Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:51 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Charlton Heston releases on DVD & Blu-ray
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:26 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
Now, you go to Amazon.com and that DVD edition is selling for $120 new and $50 used... and it's of supposedly poor quality. Go figure. :-?

I know, I've seen that for some years now, the prices for the DVD's are ridiculous. When the Blu-ray becomes available in America, they will probably drop.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:10 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I have received the region B Blu-rays of 55 Days at Peking and The War Lord. 55 Days looks quite magnificent, its image harvested from a large format negative. This looks as good IMO as some of the other large format Heston films that have been released over the past few years and is highly recommended. It includes the curtain raiser overture and the Andy Williams exit song.

The War Lord is less impressive, but I don't think it is the Blu-ray's fault. There is a sort of fogginess to some of the exterior scenes, such as the opening credits, while the wording of the credits is quite sharp and vivid. All the interiors are razor sharp and clear. I wonder if there is print damage, or if they were trying for some sort of effect in exterior scenes? The clarity of the Blu-ray reveals the budgetary limitations of the film. There will be scenes on top of the tower shot from above that show the actual height of the tower with action on the ground below. These are intercut with scenes obviously shot on a soundstage with a mock-up of the top of the turret with a Star Trek style cyclorama background. These cuts have always been noticeable; they just seem more so on Blu-ray. In any case, this is the best I've ever seen The War Lord look, so I do recommend the Blu-ray (to those who can play region B Blu-ray discs).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:14 pm 
El Cid

Ed Bannon wrote:
The War Lord is less impressive, but I don't think it is the Blu-ray's fault. There is a sort of fogginess to some of the exterior scenes, such as the opening credits, while the wording of the credits is quite sharp and vivid. All the interiors are razor sharp and clear. I wonder if there is print damage, or if they were trying for some sort of effect in exterior scenes? The clarity of the Blu-ray reveals the budgetary limitations of the film. There will be scenes on top of the tower shot from above that show the actual height of the tower with action on the ground below. These are intercut with scenes obviously shot on a soundstage with a mock-up of the top of the turret with a Star Trek style cyclorama background. These cuts have always been noticeable; they just seem more so on Blu-ray. In any case, this is the best I've ever seen The War Lord look, so I do recommend the Blu-ray (to those who can play region B Blu-ray discs).

On Friday 25 February I went to see THE WAR LORD at my local Odeon cinema and the fogginess at the beginning of the dvd was present in the cinema version as well. I reckon they tried to make it look foggy in the marshes but they really did a bodge job in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 am 
Prince Judah

This may not qualify as an official new DVD release, but I just noticed this guy selling a Secret of the Incas DVD on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290749781007?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

According to this, the DVD has been popular, selling almost 300 copies so far. The seller has one negative feedback from about 4 months ago, from a buyer who complained about the content and high shipping cost (probably shipped to another country). It doesn't really make sense since obviously the other almost 300 buyers were apparently satisfied. The seller also includes some colorful additions to the listing page and seems to be a fan of the film:

There's also a bonus in this somewhere - a Radio version of the film! (with Heston!). The seller also explains how he's able to sell a DVD-R and be within eBay guidelines (I wasn't aware of this; I tried to sell some DVD-Rs a couple of years ago and my listing was deleted by eBay admins). I'm tempted to buy this one even though I already have a DVD-R of the film; this one might be better. Also, by wild coincidence, the seller is apparently located in the town next to mine! Should I get this or is it a waste of money? ($12 + $2 shipping).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:23 am 
El Cid

I have bought virtually all the dvd's being sold on the net of SECRET OF THE INCAS and this is the worst (quality wise) of the lot. He has slightly changed the writing on the back sleeve since I bought mine, and added the the Lux Radio version, and unless he has found a better quality copy of the film I personally would give it a miss. His version isn't a patch on the Italian or Spanish ones, Chrysagon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:24 pm 
Prince Judah

James Byrne wrote:
...unless he has found a better quality copy of the film I personally would give it a miss. His version isn't a patch on the Italian or Spanish ones, Chrysagon.

It sounds like he's a good seller in terms of marketing his product but the product itself is not very good. The reason I considered getting this is the way his listing was set up - it all looked impressive and enthusiastic about the DVD. (Or, the DVD-R really). But, I guess it makes no sense to get a DVD-R which probably is just a duplicate of the one I already have (except for the Radio inclusion).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:41 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Wow, 300 sold? That's quite a lot. Paramount, take notice! There's a HIGH demand for this movie.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:02 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Olive Films has announced they'll release Dark City on Blu-ray!

You can pre-order it here: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-City-Blu-ray ... 2&sr=1-2&k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:46 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Those looking for an English release of Counterpoint can stop lookin' and start buyin!

It seems we missed this one, as it was released by Odeon Entertainment on September 1st. You can order your copy here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Counterpoint-DV ... 76&sr=1-24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:01 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Biggest new release for a long time below!

The Colbys - Shout! Factory Press Release Announces 'The Complete Series' on DVD!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Colbys ... ries/20698

I've been waiting YEARS for this one to be announced! A soap opera starring Chuck is going to be awesome to watch and add to the collection. Mid-May can't come here soon enough!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next