Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Number One
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:26 am 
Prince Judah

Chrysagon wrote:
I'm not sure if you were referring to Chuck himself or his character getting hurt, but I just read an interview with Heston in FILMFAX magazine and he stated that he cracked a couple of his ribs during filming of this one, so some scenes on the football field were a bit too realistic, as it turns out. ... I suppose this may have been a way to emphasize the callous, unfeeling nature of the whole pro sports empire and how Heston's qb was just the latest casualty in a long line of players.

I am referring to both, Chrysagon. Chuck's character got hurt as the script demanded, and Chuck himself broke his ribs because he insisted that the three big defenders, real professional footballerswho played as Ron's opponent team-members, must throttle him to make the scene look authentic. On the first take, he received a casual push but that was not enough to smash him to the ground. So he asked the trio to do it as violently as they would do it to stop and tackle an opponent on the field.

I fully agree with you on the hard and unfeeling nature of the sports-world. Supporters demand victory, sports-critics are ready to criticise strategies, the coach jumps and yells, but it is only the player on the field who have to endure or the physical and mental stress. A moment's failure to keep the almost perfect coordination of your body and brain may be dangerous, may cause a serious injury(I am speaking from my experience!). And nobody will say that it is unfair to tackle one man by three defenders. The hardness of the situation comes out pretty well from the football-scenes.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:54 am 
Cheating Bastard

I watched this movie recently (bought it through ioffer.com) and enjoyed it very much. The acting is solid and it has a real 60's feel to it (in a good way). The one flaw in this film, in my opinion, was Heston's inability to be convincing as a pro athlete. It's not that he is not big enough, as others have suggested, but rather his total, and I mean TOTAL, lack of conviction when throwing a football. He short arms the ball and looks very amateurish. I felt that it undermined the reality of the football sequences. Don't get me wrong. The movie is well worth watching, just not convincing at certain times.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:35 pm 
Prince Judah

Well, that may be... it depends on how one expects a convincing footballer to be in the field.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:06 pm 
Michelangelo

Number One (1969) Charlton Heston, Jessica Walter (Part 1 of 7)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFec2Av3qBs

:cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:45 am 
Astronaut

Thanks a lot!!! I was long waiting for someone to post it on the youtube.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:15 am 
Prince Judah

I am at the halftime of the game, i.e., watched it halfway. I'll share my thoughts after I finish it.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:40 pm 
Prince Judah

I ended up purchasing this one as one of Amazon's Instant Video selections, just a few days ago: http://www.amazon.com/Number-One-Charlt ... ton+heston It cost me about 10 dollars. I can now watch it anytime I want on my computer screen - I prefer the quality of this Amazon video to the youtube version; it's about the difference between DVD and VHS, I think.

There's an early scene when Chuck's character is verbally assaulted by two older women; they try to get his autograph, but he's in a bad mood and brushes them off, so they harass him with insults. It's very amusing, including how he later complains to his wife about how he was approached by a couple of lunatics. It's in stark contrast to his usual heroic roles; here, he has trouble dealing with two middle-aged women and seems to lose the battle. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:38 pm 
El Cid

NUMBER ONE and MY FATHER: RUA ALGUEM 5555 are the only Charlton Heston movies in which he rides on a bus.