Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:06 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Chiefs - Special Edition DVD (German 4-disc)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:19 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Since there's been a lot of talk over the net (including this forum) about this miniseries and the complete version of it on this box set, I thought I'd do a little write-up with some pictures of the set.

Front of the box set:

Back of the box set:

As previously mentioned, it's a 4-disc set. The first three discs contains the three parts of the miniseries for the first time ever completely uncut. They are about 94 minutes each, making it about 282 minutes in total. The fourth disc is the international version which is 207 minutes long.

Each part has its own case (regular ones, not slimcases) and artwork both at the front and back and have different titles.

Part 1 is called "Die Morde" (The Murder)
Part 2 is called "Rassen-Hass" (Racial Hatred)
Part 3 is called "Das Massengrab" (The Mass Grave)

Here's the whole set:

The Germans, bless their hearts, managed to find an American tape of the original broadcast with the uncut miniseries, which, to my knowledge, hasn't been aired anywhere since the original airing back in 1983. Because of this, the sound lifted off the tape is pretty lousy at times and before each part starts there's a disclaimer warning the viewer of this fact. There's also a booklet that accompanies this set with the same notice to the viewer.

Unlike what was told to me on another forum before I made my purchase, there are no scenes on the English version that have such bad sound that they use the German dubbing with English subtitles. Each and every scene is in English. The only thing in German is the introduction of parts 2 & 3, where Chuck's character (Hugh Holmes) tells us what has happened so far while scenes from previous parts are being shown. Probably a mistake by the company that produced this set, but one that doesn't do much harm IMO.

As for how bad the sound really is, I'll take you through it, part for part.

Part 1 is bad, but you can make out what they say with enough volume on your TV.

Part 2 is really awful for most of the time. I had trouble hearing the characters despite turning up the volume real loud. I had to concentrate to make out what was being said at times. Don't even think about eating popcorn, chips or any other snack when watching this part. It clears up a bit at the end, though, but is still pretty bad.

Part 3 has the best audio quality of the bunch, it sounds almost as good as the international version.

The picture quality is as expected not the best, it's VHS quality. I can live with that since I don't see this being remastered anytime soon, or at all.

So to sum it up all up:

With this good looking set, you get the complete, uncut version as well as the international version for a fair price. What more can a fan want? Definitely worth the money despite the overall quality of the uncut version. Chiefs is an excellent miniseries that I watch once every year and I'm very happy that I get to choose which version I want to see thanks to this set.