Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:15 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Major Dundee
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:23 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Sam Peckinpah
Production year: 1965
Starring: Charlton Heston, Richard Harris, Jim Hutton

Plot:

During the last winter of the Civil War, cavalry officer Amos Dundee leads a contentious troop of Army regulars, Confederate prisoners and scouts on an expedition into Mexico to destroy a band of Apaches who have been raiding U.S. bases in Texas.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: Major Dundee
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:24 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

NOTE: This thread will be used for general talk of the movie Major Dundee. If there's anything specific you'd like to discuss, please start a new topic in this section.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:48 am 
Call Me Harry

A flawed but interesting film, with great tension between Heston, in one of his less heroic roles, and the wily Richard Harris. And I'd love to see footage of Heston chasing after director Sam Peckinpah (not that it exists of course).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:53 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
A flawed but interesting film, with great tension between Heston, in one of his less heroic roles, and the wily Richard Harris. And I'd love to see footage of Heston chasing after director Sam Peckinpah (not that it exists of course).

:lol: That would be priceless to see, I'd pay good money, too! That was one of the funniest parts in his book, and the incident is now infamous. Mostly because Chuck was the nicest guy on any set he worked on, so it was definitely not like him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:50 pm 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:

:lol: That would be priceless to see, I'd pay good money, too! That was one of the funniest parts in his book, and the incident is now infamous. Mostly because Chuck was the nicest guy on any set he worked on, so it was definitely not like him.

And it made for one of his best quotes: "Sam is the only person I've ever physically threatened on a set."

This seems to be yet another film that probably couldn't be made today, partly because westerns aren't really in style and who knows if Hollywood believes audiences would pay to see a film about a guy who's basically a thug, albeit an ambitious thug, and seeing how he abuses his power before descending into his own personal Hell.

The 2005 score is much better than the original.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:19 pm 
El Cid

Michael Anderson Jr played the bugler in MAJOR DUNDEE, and he also narrated it. His dad directed THE WRECK OF THE MARY DEARE five years before, which also starred Heston and Richard Harris.

Despite the studio cuts - this is a really wonderful western.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:23 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Despite the studio cuts - this is a really wonderful western.

Agreed. I think it's very underrated. I've only seen the extended edition that is out on DVD, so I don't know how it looked before that. I have a hard time believing it was a huge mess though. I think it's one of the best westerns Heston did.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:48 am 
El Cid

Yes, Thorn, MAJOR DUNDEE is not a mess, I wish people would stop saying things like that. My son Danny loved this movie when he was a kid. He was always playing this and 55 DAYS AT PEKING. He was also very fond of KHARTOUM and could do a spot-on impersonation of Larry Olivier as The Mahdi.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:11 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Yes, Thorn, MAJOR DUNDEE is not a mess, I wish people would stop saying things like that. My son Danny loved this movie when he was a kid. He was always playing this and 55 DAYS AT PEKING. He was also very fond of KHARTOUM and could do a spot-on impersonation of Larry Olivier as The Mahdi.

From the sound of it, your son is one cool dude :cowboy1:

I hope my future children will be able to appreciate Heston and his films. I'd get a kick out of watching my favorite actors with the next generation.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:05 am 
Call Me Harry

I can only imagine what it was like working with Richard Harris, who was also said to be problematic at times. Senta Berger said of him in the 2005 DVD's making of doc that he regarded just about everyone man around him as a rival, with Charlton Heston being the primary rival, so much so that Harris jacked up his boots just so he wouldn't look shorter than Heston (which of course he was, Heston being like 6'2" or 6'3" while Harris was like 6'0" or at most 6'1").