Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Major Dundee
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:12 pm 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
I could view it and I'm glad I did. Really good tribute there, very well edited and everything and the choice of music was good. I saw that you could download the video through the website as well, so I'm definitely saving it on my computer :cowboy1:

P.S. I really hope you'll work on that Will Penny tribute, too.

Glad you liked it.

If I ever find a downloadable source of Will Penny (my laptop either can't or won't burn DVDs) I'll let you know if I succeed in making a tribute to it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 pm 
Prince Judah

Half of the 3rd issue of the magazine CINEMA RETRO (from 2005) was devoted to legendary director Sam Peckinpah. One article of several pages was titled "MAJOR DUNDEE revisited", focusing on the restored version, which was 40 years in the making. The article also took a couple of pages to cover the genesis and making of the original film. One of the early problems was that Columbia planned the film as a roadshow release, then changed its mind, trimming the budget from $4.5 to $3 million. Peckinpah did not change his approach to making the film, however, behaving as if it was still the big event picture. He was a perfectionist, especially in regard to the authenticity of props and wardrobe.

There was also the issue of the location in northern Mexico; the crew and actors had to deal with everything from bad food to scorpions. But Peckinpah liked this, feeling that it reflected what the characters in the film dealt with. Here's a paragraph from the article:
Quote:
Richard Harris' rather weak health became obvious when he fell unconscious during early script readings. Charlton Heston injured his arm while falling off a horse. As this didn't happen during shooting but while 'impressing the ladies', Heston tried to hide his injury from Peckinpah and hid his arm under a poncho during a part of the village sequence. Peckinpah found out anyway and when they shot the departure from the village, he had to shoot around Heston who couldn't mount his horse.

____ Image
Things got worse as studio reps continued to tell Peckinpah to shoot faster and Peckinpah purposely slowed down, until it reached that point (as mentioned elsewhere on this thread/forum) that Heston ended up sacrificing his salary. By the end, the budget increased to over $4 million anyway. And, we haven't even got to the whole editing stage - what a fiasco that was! Peckinpah's cut was 3 hours long; producer Jerry Bresler took over editing and, unfortunately, Bresler & Peckinpah were on bad terms by that point, so it's no surprise what happened next. :(
____________ Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:57 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Impressing the ladies? Pffffft. Other than that, a good read. Thanks for posting it. I think it's interesting to read about movies that went through hell in the production stage.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:12 pm 
Call Me Harry

Yeah the more Hellish the production, the more interesting the stories of making the film tend to be. How can anyone forget the story of Chuck trying to run down Sam? ;) And it seems that Chuck endured a number of physically exhausting if not outright abusive shoots. Remember how he got flung out of his chariot the first time he started training for "Ben-Hur"? He was lucky that he didn't end up like Christopher Reeve (RIP).

It's a shame this film doesn't rank higher in the world of cinema, because I find it to be one of Chuck's most interesting performances, playing a man who is clearly not the hero he thinks he is yet wishes to be. I've never seen the original version, only the longer version, and we can still only ponder what else was lost.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:28 pm 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
James Byrne wrote:
Despite the studio cuts - this is a really wonderful western.

Agreed. I think it's very underrated. I've only seen the extended edition that is out on DVD, so I don't know how it looked before that. I have a hard time believing it was a huge mess though.

ELCID'83 wrote:
I've never seen the original version, only the longer version, and we can still only ponder what else was lost.

Back to the article in CINEMA RETRO, information from Grover Crisp, in charge of restoration: it reads that the first preview version in 1965 was 135 minutes. This itself shook up Peckinpah; this version was missing a long opening sequence at the Roste's ranch followed by the Indian massacre. Also missing was a friendly knife fight between Potts (James Coburn) and Sgt. Gomez; a lot of violence was also gone, as well as some humor. But, Peckinpah didn't know that his film would be further mutilated - the final studio release cut in 1965 ran 122 minutes. Many people who have seen this say that it resulted in a "confusing storyline that eliminated key sequences and character relationships."

