Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:54 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Major Dundee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:29 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Hello Ed Bannon, good to see you again. That's a rather pricey Blu-ray, but for the collector's it's a sure thing, I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:01 am 
Call Me Harry

Major Dundee on Blu-Ray? Hmm... interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:25 pm 
Prince Judah

Character actor R.G. Armstrong died a few days ago - I remember him vividly from the 1977 horror film The Car, where-in he stole the movie from James Brolin, Ronny Cox and John Marley in his brief role as the loudest, meanest man in the county; no one could play mean like Armstrong. He was also a mean one (for a preacher) in Major Dundee. The write-up at the New York Times:

R. G. Armstrong, Character Actor in Westerns, Dies at 95 By DANIEL E. SLOTNIK; Published: July 31, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/31/arts/ ... at-95.html

R. G. Armstrong Jr., a rough-hewed character actor known for playing sheriffs, outlaws and other macho roles, died on Friday at his home in Studio City, Calif. He was 95. Image
His death was confirmed by his daughter Robbie Armstrong-Dunham.

Mr. Armstrong’s five-decade career took off with guest spots on virtually all the popular Western television shows of the 1950s and ’60s, including “Have Gun — Will Travel” and “Gunsmoke.”

After meeting the writer and director Sam Peckinpah on the set of his 1960 series “The Westerner,” Mr. Armstrong became a regular in his films, playing an outspoken Christian fundamentalist in “Ride the High Country,” with Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea; a minister in “Major Dundee,” with Charlton Heston in the title role; and a vicious deputy sheriff alongside Kris Kristofferson and Bob Dylan (in a small role) in “Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.”

Departing from westerns, Mr. Armstrong performed with James Earl Jones in “The Great White Hope” and with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the alien-thriller “Predator.” He appeared on innumerable non-western television shows like “The Twilight Zone” and “The Andy Griffith Show,” and was a favorite of Warren Beatty’s. Mr. Beatty cast him in the films “Heaven Can Wait,” “Reds” and as Pruneface in “**** Tracy.”

Robert Golden Armstrong Jr. was born on April 7, 1917, in Birmingham, Ala. He graduated from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and moved to New York to attend Lee Strasberg’s Actors Studio in the mid-1950s. That led him to parts in Elia Kazan’s original production of Tennessee Williams’s “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” in 1955 (as Dr. Baugh) and in other Broadway shows like “Orpheus Descending” and “The Miracle Worker” before heading for Hollywood’s television studios.

Besides his daughter Robbie, Mr. Armstrong, who was married three times, is survived by two other daughters from his first marriage, Laurie Nell and Daryl Armstrong; a son, Wynn; a daughter from an earlier relationship, Betty; and five grandchildren. R.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57 am 
Astronaut

I'm just come from posting another death-news in the 'Ben-Hur' thread... may Armstrong rest in peace.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:12 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I've seen him in a lot of movies and always enjoyed his performances. A sad loss.

R.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:02 pm 
Call Me Harry

He's great for the few minutes of screen time he gets in "Major Dundee" but he'll always be the General at the start of "Predator" (1987) to me.

Rest in peace, Mr. Armstrong. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:09 pm 
Michelangelo

R. G. Armstrong, R.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:04 am 
Prince Judah

Sorry, I am late here to say 'Rest in Peace' to the deceased soul.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:46 pm 
Call Me Harry

You know what just occurred to me - "Ben-Hur" featured the title character (played by Chuck) at odds with an old friend (Stephen Boyd's Messala), and "Major Dundee" features its title character (Chuck again) also at odds with an old friend (this time Richard Harris as Captain Ben Tyreen), and both of those former friends ultimately meet tragic fates showcasing a lot of horses. Anyone else notice that? I can't believe I only just noticed it myself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:55 pm 
Astronaut

Hmmm... that's a thought-provoking insight. You can write a thesis on that, comparing to genres-- Epic and Western, on thematic similarities.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next