Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:15 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Photos of Chuck the Tennis-enthusiast
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:59 am 
Prince Judah

Hello, here we are going to post Chuck's photos that speak of his love of tennis. You may also post anecdotes with photos, if you get interesting stories regarding Chuck's performance and involvement in celebrity tournaments etc.

ImageImage

I saw a great photo of Chuck leaping upwards to hit a forehand-- I cannot find it now. But here is another, the one I posted in another thread--

I know this Man!

Post subject: Re: Photos of Chuck the Tennis-enthusiast
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:56 am 
Prince Judah

Here are some more--

Heston with Bill Cosby at the Tropicana resort in Las Vegas.

And this is a really nice pic, that shows Chuck the athlete in tennis-costume-

The site wherefrom I got the image, have this writ-up as well--

CHARLTON HESTON: ‘I’VE PLAYED MORE
GOOD PLAYERS THAN ANY OTHER LOUSY
PLAYER IN HISTORY’

Just think if the real Moses loved tennis as much as Hollywood’s iconic Moses did, there might be an 11th Commandment — “Thou shalt not double fault.” Kidding aside, Hollywood’s Moses — that would be Charlton Heston, had a lifetime passion for tennis. Growing up in Winnetka, Ill., the bounding 6-foot-3 athletic gentleman always had an imposing way about him. He loved the game from his earliest days in suburban Chicago to his many years in the Coldwater Canyon section of Beverly Hills. Whether he was hanging out with Jack Kramer, drawing (“Wow, there’s Moses”) attention at a celebrity fundraiser or playing in New Zealand or Jolly old England, he embraced the game. Even at the memorial service for Heston, who died at age 84 after losing a battle to Alzheimer’s, his daughter Holly Heston Rochell spoke of his love of tennis and poetry.

During one of his numerous trips to Wimbledon, IT interviewed Heston right outside the Royal Box (prompting one reporter to tell us, “What a great day, we’ve got royalty inside in the Royal Box and God on the sidewalk. You can’t beat that.”)

In any case, Heston, who at last had become a member of the AELTC, confided he wasn’t that great a player and quipped, “I’ve played more good players in my life than any other lousy player in history.”

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:18 pm 
Astronaut

Nice thread, and really good pics. Here's Heston with John Wills, a tennis-coach--

And read this memoir, hope you'll enjoy: http://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/ne ... -1-2785912

BEN Hur won’t be turning up when tennis coach John Willis throws a big reunion party in Mexborough... but that’s only because he’s dead!

For the late film star Charlton Heston – who famously played the Roman slave in the Hollywood blockbuster – might well have been present at the bash... as one of scores of keen players who learned his tennis at John’s hand.

John is arranging a reunion for all those who, like himself, share the 50-year history of Mexborough Lawn 
Tennis Club.

And the Goldthorpe man told how, as a coach in the north-east, he ended up teaching smashes to smash-hit Heston!

John, now 57, said he was working at the Northumberland Lawn Tennis and Squash Racquet Club in the late 1980s when he took a call from Oscar-winning Heston’s manager.

He said: “I was in the middle of a game of squash when I was told someone wanted to book lessons. I anted to ring them back, but they insisted in speaking there and then.

“I picked up the phone, and the man said ‘it’s for a Mr Heston’.

“I said ‘OK – and will Mr Heston be paying by cash or cheque?’. The reply was that Mr Heston didn’t carry money on him, and any payments needed to go through the caller.

“Then the man said ‘it’s for the film actor Charlton Heston’.

“At first I thought it was a joke, but they convinced me it was real and we arranged the lessons.”

It transpired that the star was looking for something to keep him fit while starring in a three-month run at Newcastle’s Royal Theatre.

Said John: “I didn’t know before I met him, that he was into his tennis, but apparently wherever he was in the world – be it for a play, TV series or film – he would always play tennis.

“He was very good as well. He was in his 60s by then, but you could tell he had played a lot in his life.”

John admitted: “I was a bit nervous about meeting him at first because he was this big Hollywood actor.

“But he was a really nice guy and told me to call him Chuck. We had a lot of interesting conversations.

“One of the first films I ever saw was Ben Hur. I was so young at the time that when the interval came in I thought that was the end of the film and went home!”

He added: “One thing that stuck in my mind was when we arranged for a photographer to come so I could get a picture with him.

“He phoned me up to say he couldn’t do that time because he had to go to dinner with the Earl of Northumberland. But he made good on his word and came down beforehand to do the picture.

