the Planet of the Apes."
    C HESTON: "That's fine. What's that got to do with me..?"
    SUIT: "You're going to star in it."
    CH: "How's that? No, the last film, Escape, leads directly into the first one. What, you're going to remake the first one?"
    SUIT: "No, no. Change of plan. New film. And, you're contracted for 4 sequels, remember."
    CH: "But, how? How would it work..?"
    SUIT: "Simple - Cornelius warned Taylor about traveling 2000 years into Earth's future. Taylor gets nervous on the spaceship and fiddles with the controls. He ends up changing the course the ship takes and it only goes 20 years into the future. You end up back on Earth just as the son of Cornelius, Caesar, is about to begin the Ape Revolt. You team up with him because you hate your fellow man. Roddy will be back as Caesar! It'll be great!"
    CH: "...hate my fellow m.. no, I hate.. I mean, Taylor hates apes even more! That's insane!"
    SUIT: "No, no, it'll be a great turning point for your character arc; you went to seek something better than man and you find it back on Earth, with Caesar -- you'll be like Mark Antony to the Caesar Ape! Terrific, huh?"
    CH: "But I was going to play the real Antony, I mean the Shakespeare Antony in my new film, Antony & Cleopatra - directing it too.."
    SUIT: "No, this will be better! And, we've already got the 5th film planned out! A gorilla named Brutus kills Caesar and you make this big speech to a crowd of Apes, Humans and mutants! Right? You ask 'em, was Caesar ambitious? Great stuff, eh?"
    CH: "No, Damn you! Godamn you to HELL-L-L-L-L..!!!!"

CHARLTON HESTON * RODDY McDOWALL in
CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
also starring DON MURRAY * NATALIE TRUNDY * ROBERT GUNNER

__________ JEFF BURTON and RICARDO MONTALBAN as Armando

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:15 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

:lol:

By the way, just realised Chuck in a third wouldn't work. Taylor would have recognized Cornelius and Zira in the first movie if he had met them earlier on earth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:44 pm 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
By the way, just realised Chuck in a third wouldn't work. Taylor would have recognized Cornelius and Zira in the first movie if he had met them earlier on earth.

In one sense, you're correct, Thorn, but when we deal with time travel, there may be paradoxes.
In essence, the Taylor in this new version of the 3rd film is not the same Taylor we saw in the 1st film. Cornelius & Zira have gone back to a different timeline, or - more strange - they are also not the exact same Cornelius & Zira we saw in the 1st film. I've had that theory with the original version of the 3rd film anyway - they are not the same Cornelius & Zira because they had knowledge of Earth history which the two chimps of the 1st film did not have.

And, the thing of it is - the new version of the 4th film I concocted corrects this error you bring up: as we see / read about in this new version of the 4th film, this version of Taylor does not go 2000 years into the future; he only goes 20 years into the future and never meets Cornelius & Zira in the far future; he only goes so far as to meet Caesar and gets mixed up in the Ape Revolt of 1991.