Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: James Byrne's meetings with Charlton Heston (incl. pictures)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:30 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James sent me some photos of his meetings with our favorite movie star that I have scanned for him. He has asked me to post the photos here on the forum for all to see. He will add comments to the photos at a later point.

Post subject: Re: James Byrne's meetings with Charlton Heston (incl. pictu
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:31 pm 
El Cid

Lydia and Charlton Heston, 5 August 1997. Larry Wells, the Mayor of Lincoln in 1997, granted the Heston's use of the Mayor's limo, a distinction only reserved for highly important visitors to Lincoln.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
I look back on those memorable two days in 1997, with the Heston's literally on my doorstep (their hotel was a just a few minutes from where I live) and I think If only I'd had http://www.secretoftheincas.co.uk back then - think how much better the site would have been if I had managed to wangle an interview with the Heston's. The likelihood is that they would have snubbed my plea, after all their schedule was very busy and every time they set foot on the streets of Lincoln they were mobbed, which is pretty tiring, but just think how much hidden treasure I could have gleaned from them in that interview. Every single Heston interview I have seen or read only seemed to concentrate on his biggest movies, mainly BEN-HUR, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS or PLANET OF THE APES, and his pre-Moses work never got a look-in.
The director of SECRET OF THE INCAS was Jerry Hopper, and the very first film he directed was a cracking Cold War thriller called THE ATOMIC CITY which starred Mrs Heston herself, Lydia Clarke. I would have really enjoyed talking to Lydia about Jerry Hopper and that wonderful movie, which was the first time that a major film studio was granted permission to film inside Los Alamos, New Mexico, where the atomic bomb was birthed. I would have also asked her what part she played in THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, which is still a mystery to fans of that terrific circus movie. I would have had a field day asking Chuck about the three movies he made with Hopper: PONY EXPRESS, SECRET OF THE INCAS and THE PRIVATE WAR OF MAJOR BENSON. Heston didn't start writing his famous journal until 1956, so I would have concentrated my questions on just his early movies. Talking to Lydia in the Cathedral, I kept wanting to ask her about THE ATOMIC CITY but it seemed inappropriate somehow, and she was really enjoying the splendour of our world-famous Cathedral, which has survived two earthquakes (as had the two Cathedrals he walked past in Cuzco for SECRET OF THE INCAS).
We carried on walking and talking, and as Lydia stopped to snap a picture, I whispered to my sister "There's a sight we'll never see again - Moses walking past two nuns playing chess in Lincoln Cathedral!" I only wish she had taken a photo of that, but the moment was gone in a flash.
Lydia Heston is a lovely lady, but she's far too modest. She couldn't believe that a fan wanted her to sign the huge LOVE LETTERS poster he had just ripped off the wall of the theatre, alongside Chuck's signature, "Oh, you don't want my autograph, surely?" she giggled. Most people in Lincoln were unaware of Lydia's talent as a dramatic actress, she won the New York's Theatre Award in 1950 as the "most promising actress" and appeared on Broadway opposite Ralph Bellamy in DETECTIVE STORY and Eddie Bracken in THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH. Apart from starring in THE ATOMIC CITY she had a bit part in BAD FOR EACH OTHER with her husband, and her last movie appearence was in the classic Heston western WILL PENNY. Lydia is a great photographer and she had just had an exhibition of her work at the Richilieu Room at the Louvre in Paris when she came to Lincoln. She has a wonderful book published on her photographs of the 56 countries she visited, "The Light of the World".

Charlton Heston, 5 August 1997, about to sign my copy of "The Films of Charlton Heston" by Jeff Rovin. I was worried that he might ruin the books spine because he folded the front cover right over. Luckily it was ok!
Four years after performing LOVE LETTERS in Lincoln, the Heston's did the play in September 2001 in Chicago, in which America suffered her most devastating day since the assassination of President Kennedy in 1963. Here is the review from the "Chicago Tribune"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HESTON'S IN MOOD FOR 'LOVE'
Capturing emotional nuances in the script that others miss

September 15, 2001, by Chris Jones.
Requiring only minimal staging and two performers who don't even have to learn any lines, A.R. Gurney's emotive but ubiquitous "Love Letters" has become the contemporary chamber play of choice for anyone either sponsoring a benefit or looking to create a celebrity vehicle that does not need much rehearsal.

So especially for anyone who has sat through countless productions of this show watching either inappropriately cast actors and/or poorly rehearsed star names, it comes as a considerable relief to watch Charlton Heston and his wife, Lydia Clarke Heston, do the thing properly. Heston's outspoken views on guns make him a polarizing figure. This has an undeniable effect on who is willing to come and pay money to see him work, especially in an intimate setting like the new Chicago Center for the Performing Arts (which is a handsome and comfortable addition to this city's roster of theaters).

But while his acting still is best known for its virility, and his voice justly celebrated for its uncanny combination of smooth tones and all-American grit, Heston is capable of great subtlety and emotional vulnerability on stage. Especially now that he is almost 77 years old.

Lydia Clarke Heston (who met her husband while both were freshmen at Northwestern University) has not been seen much professionally in recent decades, but she was a well-respected Broadway actress in the 1940s and clearly still has those chops very much in place.

Unlike many of their predecessors in these roles, the Hestons are just right for their parts in Gurney's slick celebration of hand-written missives, as sent by two old friends over the course of their lives. And, perhaps more important, they have honed their performances with their considerable craft, capturing emotional nuances in the script that others miss.

With his patrician demeanor, bushy eyebrows and slightly distracted sensibility, Heston is entirely believable as a successful senator unable to trash his life for the woman he really loves.