“He had about a dozen lessons and then he had to go. But before he went, I got tickets to the show he was performing in and we had a meal afterwards which was nice.”

Heston died in 2008 after a long battle with Alzheimer’s and John said: “I was saddened because I thought he was a decent bloke”.

The star was just one of thousands of players taught by John, who started playing the sport as an eager 11-year-old at the Mexborough club.

Now John – who currently coaches at Doncaster Lawn Tennis Club – has begun arranging the reunion for players, coaches and anyone else who has been associated with the Mexborough club.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:22 am 
Prince Judah

Thanks for the pic and the blog. Here is another photo. The caption goes- 'Heston once played in a charity fundraising event in Bloomfield Hills in the 1980s'. But he does look much younger. The picture cannot be taken in the '80s, as I feel.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:56 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

The picture is rather small, I can't even tell if it's Chuck on the picture.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:30 am 
Prince Judah

I also thought of that, Thorn. But I found the photo from a site where the blogger met and knew Chuck personally. So I concluded that perhaps the dates are wrong, but the picture is not false, though his face cannot be seen properly. I posted the link in the thread 'Remembering Charlton Heston'. Here it is, again-- http://www.mybaycity.com/scripts/p3_v2/ ... cleID=2512

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:52 am 
Prince Judah

Another one -- probably from the same tournament Chuck is seen playing at in the initial photo.

Here is a great description of the match, hope you will enjoy. It is a report published in the local newspaper 'The Wellingtonian'.

Heston closed Mercer St for tennis
BY CHRISTOPHER MOOR

Oscar-winning movie star Charlton Heston came to Wellington in 1966 to lecture on American film for the US State Department, and left with the record for drawing the most spectators to a New Zealand tennis match.

Then at the peak of his screen stardom, the affable 42-year old actor earned $750,000 ($27 million in today's terms) per picture as the king of the 70mm epic. He won his Oscar in Ben Hur in 1958.

He claimed his tennis wasn't very good, saying he'd hit with more good players than any other bad player in the world.

Traffic officers closed Mercer St in front of the former library building (now City Art Gallery) to vehicles before midday on June 30, 1966, in readiness for the charity doubles match organised by The Dominion and Sunday Times newspapers.

Heston and his partner, John Souter, were to play Peter Snell and Robert Clarke.

Souter and Clarke were leading New Zealand tennis players of the 1960s.

Wearing sunglasses, the trim star with the thinning hair left The Dominion building at 12.10pm and mounted a "C'mon Wgton" chariot, provided by the Wellington Rugby Supporters Club.

He was joined in the chariot by Snell, Clarke and Souter for the ride to the court, where 10,000 spectators had gathered on a sunny winter's afternoon.

Cameras snapped the arrival from all over the footpaths and up the library steps.

Heston and Souter won the first set 8-6; Snell and Clarke the second 8-7.

The Wellington branch of the Intellectually Handicapped Children's Society received more than $1500 in donations from those present.

Between sets Heston asked the crowd to throw money on to the court, and got instant responses.

After the match he joined the other players in collecting money, with the bucket he carried adding more than $110 to the total raised.

Heston told spectators the weather smiled because "I've got friends up there", alluding to his Moses parting the Red Sea in the biblical classic, The Ten Commandments (1956).

The exhibition was rated a huge success by the participants and organisers.

Heston was thrilled by the generosity of the crowd, saying: "This is an experience I will never forget". However, it wasn't enough to rate a mention in his autobiography, In the Arena.

At Victoria University he had lectured on The Film as Art, a programme comprising excerpts from five American films selected by 100 American movie critics.

Heston said his fight scene in The Big Country (1958) was as painful as it looked on the screen.
Ad Feedback

It was a miserable experience filmed in the summer heat outside Stockton.

"It was very exhausting. And I'd read the script – I knew I didn't even win. At least after the chariot race in Ben Hur, they did give me a wreath!"

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:29 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Wow, check this one out:

He's even sporting an Agamemnon t-shirt, the production company of his and his son Fraser.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:27 am 
Prince Judah

Lovely contribution, Thorn, sorry that I could not respond earlier. Chuck looks enviably handsome in that T-shirt, even at the age.

Here is another, showing him in a towel after a match. Half of a tennis-racket can be seen at the top-left corner.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:37 am 
Prince Judah

Hey, look at these, I am really glad to have found them. These are taken during a match in Milan, 1968

ImageImage

I know this Man!