Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: MGM 90th Anniversary Trailer - Interesting...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I found watching this trailer for MGM's 90th Anniversary, interesting, for lack of a better or more appropriate word.

Anyone care to guess what it is I find "interesting"?

Why in the world would they omit footage from one of their biggest hits, which won them 11 Oscars - still a record to this day? It baffles me. It's especially noteworthy since they're planning to remake it in the very near future.

Post subject: Re: MGM 90th Anniversary Trailer - Interesting...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:26 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I didn't even watch the entire trailer. IMO, there was way too much emphasis on recent "classics". Instead of celebrating 90 years, they appeared to be celebrating only the last 40 years.

BTW, I tried listening to some of the audio commentary with Film Historians Lem Dobbs, Julie Kirgo, and Nick Redman last night. I abandoned it after getting annoyed with the comments. Of the three, Redman seemed to most enjoy the film. Dobbs was highly critical of it, and Kirgo felt compelled to let us know how she disagreed with Heston's political viewpoints and suggested that it damaged his credibility as an actor and lessened the reputation of films like Khartoum. :roll: This sort of thing drives me up the wall. IMO, they should have focused on the film and nothing else.

Kirgo also referenced the comments on Khartoum by author George MacDonald Fraser from his bookThe Hollywood History of the World. She was trying to make it sound as if Fraser was highly critical of the film in that he described the real Gordon something of a basket case. I have that book and looked up the section on Khartoum. Fraser's comments on Gordon did indeed refer to his strange personality, but he was quite complimentary of the film as history. So, I felt her quoting of Fraser's book gave an opposite impression of what Fraser said.

I may listen to more of the commentary some other time. However, as of now, I don't think there is much to be gleaned from it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:08 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

[quote="Ed Bannon"]I didn't even watch the entire trailer. IMO, there was way too much emphasis on recent "classics". Instead of celebrating 90 years, they appeared to be celebrating only the last 40 years.

Yeah, that was odd, too.

[quote="Ed Bannon"]BTW, I tried listening to some of the audio commentary with Film Historians Lem Dobbs, Julie Kirgo, and Nick Redman last night. I abandoned it after getting annoyed with the comments. Of the three, Redman seemed to most enjoy the film. Dobbs was highly critical of it, and Kirgo felt compelled to let us know how she disagreed with Heston's political viewpoints and suggested that it damaged his credibility as an actor and lessened the reputation of films like Khartoum. :roll: This sort of thing drives me up the wall. IMO, they should have focused on the film and nothing else.

With all due respect, only an idiot would seriously think a movie's reputation is lessened just because an actor in it has a political viewpoint that many disagree with. Same goes with the remark as an actor. People who reasons like this scares the **** out of me, they truly do. Arguably, America's most beloved actor, James Stewart, was a pretty hardcore republican. Has his credibility been damaged by his political views? Masterpieces like It's a Wonderful Life, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Rear Window, Vertigo, Rope etc, are their reputations lessened because of his political beliefs?

I also wonder, are there any such stupid remarks from conservatives on a commentary to a Sean Penn movie? Susan Sarandon?

Thanks for the heads up, Ed. I won't bother with it, then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:14 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Quote:
I also wonder, are there any such stupid remarks from conservatives on a commentary to a Sean Penn movie? Susan Sarandon?

That's why politics should not be a part of a discussion of art at all, unless politics actually affect the art in question. No matter what one's political leanings are, half of the potential audience listening to you won't agree with you. so, I think it's best to just not go there.

Over at the Sinatra family Forum, someone once posted something along the lines of "I think Frank Sinatra was a great singer; the only thing I held against him is that he became conservative in his later years". It was as if they guy felt he was doing Frank a favor by listening to his music in spite of his revulsion. I wonder what Frank would have said.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:41 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

[quote="Ed Bannon"]I wonder what Frank would have said.

Probably to **** off!

Nice to see another Sinatra fan on the forum, by the way :cowboy1:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:03 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Yes, Thorn, I am a big Sinatra fan. I was fortunate to see/hear him live a couple of times. First in 1974 when I was in high school, and again in '81 or '82. I listen to all the Sinatra periods, from Dorsey to Reprise, but I listen most of the time to the albums from the Capitol era.

When people ask me what kind of music I listen to, I usually say "Classical and Sinatra".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:46 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Ed Bannon wrote:
Yes, Thorn, I am a big Sinatra fan. I was fortunate to see/hear him live a couple of times. First in 1974 when I was in high school, and again in '81 or '82. I listen to all the Sinatra periods, from Dorsey to Reprise, but I listen most of the time to the albums from the Capitol era.

When people ask me what kind of music I listen to, I usually say "Classical and Sinatra".

Wow, you are so lucky. You know what my first real memory of Sinatra is? Reading a headline saying he was dead. So yeah, I'm pretty late in the game, will have to blame my young age for that. Love the guy though, Sinatra is mandatory at my house when we're playing poker. The Rat Pack, goes over well, too.

There's an urban legend, or myth, about a gig Sinatra had in a town close to mine called Finspång. He was there in 1953 during a Swedish tour accompanied by his wife, Ava Gardner. When he got to Finspång, with a terrible cold, legend has it there were only 17 people in the crowd, or 29, or 48 etc etc etc. The number people have reported for 60 years always seems to change. His tour of Sweden and the performance in Finspång was so talked about over the years that there was a documentary made about it called "Frank Sinatra Never Forgot Finspång". In it, some real fact checking was done and the real number was considerably larger, 537 to be exact. That doesn't seem to have changed much, though. My brother moved to that same little town last year and a couple of times when we joke about the town, which most people not living there find rather dull, he replies something like "At least we had Sinatra here, though about only 20 people or so attended the concert".

My town was next after that gig I believe, and there's a myth about that one as well. We have two big parks here, one is called The People Park, the other is called The Park of the People. There were thousands of people waiting for him to show up on stage and when he was late the crowd were getting anxious, the guy in charge told everyone in a humorous way that his bus had gone to the wrong park, understandably because of the similar names and that they would arrive shortly. Many, many years later the same guy admitted it was a white lie he told because he didn't think the crowd would settle down if he told them the truth, that he was having a heated argument with his wife, Ava, back at the hotel. So he bought himself some time and Frank finally showed up. Between each song he had to drink a cup of tee because of his terrible cold.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:43 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Thorn, I knew that Frank toured all over the world, but I didn't know he got as far north as Finland. The Ava Gardner relationship was on and off well into the 60's. Even though they stayed married until 1957, they were split up from the early 50's and Frank basically considered himself a bachelor. I was reading about how he was on one of his tours in the 60's. During the tour, he was supposed to play in Spain, where Ava was at the time, and he was looking forward to another reunion. He was doing "I Get a Kick Out of You" in his act at the time. When he go to the line "Some like the perfume from Spain", he'd add a "yeah!" in the days preceding the reunion with Ava. Well, the reunion did not go well, and they fought the whole time. For the rest of the tour, when he came to the line about "perfume from Spain", he replaced the "yeah!" with a "yuck."

Yes, you are a young Sinatra fan, but I started in my teens. You can't be too young to appreciate Frank. A lot of the people on the Sinatra Family forum are pretty young, too. I got into Sinatra the singer after seeing the movie The Joker is Wild on the Lare Show on TV one night. I already knew he was a fine film actor; but that movie made me appreciate Sinatra the singer. That film featured the song "All the Way" as a sort of theme to the story. I loved the song, and I loved hearing Sinatra sing it. I decided then and there I needed to get some Sinatra records (yes, vinyl records in those days) and that "All the Way" had to be included. I've been listening to him ever since.