Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Hamlet (1996)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 am 
Michelangelo

Charlton Heston as First Player in Branagh's Hamlet (1996), Aeneas' Speech to Dido

I really like this speech! :applause: :thumbsup:
Aeneas' Speech to Dido (from the contributor's comment)
Quote:
The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark; Act 2, Scene 2: 426

'Anon he finds him Striking too short at Greeks; his antique sword, Rebellious to his arm, lies where it falls, Repugnant to command: unequal match'd, Pyrrhus at Priam drives; in rage strikes wide; But with the whiff and wind of his fell sword The unnerved father falls. Then senseless Ilium, Seeming to feel this blow, with flaming top Stoops to his base, and with a hideous crash Takes prisoner Pyrrhus' ear: for, lo! his sword, Which was declining on the milky head Of reverend Priam, seem'd i' the air to stick: So, as a painted tyrant, Pyrrhus stood, And like a neutral to his will and matter,Did nothing.

But, as we often see, against some storm, A silence in the heavens, the rack stand still, The bold winds speechless and the orb below As hush as death, anon the dreadful thunder Doth rend the region, so, after Pyrrhus' pause, Aroused vengeance sets him new a-work; And never did the Cyclops' hammers fall On Mars's armour forged for proof eterne With less remorse than Pyrrhus' bleeding sword Now falls on Priam. Out, out, thou strumpet, Fortune! All you gods, In general synod 'take away her power; Break all the spokes and fellies from her wheel, And bowl the round nave down the hill of heaven, As low as to the fiends!'

But who, O, who had seen the mobled queen 'Run barefoot up and down, threatening the flames With bisson rheum; a clout upon that head Where late the diadem stood, and for a robe, About her lank and all o'er-teemed loins, A blanket, in the alarm of fear caught up; Who this had seen, with tongue in venom steep'd, 'Gainst Fortune's state would treason have pronounced: But if the gods themselves did see her then When she saw Pyrrhus make malicious sport In mincing with his sword her husband's limbs, The instant burst of clamour that she made, Unless things mortal move them not at all, Would have made milch the burning eyes of heaven, And passion in the gods.

In Charlton Heston's Hollywood,
Quote:
The critics gave Heston high marks for his moving performance. "One of the surprises of this uncut version of Hamlet is the crucial role of the play within the play," Roger Ebert wrote in the Chicago Sun-Times. "Charlton Heston is magnificently assured as the Player King." Writing for USA Today, Mike Clark found that "Charlton Heston is a shot in the arm as the Player King." For Time's Richard Corliss, the film was "big,pretty,vigorous,thoughtful." Accolades were heard as far as Europe, where George Waser wrote in the Neue Zuercher Zeitung that Heston's performance was nothing short of "extraordinary, evoking the style of a great Victorian actor."

More about the movie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet_%281996_film%29

:cheers:

Post subject: Re: Hamlet (1996)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:01 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

If there's something Heston knew how to play, it was Shakespeare plays. He did a bunch of Shakespeare plays and had a lot of love for his work, so the inclusion of him in the movie was very fitting and I bet he jumped at the opportunity.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:52 pm 
Michelangelo

Yea, it's a small part for Heston, but it's a very good part for him. :thumbsup:
Heston was delighted to be part of the production in Hamlet.

In the Charlton Heston's Hollywood, he wrote:
Quote:
It was great to be at Pinewood once again and play in this magnificent production. Hamlet is such a wonderful story. My role of the Player King had a special significance, for the "play-within-the-play" scene is usually cut back to just the mime. It was fascinating to explore the full role, particularly to work again with Rosemary Harris (the Player Queen). Ken empathizes wonderfully with his actors. He knows where he's going and how to get there. He prods and pushes -- and I like directors who demand a lot.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:14 pm 
Prince Judah

Why not starting a new thread for a detailed discussion of his Shakespearian roles? I have asked it in another thread, I am eager to start it anytime.... But it won't be nice with just one or two to comment. We need active participation from more members.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:20 pm 
No Water For Me

I love Branagh's version of Hamlet. Firstly, he stays true to the actual text. Secondly, the music, the set, and the performances are dead on. They darkness, the madness, the irony and the tragedy are captured perfectly in his production. And while Charlton Heston played a minor role, he played it perfectly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:33 pm 
El Cid

You summed up Branagh's HAMLET perfectly, Natalie Brown. Welcome to the Charlton Heston forum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:30 pm 
Michelangelo

Richard Briers played as Polonius in Hamlet in 1996

He passed away a few days ago. R.I.P.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2013/fe ... nes-sitcom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:59 am 
Michelangelo

In Hemlet, Robin Williams played as Osric.

R.I.P.
:( :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:27 am 
Michelangelo

Actor and director Richard Attenborough dies aged 90

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28923074

Richard Attenborough acted as English Ambassador in Helmet(1996)

R.I.P.

:(