Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Planet of the Apes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:11 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I think it's his patriotism that made him put that flag up, which is why Taylor laughs at him for doing it. In his mind, there's no longer a USA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:52 pm 
Astronaut

I think the memory of Stewart is not the case here, if it was so, Taylor's laugh would seem too inhuman. He may be a rough and cynical man, but a responsible leader nevertheless, he cannot laugh at the sad case of one of his mates being so ghastly dead. But his disbelief in a 'national' pride and vanity seems a valid reason for the laugh, he does not have silly patriotic emotions at the beginning.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:47 am 
Prince Judah

Taylor's laughter was a reaction to the absurdity of the situation: the patriotic gesture for something that no longer exists. As established in later dialog, Taylor has already accepted the new reality - a far future in which the USA and all its citizens are long dead; Landon, on the other hand, is in a state of denial - until he sees some kind of proof, he won't accept this. Unfortunately for Landon, that proof eventually results in him getting lobotomized (remember, careful what you look for...as Zaius later warns).

One small possible plot hole which I was not even aware of until today involves Taylor's dogtags (military i.d. necklace). He didn't have any in this film - everything was stripped away from him by the time he was captured by the apes. But, in the sequel (Beneath...), he places his dogtags around Nova's neck so that Brent can see them later and realize that Taylor might be alive somewhere. So, where did these dogtags come from? A possible answer to this plot hole can be found at this site: http://www.potamediaarchive.com/CJ/CJ35.gif - there, we are offered a diary entry by Cornelius...

______________ I noted the date of the diary - the day before my birthday! Howabout that? 8-) :ddape:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:58 pm 
Astronaut

Grand discovery for Taylor, surely! Well, did Cornelius know by reading history that there had been a knight long long centuries ago, who was born on the date which follows his own date of this diary entry? If he knew this, this could be another great discovery.

BTW, I couldn't wish you because my net-connection was down, it has just been okay again. Belated Happy birthday, Chrysagon.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:31 am 
Cheating Bastard

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/44951

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:20 pm 
Call Me Harry

Finally watched "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" today, and it's pretty much everything the lackluster 2001 Tim Burton film should have been but wasn't. I liked how they used Chuck's "The Agony & The Ecstasy" in that one scene, serving as both his "cameo" and reflecting the rise of the apes themselves.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:33 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Finally watched "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" today, and it's pretty much everything the lackluster 2001 Tim Burton film should have been but wasn't. I liked how they used Chuck's "The Agony & The Ecstasy" in that one scene, serving as both his "cameo" and reflecting the rise of the apes themselves.

Are you planning to watch Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, too? It comes out in a couple of months.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:07 am 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:

Are you planning to watch Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, too? It comes out in a couple of months.

Definitely. I wonder if they'll try to do another "cameo" by way of footage from one of Chuck's other movies... perhaps one of his more somber films like "The Omega Man" or "Soylent Green" to highlight the fall of humanity with the continued ascension of the Apes?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:26 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:

Definitely. I wonder if they'll try to do another "cameo" by way of footage from one of Chuck's other movies... perhaps one of his more somber films like "The Omega Man" or "Soylent Green" to highlight the fall of humanity with the continued ascension of the Apes?

That's a great idea! I hope they do something like that. Though I'm guessing there'll be very few references in this movie compared to the previous one.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:32 am 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:

That's a great idea! I hope they do something like that. Though I'm guessing there'll be very few references in this movie compared to the previous one.

We'll know when the film comes out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next