Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Almost an Angel (1990)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:35 am 
Prince Judah

Directed by John Cornell
Production Year: 1990
Starring Paul Hogan, Linda Kozlowski, Elias Koteas

Terry (Hogan) is a career criminal, a professional thief, who specializes in gadgets which can mess up a bank's security system, enabling him to rob his latest mark of $60,000. However, soon after, he impulsively rescues a kid from an oncoming truck, ending up in the hospital himself. Seeming to have died, he is met by (it is presumed) God (Heston) in heaven, who behaves like a stern probationary officer, sending Terry back as something close to an angel to help others. Though it's possible that Terry just suffered a dreamlike delusion, he ends up following a path to help a crippled young man (Koteas) and his sister (Kozlowski), who runs a youth center in need of funds.

Post subject: Re: Almost an Angel (1990)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:57 am 
Prince Judah

It's probably no mystery as to why there was no thread for this film until today; I didn't watch this film until yesterday and I'm guessing all the members here haven't checked it out yet. I was mildly surprised - I expected it to be a very lame comedy but it has its charms; it's a rather old-fashioned, ambling morality tale with Hogan always amusing in his post-Crocodile Dundee phase of movie stardom. It's also little more than a TV-movie-of-the-week, but in that, it's watchable. It also ends up being quite pro-religion, pro-faith, so it probably wasn't appreciated by a sizable chunk of the movie-going public and critics just for those reasons.

Heston appears at the 10-minute mark and this is indeed one of his smallest roles. He's made up to look like his own Moses character from The TEN COMMANDMENTS and there's even a Moses sight gag/pun later. Interestingly, he looks like Moses should have looked at the end of the Commandments film, when Moses was elderly. But, Heston projects a power in his brief scene, towering, as befits such a role; he's not the feeble old man here. Rather than detail his performance, I can just show it; here is his full performance:

btw, Heston is completely uncredited in this - not even in the credits after the film ends. I'm guessing that his role here was meant as one of those surprise cameos back then, meant to startle the audience. This was all like an early version of the fantasy-comedy BRUCE ALMIGHTY starring Jim Carrey, in which Morgan Freeman played God (also in the sequel). Freeman's role was a lot bigger, though.

Post subject: Re: Almost an Angel (1990)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:16 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I've seen this movie before, actually. It's been many years since, though. I was a kid back then, probably hadn't heard about Heston at that time, so definitely don't remember his scene in it. Only thing I remember is the ending...

Spoiler:
Hogan making the lights go on with a remote, which ends up not having any batteries in it.

I remember liking it a lot, I always enjoy Paul Hogan no matter what he's in, so I'm looking forward to getting the DVD.