Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: LUCY GALLANT
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:08 pm 
El Cid

The Times. Monday, September 26 1955.
Plaza
"Lucy Gallant", - For every moment of truth which the cinema vouchsafes us there is hour upon hour of that protracted daydream which is, if we are honest with ourselves, not the least of its charms. Worldly success, sensual pleasure, happiness ever after - it is a formula that never fails with most of the people most of the time and for few of us, in secret or when taken unawares, are proof against its glittering improbabilities. In "Lucy Gallant", a variation on the familiar theme of marriage or career, therefore, it is the trimmings on which everything depends.
In the small town in Texas where fortunes are being made overnight in oil and all the men have curry-coloured faces, the women are scarcely aware of looking frumps until the chance arrival of Lucy (Miss Jane Wyman), fleeing from the painful memory of being jilted, the sale of whose trousseau starts a craze among them for pretty and expensive clothes. Lucy opens a shop; enlarges it; lives for it - and is watched with mingled amusement and exasperation by the handsome rancher (Mr. Charlton Heston) who is evidently made for her. Since the old dilemma, marriage or a career - what a nineteenth century kind of air it has! - must be lent some little appearence of likelihood, pride is brought in. If he is in the mood to make concessions, she is not, and vice versa. But they are both rather charming people even when they are being silly, which is part of the daydream, and whenever we begin to weary of it there is sure to be Miss Thelma Ritter, an actress whose wondrously honest little face first transformed the screen for some of us a few years ago and whose ruefully wise, indomnitably hopeful manner has been a godsend to it ever since.

Post subject: Re: LUCY GALLANT
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:48 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Thanks for all these reviews you're posting on the forum, please keep them coming if you have more available. Do you own the magazines these were written in or are they available on the internet somewhere?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:52 am 
El Cid

No Thorn ... you have to dig them out at the local library. I know the dates that all Heston movies were released in the U.K. and then I copy them out of that week's newspaper.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:25 pm 
El Cid

I recommend this movie to Heston fans, its very good in a glossy soap opera sort of way. If you like the James Dean movie GIANT you will also enjoy this. By the way, Heston's name was put forward to play the Dean and Rock Hudson characters. Can you imagine the young Heston as Jett Rink?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:28 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Is it possible to by this dvd in english WITH english subtitels?

Thank you for answer!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:37 pm 
El Cid

Hi pompon.
Unfortunately the answer is no. I am very anxious to add this to my dvd collection. I have LUCY GALLANT on a 20 year old video, but its just about had it (and my video recorder no longer works anyway).
I would be interested in buying a good dvd copy of LUCY GALLANT if anybody has one.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 pm 
No Water For Me

I don't care for Jane Wyman or her character in this. Why? Because I definitely would have chosen husband over career! Or have both.
She obviously did not make the right choice. (JMO)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:09 pm 
El Cid

Dianna wrote:
I don't care for Jane Wyman or her character in this. Why? Because I definitely would have chosen husband over career! Or have both.
She obviously did not make the right choice. (JMO)

Correct me if I'm wrong Dianna, but Jane Wyman did see sense at the end of LUCY GALLANT, didn't she?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:55 am 
El Cid

I have just ordered a dvd of LUCY GALLANT. It has a foreign cover but the film plays in English - it was also very pricy - nearly £30, but I don't care. I can't wait to see this wonderful Heston movie again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:16 pm 
El Cid

Finally my dvd of LUCY GALLANT arrived through the post, and it was well worth the wait.

When she had completed filming of LUCY GALLANT, Jane Wyman joked that if she ever gave up acting she could prosper in the oil business. Some of the picture was filmed in the California oil fields. An oil executive told Jane his company was in a bit of a quandry as to where to drill its next well. Kiddingly Jane pointed to a nearby spot and said, "I bet there's oil right there." Sometime later Jane received a telegram. She had been right. The company investigated, dug a well and struck oil.

Famed costumer Edith Head not only designed all the wardrobe for the movie, including a lavish fashion show, but she also made her film debut in LUCY GALLANT. Miss Head created a total of 154 outfits, with Jane Wyman wearing 19 originals, Claire Trevor 11 and Thelma Ritter 10. The eight gorgeous models in the movies closing show were selected following interviews with over 200 applicants. Most of them had modelled for many of the leading designers.

Jody McCrea, son of the great western star Joel McCrea, visited the set and was given the role of Tom Dunning.
Also in the cast was the wonderful Mary Field. If her face looks slightly familiar to fans of Heston movies - she played one of the nuns in THE PRIVATE WAR OF MAJOR BENSON and also played a circus spectator in THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH. Mary Field qualified as Hollywood's only real gold digger because at the time of filming she owned the Monte Cristo gold mine at Angeles Crest Forest.

Playing one of Heston's Air Force buddies is John Mitchum, who looked considerably slimmer back then in 1955. Its funny how the Mitchum family turn up every now and again in Heston movies. John's far more famous brother was Robert Mitchum, who did a day's filming in MIDWAY and also narrated TOMBSTONE. Mitchum was actually supposed to play old man Clanton but his back gave out on the first day of filming, so they let him narrate this excellent western instead. Julie Mitchum, John and Robert's sister, was one of the thousands of slaves in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. Jim Mitchum, son of Robert, was in the ill-fated GENGHIS KHAN, Chuck's final movie, and another son, Chris, had a starring role in THE LAST HARD MEN.

The 37th Governor of Texas, Allan Shivers, appears as himself, and actually gives a good performance. The day I was born - 29 September 1952 - Allan Shivers was on the front cover of TIME magazine.

http://www.time.com/covers/0,16641,19520929,00.html

The Italian poster for LUCY GALLANT, "TERRA di GIGANTI" is terrible, almost as bad as the five Italian posters that I own of SECRET OF THE INCAS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenman2008/6406547901/

Heston looks older than he is in the movie, and Jane Wyman and Claire Trevor are unrecognizable.

I strongly urge all you Heston fans to buy LUCY GALLANT. Its one of his forgotten movies but its a real cool soap opera, with some stunningly beautiful costumes by the great Edith Head. No wonder she won so many Oscars for costuming.