Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:26 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Number One
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:51 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

newspaper ad from The Milwaukee Journal - August, 1969.

Attachments:
number.png
number.png [ 450.04 KiB | Viewed 1199 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:54 am 
Call Me Harry

Chrysagon wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Another detractor was that Chuck, by then in his late 40s and while not a small man by any means, was not really big enough to be a football player - even the pro quaterback they hired to train him said as much.

I find that to be a little strange... and hard to buy into.
First of all, Quarterbacks are not the bigger players; some are, but many are in the 6' 2" range - it's the guards / blockers and tackles&linebackers that are the big guys. You need a good throwing arm to be a quarterback; being big helps sometimes but it's that throwing arm that is what's important.

Secondly, since Chuck was about 6' 3" (he was a big guy, no 2 ways about it) I would think he'd be ideal to play a footballer - especially a quarterback. I think the main problem was Chuck's age at that point. Most quarterbacks are retired by age 40 - Bret Favre is one those exceptional guys that made it to 40 and even he is now finally retired at 41. It would have been better if the film was made around 1964 or earlier, for Chuck's age to work a bit better.

Favre, Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco are all a lot bulkier than Chuck was, even in his prime (height VS. mass). Even the quarterback who trained Chuck for the film stated that he looked thin in the jersey. I guess something else I should have said is that some men, no matter their build or baring, just don't have the knack for football, or some other specific sport. Chuck recalled making an unsuccessful attempt at football in either high school or college and that's how he got his nose broken. My father stands over 6'6" and people ask him why he never tried professional basketball, and he always replies "I just didn't have the coordination."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:11 pm 
No Water For Me

I watched Brett Favre play every game of his final season with the Minnesota Vikings... It was a lot like Number One.... battered and bruised :punch:

I like that film very much... it plays on Comcast every so often, and they have even shown it in widescreen... Thats where I got my copy :popcorn:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:23 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I hope this is not too political; but I thought it was interesting. Last night, I was channel surfing and came across Greta Van Susteren's interview with Gloria Cain, wife of presidential candidate Herman Cain. At the portion of the interview I saw, Herman Cain joined the ladies, and Greta asked Herman to tell about his first date with Gloria.

Apparently, Cain had pursued Gloria for some time before she would agree to go out on a date with him. Herman said they went to a movie. Greta asked "what was the movie?", and Herman answered "it was NUMBER ONE starring Charlton Heston!".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:00 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I want to see this film!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:04 am 
Prince Judah

Here's another poster of the film, also with a lot of writing on it -
similar to the one at the top of this page, but with different wording:

The picture on the poster also seems to imply that Heston's character is a lousy fellow in the film.
It tries to make the film intriguing, but it's not very accurate; I don't think Heston's character was a "Fat Cat" who tried to trample everyone and maybe even **** women in the film, but maybe my memory is off. You can see the poster on IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm650033920/tt0064743

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:55 am 
Cheating Bastard

I liked this movie a lot. Maybe it has a bit too much of that 1960's movie-making flavor for some people but the story was really solid and the entire movie was well-acted. The New York Times gave it a good review upon release. http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9906E3DC1031EE3BBC4052DFBF668382679EDE

"If Heston could have been better, we don't know how."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:49 pm 
Prince Judah

Thanks for the review-link, I liked it. I am fond of anything on a sportsman's life, and willing to watch Chuck in this athlete's role, if I have a chance to.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:38 am 
Prince Judah

I was watching some stills for NUMBER ONE, and I am surprised why people say that Chuck looked 'skinny' for an athlete, that he didn't have an "athletic bone" in him, and his passes were mechanical. Do all athletes need to be weight-lifters or wrestlers? In games like football and cricket, an overall fitness and skill according to one's position and function in the team is all that is required. Chuck did not at all look 'skinny', nor did he look like a giant, he was pretty convincing as an athlete who is past his prime. And that is the character, isn't it. It is not about showing off one man's superhuman skill, it is about a talented player's memories of past glory and his conflict with his present state of inevitable inability to maintain that level of skill any longer.

I also wonder how many actors, if they are not sporting and athletic enough, will let the opponent-team's defenders-- three big men together, smash him to the ground to make the scene authentic. Chuck suffererd some injuries but he did it! That's the sportsman's spirit, that's athleticism.

I really, really want to watch this movie in full.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:43 am 
Prince Judah

I'm not sure if you were referring to Chuck himself or his character getting hurt, but I just read an interview with Heston in FILMFAX magazine and he stated that he cracked a couple of his ribs during filming of this one, so some scenes on the football field were a bit too realistic, as it turns out. Heston rarely got hurt on his films, even the rigorous ones (another one was a horse mishap on MAJOR DUNDEE), but the irony here is that maybe this was a sign that Heston had reached a certain age by that point and much of his very physical roles were behind him as the seventies began. I still maintain that he was a couple of years too old for this role; it wasn't very serious - it's not like he was a decade too old - but just 2 or 3 years earlier may have been better for him in this role.

I agree with everything else you wrote, however; the whole point was the pro athlete just past his prime and struggling with that; this was all very well done. According to an earlier post by me on this thread, I last saw this a couple of years ago and do not recall the football playing scenes in detail; so, I also have to watch this again to see how well Chuck acts out a pro footballer on the field. There is one other quibble I have and it's this:
Leiningen'sLady wrote:
** SPOILER ALERT ** SPOILER ALERT ** SPOILER ALERT **

A couple of weak spots for me (that are in unfortunate places) include the final scene with Jessica Walters, where her reaction to his being obviously seriously injured is pretty laissez-faire.

This I really agree with. I always found the ending to be weird. After he's injured badly, his wife (Jessica Walter) reacts like 'oh well, it had to happen - sigh - wonder what's on TV later tonight?' Very strange ending to me. I suppose this may have been a way to emphasize the callous, unfeeling nature of the whole pro sports empire and how Heston's qb was just the latest casualty in a long line of players.