There's a famous saying attributed to Peckinpah, "that he used everything 'they' cut out of Dundee for The Wild Bunch." There's a scene of Dundee (Heston) walking around the village with a whiskey bottle, for example, that was restored and is similar to one with Pike in the later film. The restored 12 or 13 minutes only came about because missing & mislabeled audio tracks were found. Otherwise, it would have stayed at 122 minutes. Of course, Peckinpah's original vision was more like 165 minutes. Maybe longer. The unusual thing about the restoration was a new music score. It's said that Peckinpah hated the original score.

Here's a rundown of the restored sequences, and some mention of a missing scene with a mule:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:25 am 
Call Me Harry

Chrysagon wrote:
Detective Thorn wrote:
James Byrne wrote:
Despite the studio cuts - this is a really wonderful western.

Agreed. I think it's very underrated. I've only seen the extended edition that is out on DVD, so I don't know how it looked before that. I have a hard time believing it was a huge mess though.

ELCID'83 wrote:
I've never seen the original version, only the longer version, and we can still only ponder what else was lost.

Back to the article in CINEMA RETRO, information from Grover Crisp, in charge of restoration: it reads that the first preview version in 1965 was 135 minutes. This itself shook up Peckinpah; this version was missing a long opening sequence at the Roste's ranch followed by the Indian massacre. Also missing was a friendly knife fight between Potts (James Coburn) and Sgt. Gomez; a lot of violence was also gone, as well as some humor. But, Peckinpah didn't know that his film would be further mutilated - the final studio release cut in 1965 ran 122 minutes. Many people who have seen this say that it resulted in a "confusing storyline that eliminated key sequences and character relationships."

There's a famous saying attributed to Peckinpah, "that he used everything 'they' cut out of Dundee for The Wild Bunch." There's a scene of Dundee (Heston) walking around the village with a whiskey bottle, for example, that was restored and is similar to one with Pike in the later film. The restored 12 or 13 minutes only came about because missing & mislabeled audio tracks were found. Otherwise, it would have stayed at 122 minutes. Of course, Peckinpah's original vision was more like 165 minutes. Maybe longer. The unusual thing about the restoration was a new music score. It's said that Peckinpah hated the original score.

Here's a rundown of the restored sequences, and some mention of a missing scene with a mule:

Ah, thank you. I listened to a bit of the original score and honestly it's vastly inferior to the newer score, which definitely feels more in step with Peckinpah's tragic vision. The "Dundee March" (with it's heroic "Fall in Behind the Major" lyric) feels painfully out of place with what actually occurs in the film. I can see why Peckinpah disliked it.

I'm pretty sure Heston himself cited "Major Dundee" as a victim of everyone not being on the same page as to what the ultimate vision of the film, which is unfortunate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:09 pm 
Astronaut

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Yeah the more Hellish the production, the more interesting the stories of making the film tend to be. How can anyone forget the story of Chuck trying to run down Sam? ;) And it seems that Chuck endured a number of physically exhausting if not outright abusive shoots. Remember how he got flung out of his chariot the first time he started training for "Ben-Hur"? He was lucky that he didn't end up like Christopher Reeve (RIP).

It's a shame this film doesn't rank higher in the world of cinema, because I find it to be one of Chuck's most interesting performances, playing a man who is clearly not the hero he thinks he is yet wishes to be. I've never seen the original version, only the longer version, and we can still only ponder what else was lost.

So the maxim is, 'Go through Hell to reach the glory'! Sounds like a parody of the Harrowing of Hell, he he he :lol: We shouldn't forget that the Planet of the Apes was also no less hellish in its shooting period, Heston had to work notwithstanding his attack of a viral fever, with a bad throat and the stunts in it were very demanding, physically.

Oh why can't any youtube-guy find at least one clip of of the momentous incident of Sam being chased by Heston?

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:13 pm 
Michelangelo

Major Dundee - Original Soundtrack (Main Title Record) - Sierra Charriba

:cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:42 pm 
Prince Judah

Awesome! How many wonderful things are there under your sleeve?

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:31 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Apparently, we will be seeing a Blu-ray release of Major Dundee. THIS INTERVIEW at the Home Theater forum with Twilight Time's Nick Redman discusses Major Dundee as being among their upcoming projects.

Twilight Time releases limited runs (usually 3,000 copies) of movies on Blu-ray that are neglected by the major studios. Among their releases so far are The Egyptian, Mysterious Island and Fright Night. However, as these are niche releases, they run in the $39.95 range.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next