Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Order (2001)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:03 pm 
Prince Judah

Directed by: Sheldon Lettich
Production Year: 2001
starring Jean-Claude Van Damme, Sofia Milos, Ben Cross
__ Image

Not to be confused with the 2003 film starring Heath Ledger...
Van Damme plays an athletic thief named Rudy who, though engaged in illegal pursuits, has a good side; he loves his father, a prominent archaeologist, and, when his father disappears, Rudy sets out on a desperate quest to find him, mostly in Israel. This involves a secret religious sect founded in 1099 which combines the elements of the 3 major religions - Christianity, Judaism and Islam. There is a plot within this sect (led by a fanatic played by Brian Thompson) to cause a major disaster, perhaps even to begin World War III.

Post subject: Re: The Order (2001)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:25 pm 
Prince Judah

I finally watched this film yesterday; I bought the DVD several years ago but was waiting for the right time, whatever that was. Van Damme actually had a hand in writing it, besides starring as the hero. It comes across as a low budget, goofy version of thrillers like The Da Vinci Code, National Treasure and even some of the Indiana Jones movies. I felt the film should have stuck to being a serious thriller, but the filmmakers (and Van Damme probably) chose to include a comical slant to many scenes, treating the whole concept as sort of a joke.

The whole concept, if regarded seriously, seems like a commentary on modern religions and how mankind could veer away from the violent aspect of such if we really made that effort, but being a Van Damme action thriller, it concentrates on spin kicks and chases. :punch: The location shooting is interesting, however - we see more of Israel here than is usual.

Heston appears at the 20-minute mark and
Spoiler:
since this is the 'bits and pieces' sub-forum, one can surmise that his role would be cut short unceremoniously - like about 5 minutes later.

He plays another archaelogy professor, a friend of Rudy's father who meets Rudy at the Israeli airport. He uses a cane but is able to walk around (unlike his bed scene in the Planet of the Apes remake), cracking wise and generally voicing some amusing lines, mostly sarcastic. This was Heston's next-to-last film role. He's kind of the highlight of the film.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:27 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I think I have seen this one before. I had a friend that was a huge Jean-Claude Van Damme fan and used to rent/buy every new movie of his. I remember the concept and story of the movie, so unless he's made something similar, this is the one I've seen. I hardly remember anything from it though, it must be almost ten years ago and long before I became a fan of Heston's.

BTW, doesn't Chuck also narrate this movie a little? I seem to remember someone telling me this a while ago.
Chrysagon wrote:
He's kind of the highlight of the film.

In a Van Damme movie, I'd sure hope so! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:11 pm 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
I thinkBTW, doesn't Chuck also narrate this movie a little? I seem to remember someone telling me this a while ago.

That's right, I forgot about that - there's a fairly long sequence at the start of the film that takes place in year 1099 (showing how the Order sect began) and Heston narrates all of that. Filmmakers seemed to really pursue Heston in using his distinctive voice in his later years (see the start of the film Armageddon) for narration.

Detective Thorn wrote:
Chrysagon wrote:
He's kind of the highlight of the film.

In a Van Damme movie, I'd sure hope so! :lol:

LOL, yeah, it's actually a bit off-kilter; all of a sudden, with Heston's appearance, the film veers to another level; it's like... holy crap, that's Heston! The rest of the film is just standard Van Damme hijinks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:37 pm 
El Cid

Hahaha. Heston cameos in a film that ripped off Indiana Jones. Anybody spot the irony?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:10 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Hahaha. Heston cameos in a film that ripped off Indiana Jones. Anybody spot the irony?

:lol: Yeah, that's probably what they were aiming for when they hired Chuck if you'd ask them about this today.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:41 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I've been on a Van Damme kick (no pun intended) lately, watching some of his "better" work, all being guilty pleasures of mine. Unfortunately, I can't get a hold of this one as it is OOP in Sweden. I checked out if the US DVD is any better than the Swedish release, which would mean that I'd have to get that one anyway, but the Swedish release is actually better than the US (that's a first!) So I'll have to play the waiting game on this one, I'm afraid :(