Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: an Honorary Charlton Heston US Postage Stamp
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:34 am 
Prince Judah

Here's the latest news blurb about the Heston postage stamp; there's some info about the artist and how it was done: http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/04/11/charl ... on-stamps/

See Charlton Heston's damn dirty postage stamp By Ariana Bacle on Apr 11, 2014 at 2:48PM

Planet of the Apes, The Ten Commandments, and Ben-Hur – all places we can see the late actor Charlton Heston’s face. Now we can add U.S. Postal Service stamps to the list.

Heston’s the most recent star to be honored in the Postal Service’s Legends of Hollywood stamp series, which also includes stamps bearing the images of fellow greats like Audrey Hepburn and James Dean.

“In many ways, a nation’s stamps are a cross-section of a culture, its ideals and icons, in microcosm,” Heston’s son, Fraser C. Heston, said in a statement. “As a fervently patriotic American, my father would be deeply moved to know that his image — based on one of my mother’s photographs — will be on a Forever stamp.”

Movie artist Drew Struzan took a photo of Heston taken by wife Lydia Clarke Heston and turned it into a colored portrait, complete with an image of Heston in Ben-Hur on the stamp sheet itself.

Heston won an Oscar for his performance in Ben-Hur in 1959 and was given the Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Award in 1971. Besides acting, Heston was a notable activist — he was a strong supporter of civil and gun rights — and received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2003 from President George W. Bush. Heston passed away at age 84 in 2008.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:26 pm 
Michelangelo

Charlton Heston Forever Stamp Dedication

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlLhrnZP3wo

Published on 24 Apr 2014 (SAG-AFTRA TV)
Quote:

Late Screen Actors Guild president, World War II veteran, political activist and Academy Award-winner Charlton Heston was honored in a new postage stamp from the United States Postal Service. The stamp will be the third featuring a SAG president.

:cheers:

Post subject: Postage Stam issued in Heston's honour
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:27 am 
Astronaut

I have got some information and images on the above topic, so here it strars. It makes any fan proud to see his/her icon be honoured in a postage stamp.

"HOLLYWOOD — Legendary Hollywood icon and humanitarian Charlton Heston was honored as the 18th inductee into the U.S. Postal Service’s Legends of Hollywood stamp series today. The event took place during a first-day-of-issue stamp dedication ceremony at the The Creative Life Chinese Theatre as part of the TCM Classic Film Festival.

“Acting was not Charlton Heston’s whole life,” said U.S. Postal Service Board of Governors Chairman Mickey Barnett in dedicating the stamp. “He was never afraid to stand up for his beliefs. In the 1960s, he believed so strongly in civil rights that he marched on Washington with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., whom he called ‘a 20th century Moses.’ Later, he became a strong supporter of rights for gun owners and served as president of the National Rifle Association. No matter what kind of stand he took, you always knew his beliefs came from a place of true conviction. Beyond winning an Oscar for ‘Ben-Hur,’ he also received the Motion Picture Academy’s Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, as well as the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor.”

Joining Barnett at the dedication were filmmaker Fraser C. Heston, son of Charlton Heston; Screen Actors Guild and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists Executive Vice President Gabrielle Carteris;and, American Film Institute President Emerita and former U.S. Postal Service Citizens’ Stamp Advisory Committee Chair Jean Picker-Firstenberg.

“On behalf of my mother, Lydia, my sister, Holly Rochell, and the entire Heston family, I can say enthusiastically how deeply grateful we all are that my father, Charlton, has been honored with a ‘Legends of Hollywood’ postage stamp,” said Heston. “In many ways, a nation’s stamps are a cross section of a culture, its ideals and icons, in microcosm. As a fervently patriotic American, my father would be deeply moved to know that his image — based on one of my mother’s photographs — will be on a Forever stamp.”

Throughout his seven decade career of more than 70 films, Heston played larger than life roles from U.S. presidents to Ben Hur and Moses. He worked with the Screen Actors Guild to help others in his profession, serving as a board member and later as president from 1965-71. A civil rights advocate, Heston marched with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and led the arts contingent to the 1963 March on Washington.

Heston received the Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Award in 1971. He helped found the American Film Institute and received the prestigious Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in 1978 for his philanthropic efforts. In 1997, Heston was awarded the Kennedy Center Honors, and in 2003, received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor.

The Stamp Image
Designed by art director Greg Breeding of Charlottesville, VA, the stamp features a color portrait of the actor by noted movie artist Drew Struzan of Pasadena, CA. The portrait is based on a photograph taken by Heston’s wife, Lydia Clarke Heston. The area outside of the stamps is decorated with an image of the actor from the 1959 movie Ben-Hur. Originally shot in black and white, the photo was later hand-colorized. Heston is shown wearing his costume from the film’s monumental chariot racing scene".

(from http://about.usps.com/news/national-rel ... 14_024.htm)

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

Post subject: Re: Postage Stam issued in Heston's honour
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:30 am 
Astronaut

Oscar Winner Charlton Heston Honored With Postage Stamp

Legendary actor Charlton Heston (“The Ten Commandments,” “Ben-Hur,” “Planet of the Apes”) will be honored by Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and the United States Postal Service with the issuance of a new commemorative Forever postage stamp featuring the Oscar winner. The official First Day of Issue Ceremony will take place at Hollywood’s TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX on Friday, April 11, at 10 a.m. PT during the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival. TCM’s Ben Mankiewicz is set to host the ceremony, which will be attended by members of Heston’s family. Immediately following the ceremony, the USPS will offer collectible First-Day-of-Issue postmarks and have the Charlton Heston Forever stamp and related philatelic merchandise on sale.

(from http://www.tvmediainsights.com/thursday-march-6-2014/)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:17 pm 
Prince Judah

Good topic. Here are two images celebrating the event you posted in the first post--

ImageImage

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:07 am 
Astronaut

I am very sorry, there is already a thread discussing this in the memoribilia section. I seemed to forget that altogether. I'll request Thorn to remove this thread and we may repost these pictures in the already existing thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:39 am 
Prince Judah

Whoa, this is strange -- I looked back at the start of this thread and saw that there was a petition for the Heston stamp series about 3 & 1/2 years ago and that I signed it, which I completely forgot about. I just purchased this set earlier today at my local post office - 20 stamps; it cost me just under 10 bucks. It was available earlier; I just didn't get around to it until today. Here it is:

Here is what's written on the back of the sheet, his biography:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:32 am 
Astronaut

So you have got it , knight! Congrats, and give us a treat for that. Ask Bors to arrange for a banquet...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:26 am 
Marabunta

some photos about http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news- ... /484173939