Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Khartoum
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:21 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Basil Dearden, Eliot Elisofon
Production year: 1966
Starring: Charlton Heston, Laurence Olivier, Richard Johnson

Plot:

After an Egyptian army, commanded by British officers, is destroyed in a battle in the Sudan in the 1880's, the British government is in a quandary. It does not want to commit a British military force to a foreign war but they have a commitment to protect the Egyptians in Khartoum. They decide to ask General Charles "Chinese" Gordon, something of a folk hero in the Sudan as he had cleared the area of the slave trade, to arrange for the evacuation. Gordon agrees but also decides to defend the city against the forces of the Mahdi - the expected one - and tries to force the British to commit troops.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: Khartoum
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:04 am 
Call Me Harry

I've always found the closing shots with the narrator and music set around the statue of Gordon to be among the most beautiful and poignant I've ever seen in a film.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:14 am 
Michelangelo

In the films of Charlton Heston, Jeff Rovin wrote:
Quote:
Khartoum is a fine and powerful motion picture. It features incredible color photography, rivaling that of Lawrence of Arabia, and is, as well, a showcase for exquisite sets and costumes. Olivier is superb as the Mahdi. Richard Johnson is sturdy as Hugh-Stewart and Heston is excellent as Gordon.

I fully agree with the author. Furthermore, the score is very beautiful
and emotional. It is a very good movie, my 4th favour Heston's Epic. :popcorn: :applause: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:25 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Heston said that this was one of his favorite movies in his career. Other than the obvious ones (Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments, Planet of the Apes etc) he really liked The War Lord and Khartoum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:20 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Only seen a couple of parts of this movie, including...

Spoiler:
the scene where Heston's character dies at the end. I don't think I'd ever seen a Heston character die on screen before and it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I suppose I should give it another chance sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:26 pm 
Michelangelo

Indeed, Heston also mentioned that Khartoum was one of the two or three best
scripts he had even read. :thumbsup: :applause:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:31 pm 
El Cid

KHARTOUM is a terrific epic with a fantastic cast. The very last epic as well ... sci fi became popular in the late sixties and the epic was dead.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:04 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
KHARTOUM is a terrific epic with a fantastic cast. The very last epic as well ... sci fi became popular in the late sixties and the epic was dead.

It's a shame that the genre died, but I guess it was inevitable. They couldn't afford making them as grand as Ben-Hur or The Ten Commandments much longer. Then came the 2000's and the CGI epics appeared for the first time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:30 pm 
El Cid

Anybody else notice that Peter Arne plays two different roles in KHARTOUM ... I wonder how that came about?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:05 pm 
El Cid

Hey Thorn, how come you haven't listed KHARTOUM in the "Epic" section?

On the subject of Peter Arne playing two different parts in one Heston movie, I have just remembered that Woody Strode also had two roles in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, and that a bit player was dressed like a tourist and a Quechuan Indian in SECRET OF THE INCAS. Come to think of it Chuck played twin brothers in MOTHER LODE and in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS he played Moses and the Voice of God.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next