Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Julius Caesar 1970
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:58 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

No, not much of a surprise :lol: He is a good actor, at least he can be but doesn't always show it. He could ham it up pretty good when he was younger which is why there's an impersonation of him that has stuck all these years later.

The video must be from the 60's, I don't think that was made after Star Trek.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:41 pm 
Prince Judah

Thank you Knight, for bringing the clippings for comparison. I have mentioned elsewhere that Chuck's Antony is Antony as Shakespeare would have him,(or at least in my reading of Shakespeare, that may be personal) whereas Brando's Antony is 'a good actor doing the role of Antony very well'. The 1970 version is standing the test of time mostly for Chuck's performance, and his brilliant interpretative inputs: think of the spa-scene where Antony and Octavius are planning the politics out while taking massage. That looks like an underworld where Antony the master-shrewd politician presides over like a mafia don. In most film and stage versions, the scene is played out just simply-- in a meeting-room with chairs, or over a table with a map spread over on it. What Chuck's input has done here is an amazing gesture of contemporising Shakespeare, keeping the essence of the characters intact. I also admire and Gielgud's brief but notable contribution, though I agree with you that he looked too old and frail. But well, Caesar had neurotic troubles, he fainted in extreme heat and croud during an assembley, and he though he was powerful and majestic, his physical stamina was not that great-- there are subtle suggestions in Shakespeare's play itself.

The problem for the 1970 version was Brutus-- most critics have commented on that-- and the costume. Trying to experiment with the 'baroque' style of dress, the costume-designed spoiled it all, and chuck was not happy with it at all.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:54 am 
Call Me Harry

Just watched this earlier today and add me to the camp that felt the normally reliable Jason Robards was out of place as Brutus. The rest of the cast was pretty solid; Chuck as usual shows why he was the king of period films and you can definitely feel his passion for Shakespeare in his performance as Antony.

Got stuck with a full screen DVD unfortunately; not only that but it starts & ends in wide screen but the bulk of the film is full screen. ARGH!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:45 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Sounds like you bought the Lions Gate release. Luckily, Olive Films released it in its correct aspect ratio on Blu-ray last year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:52 pm 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
Sounds like you bought the Lions Gate release. Luckily, Olive Films released it in its correct aspect ratio on Blu-ray last year.

Got it off Netflix, actually. Probably gonna take a few days for it to get back to them with all the snow that just hit us here in Baltimore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:33 pm 
El Cid

The VHS video of JULIUS CAESAR looked very mushy and grainy, as did the television screening. I don't own a Blu-ray, but the picture on my dvd is still as mushy as the old video I used to have. What's the quality of the Blu-ray like?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:32 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Fairly good, James. It got a 3.5 out of 5 in picture quality from Blu-ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Julius-Ca ... ray/61258/

It is the first release with decent video quality.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:29 pm 
El Cid

I'd buy a Blu-ray machine if there were enough Heston movies on Blu-ray ... say ... like in the region of 30 or more. Have you any idea how many Heston Blu-ray dvds are available, Thorn?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:38 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

A quick count of the ones available on Blu-ray in the US and UK, it came to 29 titles and you better believe more of them are on their way in the near future.

Did I just cost you a lot of money, James? :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:01 pm 
El Cid

Is it possible to buy a Blu-ray dvd machine that plays normal dvd's as well?