Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: True Lies
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:11 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: James Cameron
Production year: 1994
Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tom Arnold

Plot:

Harry Tasker leads a double life. At work he is a government agent with a license to do just about anything, while at home he pretends to be a dull computer salesman. He is on the trail of stolen nuclear weapons that are in the hands of fanatic terrorists when something more important comes up. Harry finds his wife is seeing another man because she needs some adventure in her life. Harry decides to give it to her, juggling pursuit of terrorists on one hand and an adventure for his wife on the other while showing he can Tango all at once.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: True Lies
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:19 pm 
Prince Judah

Heston's role here as Harry's (Arnold S.) boss has been described as a "Nick Fury" character (Nick Fury is a Marvel Comics character, director of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Marvel's version of the James Bond universe). As related in interviews and probably in Heston's self-bio book, when Heston asked James Cameron why he wanted Heston for the role, Cameron replied that he needed someone who could plausibly intimidate Arnold.

Heston certainly came across as somewhat scary in this role; I remember when I first watched the film and Heston first showed up, turning towards the camera - it was startling. Scarred, with that eyepatch, Heston looked like he was ready to kill anyone who even looked at him the wrong way. I guess he looked a little like a modern-day version of his pirate character in Treasure Island. He came across as a little more mellow in his later scene, the one when he asked about why the villain has a certain name ("sand spider" I think).

__________ Image

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:54 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
As related in interviews and probably in Heston's self-bio book, when Heston asked James Cameron why he wanted Heston for the role, Cameron replied that he needed someone who could plausibly intimidate Arnold.

I love Cameron's reason for hiring Chuck for the role. He's so right and it really tells you what legacy as a badass Heston has, dating back to the 50's.

Chrysagon wrote:
Heston certainly came across as somewhat scary in this role; I remember when I first watched the film and Heston first showed up, turning towards the camera - it was startling. Scarred, with that eyepatch, Heston looked like he was ready to kill anyone who even looked at him the wrong way.

Do you have the movie at your disposal? There's something I really want to ask the people of this forum, a possible reference to Planet of the Apes taking place in that very scene you mention. Here's what i'm referring to:

In the scene where we first get to see Heston's character Spencer Trilby, the character Faisil does this "beat" with his pen that sounds exactly like a part in the tune "No Escape" from the Planet of the Apes soundtrack. The scene in that movie where it is played is when Taylor (Heston) tries to escape from captivity and is in the museum where he sees that his astronaut buddy is on display for the rest of the apes to see.

If anyone has the movie at home, please have a look and tell me what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:49 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
Do you have the movie at your disposal? There's something I really want to ask the people of this forum, a possible reference to Planet of the Apes taking place in that very scene you mention. Here's what i'm referring to:

In the scene where we first get to see Heston's character Spencer Trilby, the character Faisil does this "beat" with his pen that sounds exactly like a part in the tune "No Escape" from the Planet of the Apes soundtrack. The scene in that movie where it is played is when Taylor (Heston) tries to escape from captivity and is in the museum where he sees that his astronaut buddy is on display for the rest of the apes to see.

If anyone has the movie at home, please have a look and tell me what you think.

I do have it on DVD and checked out the scene you speak of, but I'm afraid I can't be of much help here; that guy does tap his pen on the table as you describe but it lasts only 2 seconds and it seems like a reach to me that it's actually the tune from POTA. However, it may very well be - an in-joke the filmmakers stuck in for only the most discerning of viewers who pick up these tiny details. I guess I'd have to check out POTA again to be sure.

btw, I played the trailer of the film also and noted a scene with Heston that was cut out of the final film; in the trailer he's on the telephone with the President, telling him that one of their "best men is inside" (refering to either Arnold or that guy tapping the pen). This scene is only one second long in the trailer but it shows that Heston's Spencer Trilby part was a bit bigger originally than what it ended up as.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:21 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
I do have it on DVD and checked out the scene you speak of, but I'm afraid I can't be of much help here; that guy does tap his pen on the table as you describe but it lasts only 2 seconds and it seems like a reach to me that it's actually the tune from POTA. However, it may very well be - an in-joke the filmmakers stuck in for only the most discerning of viewers who pick up these tiny details. I guess I'd have to check out POTA again to be sure.

Normally I wouldn't be so sure, but the thing is it's a very distinctive tap with the pen, he's not just banging it up and down like one would normally do. He taps the pen exactly the way that particular music is playing. He also does it just before the revelation of who's behind the chair. I just can't believe it to be a coincidence.

Chrysagon wrote:
btw, I played the trailer of the film also and noted a scene with Heston that was cut out of the final film; in the trailer he's on the telephone with the President, telling him that one of their "best men is inside" (refering to either Arnold or that guy tapping the pen). This scene is only one second long in the trailer but it shows that Heston's Spencer Trilby part was a bit bigger originally than what it ended up as.

I picked up on that too. It's too bad we may never get to see that scene, because the current DVD's don't have any "Deleted scenes" extras.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:57 am 
Cheating Bastard

I wish I knew where to get an eyepatch like the one he had in this movie. I can't seem to find one that fits comfortably.