Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:23 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Mother Lode
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:34 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

chesterfieldkings wrote:
I've been waiting a long time for this to come out. I had a VHS tape but I finally wore it out.

I take it you've pre-ordered your copy already then?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:56 pm 
Prince Judah

I finally watched this last night in its entirety after a gap of about 25 years (the last time I watched the whole film). This was the new Region 1 DVD release, in widescreen. I think this film needs to be seen in its correct widescreen format. There are some stunning wilderness shots as seen from the air. Even more, the location where most of the film takes place (Heston's cabin and mine) is this lush forest that has this really primitive, wild feel to it (filmed in the Pacific Northwest, Canada), unique to this film. It looks fantastic on the new DVD.

This was one of Heston's few directing jobs, a decade after his first stint in Antony and Cleopatra. I would guess he didn't do this often as both starring in and directing a film was probably a series of headaches for him. It was also the rare chance for him to be a villain - with a strong Scottish accent to boot. Many scenes take place inside the mine and are dark (naturally), so it may be best to watch this at nighttime. There's gold in that there mine, laddie - arr..!

My main criticism has to do with the 2nd character that Heston plays (yes, Heston is in a dual role here), Ian, the brother of the main character, Silas. I think this was a missed opportunity for Heston to truly play a dual role. As it turned out, though, Ian is only glimpsed in shadows or in the distance briefly, and never speaks. When he was taken out of the story, I thought 'that's it? not even a word from him?' - disappointing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:25 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Sounds like I need to get the Widescreen edition of the movie as well. I already knew I do, but your review of it makes me want it even more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:10 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Sorry it's been so long since my last post. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up and get some posts on here.

For Christmas I received a number of Charlton Heston movies. One of them was "Mother Lode". This was the movie that Charlton Heston was working on, back in 1981, when I first wrote to him. My first autographed letter came post marked from Canada. I had sent the letter to an address in California and it was forwarded to him. Anyway, for that reason alone, this movie is special to me.

It's been a long time since I had seen the movie, so was excited to now have it on DVD to watch again. I had forgotten that he directed this film. I watched the film a couple of evenings ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I won't spoil the ending for those of you that haven't seen it, so I won't comment about it here. I would venture to say this is one of Heston's finest roles. He not only directs the film, but plays twin brothers, both standing on the edge of madness. Kim Basinger and Nick Mancuso are okay in the film. I'm not a big fan of Basinger, but this was her second movie (not counting work in television episodes). She did a pretty good job as Andrea. In one part of the movie, one of Heston's characters goes after her with an ax! A well done scene for both actors. As for Mancuso, can't say I've ever seen anything else that he has been in. I'm sure I have, but he just didn't stand out. The other actor in the film, besides Heston, that was excellent, was John Marley. He played the part of Elijah. If you've seen the movie, "The Godfather (1972), he was the guy who ended up with the horse head in his bed. Back then, that was a very powerful and shocking scene for a movie. Marley's character plays sort of "the chorus" of the film, the voice that warns the young couple of the danger they are walking into.

Besides Heston's excellent performance in this movie, the DVD has a wonderful documentary called, "Behind The Scenes with Filmmaker Fraser C. Heston. This documentary seems to be recently filmed, as he talks about his father in the past tense. It looks like it was filmed at the same time that the documentary on the newest release of "Ben-Hur", was done. Since Fraser wrote and produced this film, he gives you a wonderful look at how the movie came to be. The airplane crash into the lake, near the beginning of the film, was not a stunt. It actually happened. No one was hurt, but it looked so good on film, that they decided to use it. There are other interesting stories and information about how they filmed this movie. The documentary alone, is worth buying this DVD.

So, if you do not have this film in your collection, you should get it. It's an interesting movie to watch. Heston, as one of the "bad guys", for a change. And, he portrayed it magnificently!

Hope you enjoyed my recommendation. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:26 pm 
Michelangelo

Mother Lode 1982 theatrical trailer

contributor: robatsea2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Yx7pCNMWg)

:cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:47 pm 
Astronaut

Chrysagon wrote:

My main criticism has to do with the 2nd character that Heston plays (yes, Heston is in a dual role here), Ian, the brother of the main character, Silas. I think this was a missed opportunity for Heston to truly play a dual role. As it turned out, though, Ian is only glimpsed in shadows or in the distance briefly, and never speaks. When he was taken out of the story, I thought 'that's it? not even a word from him?' - disappointing.

If I remember Heston's autobiography... I think he interpreted the brother-figure as an imagined alter-ego, a pseudo self of Silas himself, who has some deep psychological eccentricities . I haven't seen the movie, but I feel that it can be one reason why that shadow-character is not properly developed.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:20 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

This is a pretty underrated movie of Heston's. At the very least, a very underrated performance, because he's is great in it. I love it when Chuck got to play a villain, he really goes all out with the character here and pulls of a decent (as far as I know) Scottish accent, which funnily enough is where his ancestors came from.

It's very suspenseful, sometimes it's downright scary. You never know where you have this strange old miner Silas character. Is he good? Evil? Just a bit lonely, perhaps? You'll keep guessing as the movie goes on. Kim Basinger was absolutely stunning in her then only second feature.

They picked a great spot to film, and I'm sure Chuck loved shooting it in Brittish Columbia. What a beautiful setting! Like Chrysagon says, the new DVD looks great and the featurette with Fraser Heston was very informative and entertaining.

Chrysagon wrote:

Upon rewatching this, I must point out that Ian does speak in the movie. He rambles something in English and then switches to Gaelic before Andrea's eyes. Other tan that, I agree with you. We didn't get to see much of him at all and that's a shame. I'm sure Chuck would have loved more Ian screentime. Perhaps there just wasn't enough time?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:08 am 
Prince Judah

Ladyhawke wrote:
Kim Basinger and Nick Mancuso are okay in the film. I'm not a big fan of Basinger, but this was her second movie (not counting work in television episodes). She did a pretty good job as Andrea. In one part of the movie, one of Heston's characters goes after her with an ax! A well done scene for both actors. As for Mancuso, can't say I've ever seen anything else that he has been in. I'm sure I have, but he just didn't stand out.
Kim Basinger was very young in this film; she looked so fresh, like just out of college, it's a bit startling for me to watch her in this now. I actually remember first seeing Mancuso in a few early roles just before he did this film and I thought he was a rising young star who had promise. He played a secret agent in the James Bond mold in a funky TV Movie called Dr. Scorpion back in '78 - that was probably where I first saw him. But, his other early roles were in standard horror movies Nightwing (about killer bats) and Death Ship (about a killer ship); this did nothing to advance his career.

Thorn wrote:
Upon rewatching this, I must point out that Ian does speak in the movie. He rambles something in English and then switches to Gaelic before Andrea's eyes. Other tan that, I agree with you.
I need to watch this again; I might have not been paying attention during these key scenes and missed Ian's most important moments - maybe I thought he was Silas. :-?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:42 pm 
El Cid

MOTHER LODE is another Heston movie that my children loved back in the good old days of VHS. In fact, my eldest daughter pointed out to me that the early plane scenes reminded her of Harry Steele and Elena in the plane from SECRET OF THE INCAS.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:39 pm 
Cheating Bastard

Mother Lode is scheduled to broadcast in the UK on Monday afternoon ( December 14th) at 3.15pm.
Only note of caution is that the EPG is not always reliable with that channel - it's usually right though so fingers crossed! Haven't seen the film before so I'm looking forward to it.