Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:51 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: October 29th 1982: The Heston-Newman Nuclear Freeze Debate
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:01 pm 
Cheating Bastard

The debate which took place on the 29th of October, 1982 on The Last Word, a short-lived late-night television program, between Charlton Heston and Paul Newman has always interested me. Video of the debate used to be available online, but doesn't appear to be anymore. Using the Google search engine I've collected a number of newspaper stories surrounding the debate. This is in no way exhaustive for what was a big media event at the time, but I figured I'd post here what I've collected for anyone similarly interested.

While I couldn't find a video of the debate, this ABC News report from the time does include some footage of Mr. Heston and Mr. Newman debating the issue and should serve as a good primer for what the nuclear freeze issue was and the impetus for the Heston-Newman debate. You can watch it here http://abcnews.go.com/Archives/video/oct-28-1982-nuclear-freeze-proposal-14835748

Here's how the debate was being reported before it took place. Much of the discussion was over whether the debate would indeed take place at all
:

On October 13th in the Schenectady Gazette (many of these were AP stories reprinted in countless newspapers across the country. I'm attributing where I got them from, not where they necessarily originated from):

On October 26th in the Times Daily:

On the morning of the debate, October 29th, in the Bangor Daily News:

The night of the debate:

Newspaper stories on the debate a day after it took place:

On October 30th in the Ocala Star-Banner:

On the same day, October 30th, in the Daytona Beach Morning Journal:

Another story summing up the debate from a day after it took place, October 30th in the Miami News:

By the beginnings of November, newspaper opinion columnists started to ask why two actors were the ones debating this such an important issue:

On November 2nd in the Eugene Register:

On November 4th in the Victoria Advocate:

If you couldn't already, you start to see it accepted as a known fact that Mr. Heston trounced Mr. Newman in the debate by 1983.

Here's a great profile of Mr. Heston reprinted in many places in February, this on the 11th from The Hour newspaper:

It becomes more clear how beaten, bitter and disgruntled the debate left Mr. Newman when reading his biographies that touch on the subject. They also provide good background information for what led up to the debate.

Here in Paul Newman: A Life:

Here in Paul and Me: Fifty-three Years of Adventures and Misadventures with My Pal Paul Newman:

Here in Paul Newman: A Biography:

In case you're wondering, the proposition passed against Mr. Heston's wishes. Luckily no one heeded it and the Cold War was won soundly without firing a shot or detonating a bomb by employing the strategy of President Reagan and statesmen like Mr. Charlton Heston. Here is as good a place as any to point out that Mr. Newman was a great man in his own right. He devoted his time and money to charitable causes even when no one was looking. America is a place where people are free to debate and free to disagree.

Anyone with more information on the debate or events surrounding are welcome and encouraged to post it here.

Post subject: Re: October 29th 1982: The Heston-Newman Nuclear Freeze Deba
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:17 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

This must be one of the best threads posted here on the forum. A big THANK YOU goes out to better side. I learned a lot that I was not aware of before regarding this debate. I really wish we could see the whole thing one day, would be the best damn thing on the net as far as I'm concerned. Some years ago there was a couple of minutes or so of it on Youtube, but it's long gone, unfortunately.

I laughed at a couple of parts, like where they wrote that Heston ran circles around Newman. You had to be a great debater having a good day to beat Heston at this kind of game. I had heard about Newman not wanting to be introduced by Heston soon after the debate, it's sad that he got such a distaste for Heston after this debate. He seemed to be a man who wore his heart on his sleeve.

Thanks again for this great, great thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:08 am 
Cheating Bastard

Detective Thorn wrote:
This must be one of the best threads posted here on the forum. A big THANK YOU goes out to better side. I learned a lot that I was not aware of before regarding this debate. I really wish we could see the whole thing one day, would be the best damn thing on the net as far as I'm concerned. Some years ago there was a couple of minutes or so of it on Youtube, but it's long gone, unfortunately.

I laughed at a couple of parts, like where they wrote that Heston ran circles around Newman. You had to be a great debater having a good day to beat Heston at this kind of game. I had heard about Newman not wanting to be introduced by Heston soon after the debate, it's sad that he got such a distaste for Heston after this debate. He seemed to be a man who wore his heart on his sleeve.

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback. I've had this stuff sitting on my computer for quite a while knowing I'd post it here someday for you guys to hopefully get a kick out of as well. Seeing the actual debate or even having a transcript of it would be a real treat. It would be great if ABC ever releases it from their archives or if a viewer happened to have taped it.

While Mr. Newman didn't come off to well from this debate, he did a lot of good in his lifetime. Through his Newman's Own brand of salad dressings and other condiments he was able to donate hundreds of millions of dollars to charity. And on his death bed I recall he quietly passed on most of his personal fortune to charity. I think a difference is Mr. Newman was a great actor and philanthropist and he was smart to stick to those pursuits whereas Mr. Heston was a great actor and could have also been a great politician if he'd wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:02 pm 
El Cid

Since Paul Newman and Charlton Heston both played William F. Cody, perhaps they should have been debating the 1880's buffalo extinction.

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/amer ... tion-1800s

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:14 pm 
Cheating Bastard

Detective Thorn wrote:

I totally agree. Fascinating thread and all new information for me. Great work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:54 pm 
Cheating Bastard

Thanks very much. I'll have more threads like this in the future. And hopefully one day we'll have the full video of this debate available to see.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:03 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

better side wrote:
Thanks very much. I'll have more threads like this in the future. And hopefully one day we'll have the full video of this debate available to see.

Looking forward to whatever you'll bring us! :)