Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:56 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Planet of the Apes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:43 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Franklin J. Schaffner
Production year: 1968
Starring: Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall, Kim Hunter

Plot:

Taylor and two other astronauts come out of deep hibernation to find that their ship has crashed. Escaping with little more than clothes they find that they have landed on a planet where men are pre-lingual and uncivilized while apes have learned speech and technology. Taylor is captured and taken to the city of the apes after damaging his throat so that he is silent and cannot communicate with the apes.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: Planet of the Apes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:44 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

NOTE: This thread will be used for general talk of the movie Planet of the Apes. If there's anything specific you'd like to discuss, please start a new topic in this section.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:07 am 
Call Me Harry

One scene that stands out to me (even though it's not one of the famous or iconic scenes) is Taylor's reaction to the fate of Landon, a man he had picked on and insulted throughout the first act without mercy, only to be horrorified and devastated at seeing him reduced to a mindless zombie. It's a truly chilling moment, as Taylor confronts dehumanization in what may be its cruelest form, capped off by the passionate "You did that to him damn you! You cut out his memory, you took his identity and that's what you want to do to me!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:16 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

He also called him a "bloody baboon!" :ddape: That is indeed a great scene in this movie.

This is no the best movie Heston has done IMO, it comes second after Ben-Hur. However, it definitely is my favorite. It's one of those movies that you just can't get enough of. I watch it several times each year and every time I watch it it's the best damn 2+ hours I've had that day.

George Taylor may very well be my favorite Heston character of them all and one of the best performances in Heston's career IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:16 am 
No Water For Me

This could be the best movie ever made, i´ve seen it more than any other movie. Over 100 times i guess. First seen it 1988 when i was a kid, loved it immediately. This movie has it all, great story, excellent acting, surprising end. Gotta love it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:13 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Colonel Taylor wrote:
This could be the best movie ever made, i´ve seen it more than any other movie. Over 100 times i guess. First seen it 1988 when i was a kid, loved it immediately. This movie has it all, great story, excellent acting, surprising end. Gotta love it!

While I haven't seen the movie that many times, I have seen it my fair share of times. It's a movie I never get tired of revisiting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:53 am 
Call Me Harry

This may seem a stupid question but I'll ask anyway: do you the fans and casual viewers feel that Col. Taylor deserves the fate he receives in the end?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:15 am 
Prince Judah

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
This may seem a stupid question but I'll ask anyway: do you the fans and casual viewers feel that Col. Taylor deserves the fate he receives in the end?

No, not at all.
That's what makes it such a memorable and shocking ending. It was like a very extreme version of kicking a man when he's already down - Taylor was already screwed before riding up to that sight of the dilapidated statue. This just piled it on him.

I think this downer of an ending or twist may have been due to writer Rod Serling; he did write those kind of twist endings for his Twilight Zone show and these further specialized in showing that bad things also happen to good people, not just to the bad guys. The most memorable one with the twist ending was the episode "Time Enough at Last" where-in the victim was Burgess Meredith's character, a harmless nice guy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:02 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

[quote="EL-CID-1983"]This may seem a stupid question but I'll ask anyway: do you the fans and casual viewers feel that Col. Taylor deserves the fate he receives in the end?

An interesting question that almost needs its own thread as I'm sure we all have different takes on the character of Col. Taylor. Personally, I don't feel that he deserved it one bit. I don't consider him a bad man by any means, just a cynical hard-*** that despised the human race, yet sided with it when the going got extremely tough.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:38 am 
Call Me Harry

I just watched it again this evening and for the first time I truly wondered: did Col. Taylor really deserve what he got in the end? Yeah the guy was kind of a jerk, but being stranded on a future Earth where bigoted apes rule and men are mindless beasts? Talk about overpaying for being a jerk.

Though if I remember "In the Arena" right, that was one of the things that attracted Heston to the project - the idea of playing a cynical misanthrope who gets his comeuppance when he is forced to champion the race he had effectively turned his back on, and then learns that sometimes the worst punishment is being proven right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next