Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:08 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Which ending do you prefer?
Planet of the Apes 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
Beneath the Planet of the Apes 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Planet of the Apes Vs Beneath the Planet of the Apes endings
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:14 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Which one of these legendary and highly original endings do you prefer? Both ones were obviously shockers, but which one shocked you the most? Which one do you think was more effective?

Feel free to vote and discuss :ddape:

Post subject: Re: Planet of the Apes Vs Beneath the Planet of the Apes end
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:30 am 
Prince Judah

Planet of the Apes easily had the superior shocker of an ending. That final shot is now iconic and, besides the visual punch, it impressed on the viewer the sheer impact on Heston's character, the tough hero who has now been blindsided by a revelation after we all thought the worst was over. It brought even him to his knees, in despair; I felt some of that despair myself when I watched it.

The ending for Beneath the Planet of the Apes was just a little too strange - it was way too abrupt, for one thing; there's this sudden narration and then it just stops, as if the film suddenly ran out of the projector (though maybe that was the intent). The ending to the first one stunned me; this one more or less just puzzled me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:28 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

While the first one is just classic, Taylor finding out that the earth as shattered, I prefer the second one with the world coming to an end.

I'm very fascinated with theories of the apocalypse and the thought that there might be a end of the world, so I guess that's one of the reason why I like it better. Even if I'm into post-apocalyptic stuff too (like Mad Max: Road Warrior)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:13 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

What I like the most about the ending in Beneath is that I had no idea it was coming, unlike with Planet of the Apes :lol:

But I think the first one is just better, more iconic with a great twist and great message. It's simply the best ending to a movie I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:04 pm 
Marabunta

I have to admit that the ending in Beneath the Planet of the Apes did not shock me, while Planet of the Apes did.

I guess it has something to do with growing up in the 50's and 60's.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:19 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Yes, much like a lot of sci-fi movies of the 50's, they played with the fear people had of the Cold War that was going on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:22 pm 
Cheating Bastard

CHUCK THOUGHT OF THAT ENDING FOR " BENEATH " ALL BY HIMSELF.... TED POST AND THE STUDIO WENT FOR IT. ( CHUCK WANTED THE MOVIES TO END WITH HIS DEATH )......................

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:40 pm 
Prince Judah

Yup, Chuck thought that
Spoiler:
eliminating the Earth
was a surefire way of there being no further sequels and, therefore, no chance of his character coming 'back from the dead' or something...

Little did he know... (Escape From the POTA). I guess he underestimated the storytelling ideas of Hollywood writers...

PS: and Suddenly, I'm a Cheating *******..! :uzi: That Damn Dirty Admin...! :comegetsome:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:06 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

That's what I like about Chuck, he had a lot of input in his roles & movies that he added when he could. It was a brillian idea of his, of course. "Now how can I make sure they won't try to get me back for another sequel? Ah, but of course! I'll blow the whole damned planet up and me with it! That oughta stop'em!"

Who would have guessed anything different at the time?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:25 pm 
Astronaut

The point is, in my case(the same as Thorn!), that I didn't know the ending of Beneath the Planet of the Apes! And besides, I think it is the right ending for such a corrupted, mutant planet.. it is no longer our dear earth, there is a total despair after Nova's death, and the battle between the Halloween-faced dehumanized species and the aggressive apes... for what good cause will the hero fight, which side will he take? There is no positive option, and so there's no point of letting such a world run by the victorious apes. Throughout the film, Brent has been so ridiculous. But at the end, Taylor-- even after being shot, does something heroic at least, it is negative, it is destructive, but still it is heroic.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!