Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:17 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Planet of the Apes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:12 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Oh man, that's avatar material, right there! Thanks! I'm definitely saving them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:59 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
Oh man, that's avatar material, right there! Thanks! I'm definitely saving them.

Yeah, I figured you would. Reduced, they would make nice replacements for this :lol: on this board, an exclusive laugh icon just for the Heston Forums! Image
(though you would have to figure out a way to retain the gif properties)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:15 am 
Prince Judah

Here's a pretty good video review of the film; this might contain background information about the film that not everyone here is aware of:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:03 pm 
Prince Judah

A blogger has shared some interesting 'theatrical' response to the best line(in his opinion) delivered by Chuck-- "... You damed dirty apes"!

Here is the extract-

"Arguably one of the best lines in movie history. A friend once told me about his experience seeing the actual first run theatrical release of Planet of the Apes back in '68, when all people knew of it was a crazy trailer and its bizarre premise. By the point in the film where Taylor is strung up about to be lynched by the apes, people were kind of freaked out by the striking and fearsome reality of the ape society. But upon delivery of that signature line, the crowd "went fucking nuts." The theater stood up and cheered as if it were a stadium event. In context, to that point in the film's fiction no human had ever spoken to an ape, which makes the line ten times more powerful. To witness that as a moviegoer in the theater for the first time, what an amazing show that must have been."

The link- http://litanyofschist.blogspot.in/2008_ ... chive.html

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:41 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

That must indeed have been an awesome experience to witness the crowd standing and cheering as Chuck uttered his infamous line. That's the first I've ever heard of that. I wonder if it happened often during its run?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:14 am 
Call Me Harry

itsjudah24 wrote:
A blogger has shared some interesting 'theatrical' response to the best line(in his opinion) delivered by Chuck-- "... You damed dirty apes"!

Here is the extract-

"Arguably one of the best lines in movie history. A friend once told me about his experience seeing the actual first run theatrical release of Planet of the Apes back in '68, when all people knew of it was a crazy trailer and its bizarre premise. By the point in the film where Taylor is strung up about to be lynched by the apes, people were kind of freaked out by the striking and fearsome reality of the ape society. But upon delivery of that signature line, the crowd "went fucking nuts." The theater stood up and cheered as if it were a stadium event. In context, to that point in the film's fiction no human had ever spoken to an ape, which makes the line ten times more powerful. To witness that as a moviegoer in the theater for the first time, what an amazing show that must have been."

The link- http://litanyofschist.blogspot.in/2008_ ... chive.html

Cool. I can only imagine how they reacted to his other famous line.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:57 pm 
Prince Judah

Oh, yeah. Perhaps the auditorium was saved from bursting by some divine grace!

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:27 pm 
El Cid

PLANET OF THE APES blew my mind when I first saw it on 24 June 1968 at the Odeon, Lincoln. I knew instantly that I was watching a classic piece of cinema, and whenever it was re-released I gladly returned to see Chuck Heston monkeying around with those damn dirty apes.
I have always been a huge fan of the Noble Art and regularly went to London to see the big fights. On 12 November 1974 my pregnant wife and I went to the big smoke to attend the Joe Bugner v Jimmy Ellis fight at the Empire Pool, Wembley. After walking around the sights all afternoon my wife complained of being exhausted so I thought it best to get a hotel near the boxing stadium. All the cheapest hotels were booked up and the only alternative was to stay at the Esso Hotel. We signed in and then went to watch the Bugner fight. The next morning I went to settle the bill which amounted to 10 times more than I'd expected. We left the hotel and still had seven hours before we caught the train back to Lincoln with considerably less funds than we needed to have a fun day out in London. Walking around London with just a few quid wasn't our idea of fun, and after a couple of hours my wife complained of being tired and hungry, just as we walked past the Astoria cinema on Charing Cross Road.
The first two PLANET OF THE APES were showing and I suggested we go to see them with the bit of cash we had left. She was a huge POTA fan so we settled down to watch the Chuck v the Apes double bill. Next door to the Astoria was a public house, The Excelsior, and they were rolling full barrels of ale down into the cellar, making a crashing noise every few minutes or so and which could be plainly heard by all the cinema patrons. The first APES movie finished and I told my wife that the terrible din next door was ruining my enjoyment of the movie. She was so glad to be sitting down in the warmth and told me not to make a fuss and that the noise might subside for the next movie.
BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES began - and so did the noise again - so after Heston 'disappeared' in the movie I told my wife to put her coat on, we were going to get a refund. She suddenly became excited at the thought of a slap-up meal, and watched with embarrasment as I bellowed at the manager that it was completely unacceptable to have to listen to all that noise during a film matinee. He was only too glad to get rid of us, gave us our money back and told us never to return. We ran excitedly out of the Astoria cinema and had a lovely meal with the money and then boarded our train back to Lincoln.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:22 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Great story as always, James! Can't believe the manager told you never to return when it clearly is not acceptable to hear that kind of noise in the theater :o He should have sucked up and just smile at the two of you while handing you the money back. I would have been furious if I were you as well, especially since Planet of the Apes is my all-time favorite movie.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:18 am 
El Cid

I still can't believe that nobody else complained - the crashing noise those barrels made was terribly off-putting, and I don't even like it when the person sat next to me in a cinema is making a noise by munching crisps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next