Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:16 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: In the Mouth of Madness (1995)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:38 am 
Prince Judah

Directed by John Carpenter

Production Year: 1995

starring Sam Neill, Julie Carmen, Jurgen Prochnow
John Carpenter's horror tribute to H.P. Lovecraft and, to some extent, popular horror novelist Stephen King, follows an insurance investigator (Neill) on his odyssey to find missing horror novelist Sutter Kane (Prochnow). The investigator's journey becomes nightmarish as reality seems to unravel and become more horrific the further he searches into a maze of paranoia and surreal imagery.

Post subject: Re: In the Mouth of Madness (1995)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:44 am 
Prince Judah

It's Halloween so why not look into the mouth of madness?
Charlton Heston has the role of the book publisher who sends the main character played by Sam Neill on his quest to find the missing horror novelist. It's a little more than just a bit part from what I remember (I last saw this about 15 years ago). Heston has a couple of scenes, similar in size to his role in TRUE LIES. I need to watch this film again and re-familiarize myself with it. From what I recall, Carpenter aimed at disturbing the audience and also ends up puzzling them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:26 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Carpenter is one of my favorite directors and Chuck is my favorite actor, so why don't I own this on DVD already?! I've heard mixed feelings towards the movie, but I'm fairly certain I'll enjoy it. Carpenter has yet to disappoint me, neither has Chuck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:07 am 
Prince Judah

My personal favorite of Carpenter's is THEY LIVE (1988), but I think his best work was the early stuff - HALLOWEEN (1978), ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (1981) and THE THING (1982). After that, it looked like he had used up all his best ideas and creativity. Though, I appreciate PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1987) for what it tried as a good scare.

How does IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS rate with me? A good question... and I'm not sure of the answer. As I mentioned in an above post, I last watched it in the mid-to-late nineties. My dim memory of it is that I wasn't very enthralled with it - but, I'm a lot older now and maybe I'll appreciate it more now. I'm a bit curious to see it again after writing about it in this thread and am also curious to see Heston's performance now. I don't have a DVD but maybe it's time to dig out that old Laserdisc... :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:01 am 
Prince Judah

OK, I again checked out this horror effort on my LD. This was meant to be the 3rd of Carpenter's apocalypse=end-of-the-world trilogy, preceded by THE THING (1982) and PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1987). The films have no real connection other than Carpenter directing all of them and saying that there's a connection of sorts.

This was an unusual way to end the world and a little vague: basically, Lovecraft-like monsters or demons pave the way for their takeover of Earth via a horror novelist who is more popular than Stephen King. People who read his books (and later see a film version) go mad and change (as I said, vague). There's a succession of intriguing ideas and images, but it doesn't all come together for a superior film. It's like half a good horror film, as if a few scenes are missing.
__ Image
Carpenter and his cameraman provide an audio commentary on the LD (probably also on the DVD). Unfortunately, much of this commentary consists of Carpenter asking the cameraman about the lighting of a scene and becomes tedious (though the cameraman does provide one fascinating, profound observation halfway in). Carpenter does mention one thing about Heston when Heston's first scene comes up: he states that it was fun to work with Heston because Heston had all these stories about the old days working with William Wyler and DeMille. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:24 am 
Call Me Harry

I just watched this film recently as part of the Halloween season, having wanted to watch it since I was a kid, if only because it had "that guy from Jurassic Park" (Sam Neil). I thought it was a good rental, not sure I'd buy it. Heston's scenes were both amusing and foreboding, especially his line "the movie comes out next month."

It probably would have been fun to hear Chuck talk about his glory days working for guys like Wyler and DeMille.