Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Midway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:18 pm 
Michelangelo

NBC Movie promo Midway 1978 (First Time on TV)

:cheers: :uzi:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:17 am 
Prince Judah

Recently, I read up on the Sensurround process in the magazine CINEMA RETRO #20 (Spring, 2011); MIDWAY was the 2nd film, after EARTHQUAKE, to utilize Sensurround. Both films, of course, starred Heston - an odd coincidence. Sensurround, which enhanced the sound system including rumble effects on the theater audience, was tailor-made for EARTHQUAKE (1974). In MIDWAY, it enhanced all the explosions and gunfire in the film. The film was a hit and Heston even visited the Far East at the time (1976) to aid in the marketing; the film had grossed a then-amazing one million dollars in its first week overseas there.

This was also another film in which added material was shot for the TV premiere - in this case, footage of Heston's character's girlfriend (played by Susan Sullivan); she only appears in the TV version, which aired in 2 parts. I dimly remember her scenes and they have a 'TV-movie' feel to them. Other films of that time which had new scenes created for their TV versions were EARTHQUAKE and TWO MINUTE WARNING, both of which also starred Heston.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:22 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
This was also another film in which added material was shot for the TV premiere - in this case, footage of Heston's character's girlfriend (played by Susan Sullivan); she only appears in the TV version, which aired in 2 parts. I dimly remember her scenes and they have a 'TV-movie' feel to them. Other films of that time which had new scenes created for their TV versions were EARTHQUAKE and TWO MINUTE WARNING, both of which also starred Heston.

Hopefully, one day we'll be able to get both versions of the movies on a DVD or Blu-ray release. Perhaps just as an added bonus features where you can choose to see those TV-version scenes separately.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:35 am 
Prince Judah

The full TV preview of MIDWAY - "NBC FRIDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES" - note the inclusion of actress Susan Sullivan during the rundown of all the various actors in the film; she only appears in this TV version:

Going by memory, the last time I checked out the latest DVD edition of this film, those extra TV scenes with Sullivan (playing Heston's girlfriend) were included in the extras section, but not integrated into the film itself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:15 am 
Prince Judah

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Good film but I have to admit the fate of Heston's character was a bit... random.

Here's the key scene in question - Heston and other pilots fly off in their airplanes to do battle; then, later, that random factor... (warning - SPOILER - if you haven't seen this film yet, you might want to wait before watching this scene, which occurs near the end of the film):

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:02 pm 
Marabunta

R.I.P. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =133498190

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:49 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I've seen him in a lot of stuff, he was the kind of actor that you'd see every now and then in various movies and TV-shows. A solid performer.

R.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:10 pm 
El Cid

I have never liked BATTLE OF MIDWAY, I was sorry that Heston passed on THE OMEN to make this movie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:59 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
I have never liked BATTLE OF MIDWAY, I was sorry that Heston passed on THE OMEN to make this movie.

That was a huge mistake on his part, career wise. He seemed to be fine with it, though, saying he never could have played the part better than Peck. Also, he wrote in his book that he enjoyed working with a legend like Henry Fonda a great deal, so I'm sure he didn't have many sleepless nights about this. Besides, Midway did pretty well at the box office, didn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:29 pm 
El Cid

I haven't seen BATTLE OF MIDWAY for some time, I think its time I gave it another looksee.