Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:45 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Which one of the three movies based on the book do you prefer?
The Last Man on Earth 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
The Omega Man 88%  88%  [ 7 ]
I Am Legend 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Re: The Last Man on Earth, The Omega Man or I Am Legend?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:47 pm 
Marabunta

[quote="ChrysagonI did read the novel of Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny many years ago. I hope someday they make a film faithful to it - in it, the hero is a coarse anti-hero Hells Angels-type motorcyle gang member named Hell Tanner who is forced into the role of 'hero' and is nothing like any of the characters in the film version. The novel had a very anarchic, anti-establishment tone to it and some irreverance. I think the character was more similar to the Snake Plissken character in the Escape From New York 1981 film.[/quote]

You know Chysagon I never thought of that, but you are absolutely right. I wonder if the character is modeled after Tanner from the novel. :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:04 am 
Cheating Bastard

Having read the novel and seen all three movies I have to say that Price's character seemed to be the saddest and the weariest of the three leads, while Heston's was definitely the coolest as well as the easiest to identify with. Smith's character, in contrast, didn't seem to have the passion the other two had. I thought he stayed behind more out of a sense of duty than anything else. Heston's Neville, on the other hand, refused to be kicked out of his home and/or run out of town despite repeated attempts on his life. In terms of preference Omega Man is number one, Last Man on Earth number two and I Am Legend a distant third. Bottom line, the main criteria I follow is "Can I watch this movie over and over again without being bored or getting tired of it?" Since I've seen Omega Man probably a hundred times the answer must be yes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:07 am 
No Water For Me

The Omega Man is not only my favorite of the three adaptations of the novella (and it's a great novella on its own), but undoubtedly one of my top favorite Heston movies. It and Ben-Hur are probably my two great favorites. I like Will Smith as an actor and think he did a serviceable job carrying I Am Legend alone for the portions in which he was alone, but (1) his performance didn't lay a glove on Heston's in The Omega Man, where Chuck carries the movie nearly halfway all by himself save for taunting by the mutants and (2) to a great extent, I considered the presence of the dog in IAL a cheat. If you've got a dog for companionship -- while it sure as hell isn't as good as another person -- you've got one of the best companions in the universe. I mean that's what makes his going gonzo when he's deprived even of that really quite understandable.

But back to The Omega Man. Sure, Neville is a cool cat. But Heston imbues him with a lot of pain, too, if you know men. When he's in the elevator, before he has the flashback to everything going sour, Neville looks devastated. In the car shop, ripping the girlie calendar from the wall , the look on his face and the anger in his actions-- I always got the sense (when seeing the movie as a grown-up and not a child) that not only was Neville hurting at being reminded of the month the world as he'd known it ceased to be, but also that it almost physically pained him to see so much female flesh and think himself utterly and forever alone. There are plenty of scenes like that, small reactions where his ability to convey larger emotions carry through. For example, I've always loved the Woodstock scene. Not only for the sweetly ironic (and no doubt deliberately ironic) contrast of seeing the increasingly conservative Heston having memorized the movie's audio track as Neville, but also because Neville clearly gains both some human company & solace from his ritual of going to watch the show. And the one line he repeats with such intensity (something about "If you have to be afraid to go down the street..."), it's clear that he finds something he can relate to in the hippies' youthful naivete and exuberance. Especially in light of the devastating war he has good reason to think has wiped out everyone but him. Make love, not war starts to look naive, but appealing as a creed, even for a military man, if he's a thoughtful one. So, too, when the mannequin falls against him and he finds himself first amused by his clumsiness and its result and then very nearly tempted to cup its breast... His thought that he has perhaps gone crazy when he sees Lisa in the dress shop, but cannot catch her. The overall way that his drinking not only helps numb him to his daily existence, but the way it is making him take increasingly stupid chances without thinking about it -- such as going into the darkened wine cellar of the bar with a lit candle and little else to investigate a loud thump. I've always found his unplanned occasional self-destructiveness more compelling and believable than Smith's Neville having a sudden crack-up. But I also respected the writers choice in TOM to show Neville's reactions to finding people again, especially a woman, and the resurgence of purpose it brings to think he can still help someone else...

Unlike I Am Legend, The Omega Man resonates with many more achingly human moments.... The only thing that comes close in IAL is when Smith is nearly begging the mannequin he's arranged (in a fitting tribute to TOM) in the video store to respond to him. The adversaries in IAL are a complete rip-off from 28 Days and such horror fare, capable of sentient plotting accomplished outside the audience's presence (as when they rig the trap for Smith), but come nowhere near the menacing group sociopathy of Mathias and The Family.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:23 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Excellent analysis of The Omega Man, Leiningen'sLady. You bring up some interesting points. I too like the Woodstock scene a whole lot, I think it could be my favorite of the whole movie. It perfectly shows just how lonely he's been all this time and you really feel for him.

You also made an interesting remark about the dog in I Am Legend. I never thought of that, but now that I do it's true. It's a lot harder carrying a movie when you only have yourself to talk to.

Your thoughts on The Omega Man reminded me that it's high time for another watch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:18 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I'm new here and I hope you guys won't mind if I sometimes refer to how old I was growing up with these movies. (It's the way I talk 'movies' sometimes!) .

THE OMEGA MAN is my favorite, naturally. But I was 9 years old when I walked into the theater with some cousins, just in time to see Heston pull his car mightily into his garage with a Family member on his car, have him get flipped off the vehicle, and then shoot him (turns out we missed the first several minutes of the movie!). It was quite an exciting image for me, and THE OMEGA MAN remains one of my absolute favorite films. To this day I can remember vividly enjoying this movie, through the eyes of a child who was still not jaded and still impressionable... it was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

THE LAST MAN ON EARTH -- I am a horror movie fan, and I think this version is second best. I think the first half of the movie works better than the latter parts, and I do like some of the fear and dread they were able to capture here.

I AM LEGEND -- If I am going to be around here much, I ought to tell you right now that I have a serious problem with many of today's movies, and especially needless CGI cartoon-like nonsense. I thought it was completely absurd to have the villains in this version as animated computer looney tunes figures. The one good thing I'd say for it is that I felt Will Smith turned out to be better here that I thought he would be.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:20 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Joe Karlosi wrote:
I AM LEGEND -- If I am going to be around here much, I ought to tell you right now that I have a serious problem with many of today's movies, and especially needless CGI cartoon-like nonsense. I thought it was completely absurd to have the villains in this version as animated computer looney tunes figures. The one good thing I'd say for it is that I felt Will Smith turned out to be better here that I thought he would be.

Oh, I think we'll get a long just fine, Joe! :cowboy1:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:24 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Marvelous!