Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Julius Caesar (1950)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 am 
Michelangelo

Mark Anthony's oration after Caesar's assassination (I)

:applause: :cheers:

Post subject: Re: Julius Caesar (1950)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:58 am 
El Cid

Wow, that was terrific. Considering this was a semi-professional movie made by David Bradley in 1949, its in very good shape. Heston had an Epic Presence about him even back then, and did you all spot the young Jeffery Hunter as well?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:15 pm 
Michelangelo

Yeah, the performance of young Heston is wonderful. :applause:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:54 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Amazing what presence and skills he had at such a young age.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 am 
El Cid

Its great that all this movie is now available to view on YouTube. Heston started his career on Broadway opposite Katherine Cornell in ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA, and made numerous visits back to Shakespeare territory in the following years. I used to write to Mr. Heston, and his replies always contained a quote from Shakespeare. He knew THE TEMPEST by heart and recited some of it at the Guildhall when he visited my home town of Lincoln in 1997.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:53 pm 
Michelangelo

Both Julius Caesar (1950) and Julius Caesar (1970) are also available in DVD!

:applause: :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:39 pm 
Prince Judah

The Marlon Brando-version of Mark Antony is also available on Youtube. I grant that he's a powerful actor, too. But whenever I put his Antony side by side with Chuck's Antony, the latter simply stands out ! Brando makes Antony an anti-hero who wants to but cannot be a hero, and Chuck portrays him as a man who could be an anti-hero, but who transcends himself and becomes a hero.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:06 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

It's interesting to note that Marlon Brando received an Oscar nomination for his take on Mark Antony.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:56 pm 
Prince Judah

Yes, because I think they were caught by the impression 'How well Brando shows it!' But the impression I had when watching The Chuck-version was different, 'Ay, this is Shakespeare's Antony indeed! How gracefully this man presents him!" Though there is a general assumption that Mark Antony's genius was 'rebuked' under Caesar, and rose to his own dignity and influential power only after his death. Well, but I feel that Shakespeare from the very beginning tries to show what spark is within the man... surely it can't come down upon Antony , immediately after Caesar's death, from the heavens! In Chuck's version of Antony, I can see that well. When he first appears, ready in his athlete's outfit, waiting with his arms crossed on his chest... it shows what promise he has. Even when Caesar looks for him, he steps forward, and says, "here, my lord", with full respect for Caesar, but not at all compromising his own strong individuality. Now, somebody may well deliver the same words like an obliged employee, but I feel(one may not agree with me) the very curtness of Shakespeare's words for Antony indicates his spirit. Again it's getting long... Perhaps I should start another thread for discussing Chuck's Shakespearian roles?

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:46 am 
Prince Judah

Here's a link to the "SHAKESPEARECAESAR'S CHANNEL" at YouTube, where all the parts of JULIUS CAESAR are conveniently on one page; it's probably the best avenue to view the whole film on the internet: http://www.youtube.com/user/shakespearescaesar/videos

I finally watched the whole film a short while ago on DVD. I was familiar with how the first act was done (filmed around a library, its steps and so on) so I knew what to expect there, but I didn't know how the approach to the later battle scenes would be. I figured, since this was a very low budget ' amateur ' effort, there would be a lot of suggestion and talk of the battle, rather than showing much of anything; I was impressed with the way they (David Bradley and the actors) actually created the battle sequences and the use of location (outdoors, not a movie set) - it came across as a professional film in many respects and must have involved a lot of effort on everyone's part.

If you want to skip ahead to Part 8 and see young Heston in full battle mode - here it is: