Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:07 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Khartoum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:25 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Bill Tyler wrote:
Truly a fine soundtrack for an exceptional film.

Regrettably, I don't own this soundtrack yet. I believe it's OOP and quite expensive.

Bill Tyler wrote:

Khartoum 1966 souvenier movie program

Nice, is that from your personal collection?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:41 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I watched the Twilight Time Blu-ray of Khartoum over the weekend. I thought it looked spectacular. If you've only seen the DVD, you are in for a treat. The DVD looks like a VHS compared to the Blu-ray. Tons of details are visible, from eye colors to rocks and grains of sand, to lace on uniforms, to printing on newspapers, to intricate Islamic designs. IMO, This is in the class of the Blu-rays of Ben-Hur and The Ten Commandments in terms of picture quality.

There are few extras. The original trailer is included, along with a trailer celebrating MGM's 90th anniversary. There's also a commentary track. I only listened to a few minutes of it, and felt they were a bit too harsh on the film's quality. The film also includes the music score in mono on an isolated track. In spite of reports that a version of the film was found with a 6-track soundtrack, only a 2.0 DTS HD Master track is included.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:19 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Ed Bannon wrote:
I watched the Twilight Time Blu-ray of Khartoum over the weekend. I thought it looked spectacular. If you've only seen the DVD, you are in for a treat. The DVD looks like a VHS compared to the Blu-ray. Tons of details are visible, from eye colors to rocks and grains of sand, to lace on uniforms, to printing on newspapers, to intricate Islamic designs. IMO, This is in the class of the Blu-rays of Ben-Hur and The Ten Commandments in terms of picture quality.

There are few extras. The original trailer is included, along with a trailer celebrating MGM's 90th anniversary. There's also a commentary track. I only listened to a few minutes of it, and felt they were a bit too harsh on the film's quality. The film also includes the music score in mono on an isolated track. In spite of reports that a version of the film was found with a 6-track soundtrack, only a 2.0 DTS HD Master track is included.

Yeah, I read a review on Blu-ray.com where they raved on the picture quality and gave it a 4.5/5. Looking forward to seeing it this or next week.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:30 am 
Prince Judah

Here is an interesting blog site that delves into the matte shots of several films, including Khartoum: http://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com/20 ... rtoum.html

If you go there, the first film it studies is Caesar and Cleopatra, so you may have to move down the page to reach the write-up on Khartoum. This has quite a bit of info and pics for those interested in that type of work (matte work); here's a sample of the pictures from the site:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:20 pm 
Cheating Bastard

Turner Classic Movies will be running "Khartoum" on Friday, October 10 at 8 PM Eastern.....reserve a seat!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:20 am 
Call Me Harry

So this was one of a few of Chuck's films that almost starred Burt Lancaster in the lead role. Prior to this Burt turned down "Dark City" (Chuck's film debut) and "Ben-Hur" (calling it "a piece of crap"), and he apparently really wanted to do "The Agony & The Ecstasy" but couldn't do that one or "Khartoum" due to scheduling conflicts with other films he was doing. Kind of mind bending to think of what could have been, isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:08 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

So Burt was the first choice for Khartoum and The Agony and the Ecstasy? I've never heard that before, those roles were so perfect for Heston I can't see anyone else in them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:12 am 
Prince Judah

Here may be some of the strangest trivia associated with this film and, for that matter, any of Heston's films: a few hours ago, I decided to check out the campy sci-fi pic FLASH GORDON (1980) on DVD after last seeing it some years ago. Later, I checked around the web about this film and found this bit of trivia on Wikipedia: the character of Prince Vultan, played by Brian Blessed, at one point shouts this line - "GORDON'S ALIVE?!" - he is referring to the title character, of course. Well, this line, according to the Wikipedia article on the film,
Quote:
more than 30 years later, remains the most repeated, reused, and recycled quotation from both the film and Blessed's career.
Why this is, it's not explained, but it has become lodged in the collective consciousness of the film's fans and that of many people, becoming a very famous line.
Is it because of KHARTOUM and the death of both the film's version of the General and the real Gordon? :shock: Does that have something to do with it?
Like I said, it's not explained and I don't really know.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:41 am 
Prince Judah

The sci-fi TV show of the sixties called The Time Tunnel often used stock footage from various films because the plots of the episodes usually involved the two heroes going back to some famous point in history. So, if there was a film made by that time (1966 or earlier) which depicted those historical events, the TV producers would acquire the footage from the film and plug it into the appropriate episode. The episode which used stock footage from KHARTOUM (1966) was called "Raiders From Outer Space" and it was probably this episode which benefited most from such stock footage because it was footage of hundreds of extras in spectacular battle scenes, all plugged into a low budget TV episode. One can check it out at Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/13200 Image
The plot of the episode is a little silly because, even though the heroes do drop into 1883 Sudan and it's an accurate depiction of the famous battle and events, the story also throws in alien invaders hiding in a secret base near the battle sites, plotting to wipe out London for some reason. :-? I don't think there is any sign of Heston in this stock footage; he was probably left out on purpose - it would have been too startling and off-kilter to suddenly see him in this episode and there may have been legal reasons too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:31 pm 
Prince Judah

Isn't it a legal concern enough already for what they have used? As far as I know, if someone uses a footage of another movie or video or anything without acknowledging it properly, there would be copyright problems.

I know this Man!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next