Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Diamond Head
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:26 am 
Prince Judah

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Say anyone here ever see "Kings of the Sun"? 1963, had Chuck's old sparring partners Yul Brynner (from the 10 Commandments) and George Chakiris (this film) as leaders of rival cultures who, after the usual misunderstandings, must unite or perish in the face of a common threat.

I saw Kings of the Sun on TV as a kid, a long time ago; then I bought the DVD edition a few years ago, so that I could watch a quality picture version. When I was a kid, the film's story was very exotic and almost alien to me, since it had no Europeans in it and focused exclusively on the Indian cultures (the Mayans and the Native Americans). Even at that early age, I was already used to seeing the conflict between white men and Indians in films, and I kept waiting for some soldiers or invaders from Europe to pop up. They never did and the film stayed with the Indians and their inner clashes. It's an unusual example of seeing an alternate culture for the entire film, with no white men (forgetting that there were actors like Richard Basehart and Leo Gordon as the villain in the film). Mel Gibson tried something like this many years later in his film Apocalypto - but even there it had that final shot of ships.

Yul Brynner must have worked out even more than he usually did for this role; he was really lean, just muscle and no fat in this role - which was required I guess because he was running around with very little clothing for all of the film. It had to show that his character was basically running or fighting for his whole life out in the wilderness. Unusual locale also - mostly in or near a beach area. I think this film took place at a time before the Europeans reached America, which is also unusual.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:40 pm 
Call Me Harry

Chrysagon wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Say anyone here ever see "Kings of the Sun"? 1963, had Chuck's old sparring partners Yul Brynner (from the 10 Commandments) and George Chakiris (this film) as leaders of rival cultures who, after the usual misunderstandings, must unite or perish in the face of a common threat.

I saw Kings of the Sun on TV as a kid, a long time ago; then I bought the DVD edition a few years ago, so that I could watch a quality picture version. When I was a kid, the film's story was very exotic and almost alien to me, since it had no Europeans in it and focused exclusively on the Indian cultures (the Mayans and the Native Americans). Even at that early age, I was already used to seeing the conflict between white men and Indians in films, and I kept waiting for some soldiers or invaders from Europe to pop up. They never did and the film stayed with the Indians and their inner clashes. It's an unusual example of seeing an alternate culture for the entire film, with no white men (forgetting that there were actors like Richard Basehart and Leo Gordon as the villain in the film). Mel Gibson tried something like this many years later in his film Apocalypto - but even there it had that final shot of ships.

Yul Brynner must have worked out even more than he usually did for this role; he was really lean, just muscle and no fat in this role - which was required I guess because he was running around with very little clothing for all of the film. It had to show that his character was basically running or fighting for his whole life out in the wilderness. Unusual locale also - mostly in or near a beach area. I think this film took place at a time before the Europeans reached America, which is also unusual.

You know, I go to TV Tropes & Idioms, they're page on THE TEN COMMANDMENTS had someone write under the "Dying For Your Art" trope that, contrary to the reports of Brynner working out extra hard for his role in Ten Commandments, Brynner never actually "worked out in the gym sense" but was simply very active in his daily life and that his physique in that film was pretty much a result of how he looked from being "very active", which I kind of have a hard time believing because, well, frankly it's hard to be that cut if you don't have some kind of work out routine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:14 pm 
Prince Judah

What I remember reading about The Ten Commandments (maybe it was even in the CH Forums somewhere) is that Brynner had problems with his height; Chuck Heston was a lot taller; Brynner was only about 5' 8" in real life. So, Brynner was taking some kind of steps to look taller, like lifts in his shoes (or sandals?), so he didn't look too much shorter than Heston.

As far as his physical shape, it's possible that Brynner was similar to Brad Pitt, who it's been said had won the genetic lottery as far as his physical looks, including the shape his body was in. I read about Pitt a few years ago, something about how he didn't have to work out, that he just was lucky in that respect. How much truth there is to all that -- not sure. But, one thing - for a role like his Achilles in Troy (2004), even Pitt had to get into better shape, because he had to look like a powerful warrior. So, he couldn't just coast on his usual looks and had to attain more muscle. It might be the same case with Brynner for his role in Kings of the Sun - he had to get into even better shape than he usually was. I did see a documentary on Brynner a few days ago; there was footage of him water-skiing - this is way back in the fifties or sixties - so that might have been an example of his active life. Maybe he was always doing stuff like that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:35 am 
Call Me Harry

Chrysagon wrote:
What I remember reading about The Ten Commandments (maybe it was even in the CH Forums somewhere) is that Brynner had problems with his height; Chuck Heston was a lot taller; Brynner was only about 5' 8" in real life. So, Brynner was taking some kind of steps to look taller, like lifts in his shoes (or sandals?), so he didn't look too much shorter than Heston.

Yeah I remember reading about that. Even outside of working with Heston on 10 Commandments Brynner issues about looking short on camera. When he did "The Magnificent 7" he'd make a little pile of dirt to stand on so he'd look taller - only for Steve McQueen to kick it over after each take. Besides what appeared to be lifts in the sandals Brynner would often be positioned standing on a step so that he'd at least look eye level or close to it opposite Heston, which is very obvious in a number of long shots because there simply was no other way of getting around the fact that Brynner was a lot shorter than Heston. Good thing Brynner had an equally impressive baritone voice and a larger than life personality.

It seems Brynner wasn't alone on this either. Richard Harris reportedly jacked up his boots while filming "Major Dundee" so that he wouldn't look shorter than Heston either - which he was even if not by a whole lot. Harris looked to be 6-feet even, maybe 6'1", clearly not as short as Yul Brynner, though not as stocky as Heston.

Quote:
As far as his physical shape, it's possible that Brynner was similar to Brad Pitt, who it's been said had won the genetic lottery as far as his physical looks, including the shape his body was in. I read about Pitt a few years ago, something about how he didn't have to work out, that he just was lucky in that respect. How much truth there is to all that -- not sure. But, one thing - for a role like his Achilles in Troy (2004), even Pitt had to get into better shape, because he had to look like a powerful warrior. So, he couldn't just coast on his usual looks and had to attain more muscle. It might be the same case with Brynner for his role in Kings of the Sun - he had to get into even better shape than he usually was. I did see a documentary on Brynner a few days ago; there was footage of him water-skiing - this is way back in the fifties or sixties - so that might have been an example of his active life. Maybe he was always doing stuff like that.

That is certainly possible.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:09 am 
Prince Judah

This also reminds me of Rex Harrison. Remember how he felt a discomfort while playing the Pope against Chuck's Michelangelo. Harrison was taller than Brynner, however.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:25 pm 
El Cid

DIAMOND HEAD is one of many Heston movies that contain incestuous overtones.