Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:00 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Number One
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:24 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I think is there not post of this film...?
:saywhat:

Post subject: Re: Number One
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:18 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Nope, you were the first one to create a thread for this movie :) Another one of Chuck's movies that is not available on DVD.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:34 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

And wath is the history...?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:01 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I don't know why it haven't been released yet. There are lots of movies without a release on DVD, and it's a damn shame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:19 pm 
Call Me Harry

From what I understand this was not one of Chuck's bigger hits, and got at most mixed reviews from critics, most of whom praised his performance as the arrogant, over the hill self destructive quarterback, but felt the film itself was not strong enough. Another detractor was that Chuck, by then in his late 40s and while not a small man by any means, was not really big enough to be a football player - even the pro quaterback they hired to train him said as much.

On a brighter note, Heston recalled that a number of athletes who did see the film wrote to him saying "Yes, that's exactly how it feels."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:09 am 
Prince Judah

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Another detractor was that Chuck, by then in his late 40s and while not a small man by any means, was not really big enough to be a football player - even the pro quaterback they hired to train him said as much.

I find that to be a little strange... and hard to buy into.
First of all, Quarterbacks are not the bigger players; some are, but many are in the 6' 2" range - it's the guards / blockers and tackles&linebackers that are the big guys. You need a good throwing arm to be a quarterback; being big helps sometimes but it's that throwing arm that is what's important.

Secondly, since Chuck was about 6' 3" (he was a big guy, no 2 ways about it) I would think he'd be ideal to play a footballer - especially a quarterback. I think the main problem was Chuck's age at that point. Most quarterbacks are retired by age 40 - Bret Favre is one those exceptional guys that made it to 40 and even he is now finally retired at 41. It would have been better if the film was made around 1964 or earlier, for Chuck's age to work a bit better.

I watched the film fairly recently, about 8 months ago, because it was on my view-on-Demand HD channel at that time. It was a nice, clear picture. The film is interesting now because it does capture a certain era of time - late sixties - and it's intriguing to see Chuck in a modern then-contemporary film role, because we're so accustomed to seeing him as heroes from some ancient era.

But, before that last viewing of 8 months ago, I last saw the film about 30 years ago. It never played on TV and, as mentioned above, there's no DVD release. So, you gotta catch it when you can.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:52 am 
Michelangelo

A clip of Number One

In the Film of Charlton Heston, Jeff Rovin wrote (p188):
Quote:
Number One is a fine film that presents an interesting, often painful, somewhat two dimensional figure in Ron Catlan, a man who just won't let go. His agonies are vividly represented, identifiable, and empathetic. Heston, of course, strikes a perfect balance between uncertainty and courage, and he receives find support from Bruce Dern as Richie Fowler, the ex-playerwho tries to force Heston's character out of the game and into his business of leasing cars. Jessica Walters as is wife is also good although slightly more intense than her role demands. Diana Muldaur is properly cool and sympathetic. The supporting players and football althlets (real players were used) are all at ease in their parts; ex-Tarzan Mike Henry (once a Los Angels Ram) does an especially fine bit role.

On the technical side the photography is good, and film from actual games is impressively intercut with the new football sequences.

In all, a solid, professional film, slightly melo-dramatic, but not without point and poise, In the Heston standings it must be considered a solid win.

:sherlock: :popcorn: :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:16 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

it's good CHfan2010 !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:50 am 
Michelangelo

pompon wrote:
it's good CHfan2010 !

Yes, Number One is a fine film.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:11 am 
No Water For Me

I'm kind of impressed to see that Jeff Rovin gave it such a solid review. It earned it. I grew up watching 70s football with my Dad, and actually found Number One to be a believable representation of what it must feel like to feel the one thing you know how to do, that brings you adoration and respect, and screaming fans besides, slipping away. Probably my only quibble with Rovin, and it's a quibble given he calls the movie a win, is I didn't find the character all that two-dimensional. For a guy in a rough and tumble career, having to deal with his wife's career taking off when his is going down the drain, his body just not being able to withstand the punishment it once could or recover in the same time frame it once could, I thought Heston did a damn fine job of walking the tightrope of being a guy having a kind of an emotional meltdown in an era when men (and as a character who) did not fall to pieces. In the scene where he's afraid to get off the bus and then paces then stadium, not sure if he's going to play or not, not only do you feel for the guy, you gotta hand it to Heston -- he captures the essence of real fear for Catlan, fear of suffering a debilitating injury, fear of being all washed-up, fear he has nothing else to go to, fear he loses the most important part of himself if he tries. It's a helluva scene.

As someone else noted, I kind of scoffed at the people then and now who said he was too small for the role. I mean, jeez, the guy was 6'3", 200#, and he wasn't playing a defensive tackle or a linebacker, he was playing the quarterback. Even as far as age, the guy could usually still pass for 10 years younger at that point in his career, so as long as you didn't get too hung up on the notion the character had to be his actual age, I thought the casting was fine.

** SPOILER ALERT ** SPOILER ALERT ** SPOILER ALERT **

A couple of weak spots for me (that are in unfortunate places) include the final scene with Jessica Walters, where her reaction to his being obviously seriously injured is pretty laissez-faire. The night before (or a night or two before; it's a little confusing) she's begging him to quit before he gets hurt, trying desperately to convince him he must one day give football up and life will go on, she'll help him get through it. That exchange, where she's comforting him, even after he's revealed something pretty hurtful, it is obvious she still loves him very much, marital problems aside and her own mixed signals in the bedroom aside... So I just found the later scene of her reaction to his injury unbelievable. Even when I've been totally furious at my husband, I can just imagine getting a call he'd been in a wreck or something -- I'd melt, and I'd be on my way to the hospital at light speed. In the movie, the Walters character should've been hustling to get to him on the field.

Another weak spot for me was Bruce Dern, whom I like in general, but if anyone's casting in a football movie was off, it was Dern's. Picturing him as the go-to wide-receiver who gets out of the game before he suffers any sort of lasting injury; boy, I just don't see that.

One scene I thought was especially well done that someone was beefing about over at either Amazon.com or IMDB.com was the rather vicious fight Heston (as Ron Catlan) and Walters (as his wife, Julie) get into, when he drops by her studio after drinking too much with Richie (Dern). He finds her there laughing and getting a massage from her gay business partner, a man who insists on flirting with him mainly because Catlan finds it disgusting (in keeping with the times and mores). After he throws the guy out, the fight rapidly jumps from the topic of her gay friend to Catlan's being tired of her never being around to his taking a nasty but truly believable swipe at her not having conceived yet. The naysayer from whichever site it was could not believe that representation of a fight between married people... LOL! Well, all I can say, is the naysayer has never had a real humdinger of an argument with a spouse...! The first time I saw that scene I nearly laughed and cried. He behaves like a total *******, and she acts like a clueless wench, and each one has their reasons. She is oblivious to leading him on in bed at a time in his life when he probably needs the closeness as much as the *** and then pulling away like a high-school virgin and not a wife, and then having him find her getting a rub down from a man he regards as disgusting. She does not click to how much she brags about her business, while the one thing he's always loved to do he's starting to mess up at. And so he lashes out at something pretty primal. Not pretty or kind, but damned human. Again, it's another helluva scene.

So, Number One is another of those flawed gems that is definitely worth watching.

In terms of decent DVD copies, until the studios decide to get a clue and do an official release, there is a place online called www.iOffer.com for buying, selling, and swapping items, including DVD's and VHS tapes, where you can get good, watchable copies of Number One on DVD. Only problem I've had with one of the two I've gotten (I wore one out, just like my copy of The Omega Man) was having the audio not synch with video in half a dozen scenes.