Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:05 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Lauren Bacall
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:34 am 
Prince Judah

Lauren Bacall just died from a stroke at age 89 - http://www.people.com/article/lauren-bacall-dies

This follows the very day after mega comic film star Robin Williams died of suicide, on August 11th. :shock:

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Lauren Bacall
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:57 am 
Prince Judah

Quote:
Lauren Bacall, the sultry presence who first hit movie screens in 1944 and then went on to play a series of sophisticated, tough-as-nails roles for the next six decades – even in real life – has died, the Humphrey Bogart Estate announced on its Facebook page. She was 89 and a longtime resident of Manhattan's Upper West Side.

ImageImage

Quote:
Launched by a Harper's Bazaar cover when she was a 19-year-old model, the former Betty Joan Perske, born to Jewish immigrants in New York City, was signed by Warner Bros. in 1943. Whatever she may have lacked in acting experience, the willowy teen made up for with a certain grace that was made camera-ready by the great director Howard Hawks. Lauren Bacall, as she had been renamed, modeled her character in 1944's adaptation of a Hemingway novel, To Have and Have Not, after Hawks's stylish wife, Nancy "Slim" Keith, and delivered the immortal line to the grizzled Humphrey Bogart, who was 25 years her senior: "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow." A star was born. So was a legendary off-screen romance.

Bacall starred with Bogart in several key films - besides her debut, To Have and Have Not, also The Big Sleep (46), Dark Passage (47) and Key Largo (48). These were rather grim thrillers, but she was also adept at comedy - How to Marry a Millionaire (53), with Marilyn Monroe. What was unusual about Bacall, besides her deep sultry voice and her looks, is that she continued to work to the very end. Many actresses, even the top flight ones, retire early due the age issue in Hollywood - but not Bacall. I remember her in the thriller The Fan (1981) - this was already late in her career and was almost like a slasher film. But, you have to give her props for continuing her efforts as a big film star so late in the game (this film also starred James Garner - I forgot this - who also just passed away recently).

She received her only Oscar nomination for her supporting role as Barbra Streisand’s mother in The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996). It's a shame that she never appeared with Heston in a film. She worked well with John Wayne in a couple of films (Blood Alley in 1955 and The Shootist in '76), so I see no reason that she and Heston wouldn't have made an interesting pair on the big screen. R.I.P.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:49 am 
Marabunta

that charming Lady, I like think that now she is with his great companion of a lifetime Bogart

http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Bacal ... %29_03.jpg

http://minaday.com/movies/wp-content/up ... ve-not.jpg

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:01 pm 
Michelangelo

Lauren Bacall, R.I.P.
:(

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:57 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

A true legend in the history of cinema.

R.I.P.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:14 pm 
Michelangelo

Remembering Lauren Bacall And Her Impeccable Elegance

http://www.thegloss.com/2014/08/13/fash ... -elegance/

R.I.P.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:03 pm 
Marabunta

CHfan2010 thanks for the link beautiful photos

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:01 pm 
Prince Judah

I mentioned above how Lauren Bacall and Heston were never in a film together; so, the other day, I ran across these photos and they give a glimpse of what could have been if the two had starred together. The old black-&-white photos are from a movie premiere of A Star is Born, which was way back in 1954:
__________________ Image
    ______________________ Image

Then we jump far ahead to 1997, The KENNEDY CENTER Honors; Bob Dylan is also in these:

____________ Image

Oh, yeah, also then-President Bill Clinton and his wife Hillary:

____________________ Image

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:25 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I'm sure Clinton was pleased to see Chuck :lol:

Bacall and Heston would have looked great together on screen.

Report this post