His wife, meanwhile, suggests the elegant, wound-up-tight demeanor of the kind of rich Hollywood lady who whispers over lunch with Dominic Dunne. But Lydia Clarke Heston also has a keen sense of irony and a deft skill with a laugh line. Most important, she exudes repressed feelings and pain, which make the ultimate breakdown of her character, Melissa Gardner, both credible and compelling in the second act of the show.

Playwright Gurney is often criticized for endlessly memorializing and sentimentalizing WASP icons, be they gimmicky dining-room tables or the habit of writing love letters. And indeed, "Love Letters" is a slick and predictably structured work that pushes buttons rather than boundaries and makes few challenging observations.

But especially in these frightening times, there's merit to an evening spent celebrating methods of communication that can last across generations. And this is a rare chance to see two old-school actors master a very small room.

The Hestons are being very generous with their audiences. Following all shows, people can ask questions. And on Thursday night, at least, the couple were perfectly willing to pose for post-show pictures in the lobby.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lydia Heston, Charlton Heston and James Byrne, Minister Yard, Lincoln. 5 August 1997.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were having our tea on 21 June 1997 and the paperboy dropped the local newspaper "The Lincolnshire Echo" through our letterbox. My wife finished her meal and went to get the paper, and sat down next to me. She looked at the front page and said quite matter-of-factly, "Guess what James, Charlton Heston is coming to Lincoln!" I thought she was joking and carried on eating my meal. So she held up the front page to me and I nearly choked on my steak and kidney pie, sure enough the whole page was devoted to Heston's visit. "BEHOLD, MOSES COMETH TO CITY" it blazed, and Lincoln Theatre Royal's publicity manager Richard Kort proudly enthused:
"This is a major coup for the theatre, people are going to be very excited when they hear Moses himself is coming here. This is definitely the biggest name to be in Lincoln that I can remember - probably of all time. He is one of the few people who can honestly be called a legend. Charlton loves acting and I think that is why he wants to come to the Theatre Royal - it's said to be a beautiful place to work in. It is just amazing that we are going to have such an incredible actor here."
I kept reading it over and over again, I couldn't believe that the great Charlton Heston was actually coming to my home town in six weeks. The evening of 4 August 1997 finally arrived and as we were getting ready to go up town to see the performance Heston was featured on our local tv station "Calendar" arriving at the theatre with Lydia, his wife. He was briefly interviewed and said he hadn't heard of Lincoln before but had just been informed of our city's historical past. A group of very obvious professional autograph seekers were also interviewed and they all said that Heston was the most agreeable celebrity that they had encountered to sign autographs.
The "House Full" sign was on display outside the theatre - a rare occurence in Lincoln - and as the Heston's walked on to the stage the whole audience rose to their feet and gave them a thunderous ovation. During the interval my wife and I chatted with some Heston fans who had travelled far and wide to see their movie hero in person. One young chap had come all the way from London and proudly boasted that he was "Heston's number one fan". He told me that he had recently met Fraser Heston in London ("a fantastic bloke!") and seemed quite knowledgable as he discussed Heston's movies. I asked him if he liked SECRET OF THE INCAS. "Is that one of Chuck's films - I've never heard of it?" he stuttered - and I realised that he wasn't such an expert after all. A thirty-something lady showed me her BEN-HUR screenplay, and related how viewing the great biblical epic had made her convert to Judaism. Another young man had made the journey from Leicester and talked enthusiastically about THE OMEGA MAN and SOYLENT GREEN. He was a sci-fi nut and wasn't really interested in Heston's other movies. It was good meeting so many Heston fans in one room and we all met up again in the foyer after the show while Heston was signing copies of "In the Arena". I bought ten copies of the book to be autographed, which made my wife go a funny colour, and as Chuck signed them he was talking to me. I said "You don't even have to look at the book as you're signing it Mr. Heston", to which he grinned "I'm used to it by now, laddie!". I asked him if he could put 'to James' on some of them, but he said if he did it for me then everyone else would want him to and he would be here all night.
One fellow I knew seemed to have a long chat with Chuck and I asked him afterwards what were they talking about. "I have no idea!" he laughed "As soon as Heston began speaking to me I freaked out mentally because I was actually having a conversation with Charlton Heston".

While Heston was signing books in the foyer I overheard the publicity manager Richard Kort tell someone that Heston would be having a photo-opportunity meeting with the local dignateries the next day in the afternoon. So the following day I called at my sister Patricia's house, and told her to quickly pack her camera and we'd get some shots of Heston in Lincoln. She had to get some money at Bailgate Bank and then stopped to talk to someone she knew. After five minutes I was really panicking, "Quick Tricia - Heston will be gone if we don't hurry now!" I pleaded. As it turned out, her talking for five minutes was a blessing in disguise, for as we approached The Magna Carta public house http://www.yell.com/static/image/e2a88b ... 2/m:FitPad a huge limo pulled up outside of the Cathedral. "I bet that's Heston, Tricia - get your camera ready quick!" Sure enough out of the car came the great man himself, accompanied by his lovely wife. He saw Tricia with the camera and said to me "Come, we'll have a photo together". As my sister clicked away I told him that I saw his performance the night before. "I remember you - you bought all those books" and grinned broadly. Heston was recognized straight away and as he tried to enter the Cathedral a crowd milled around him for autographs. My sister and I walked around the Cathedral with the Heston's and Lydia was a delight - a real lovely lady with a great sense of humour. She was really struck with the magnificence of Lincolnshire's most famous church and kept snapping away with her camera as we talked. It was wonderful seeing the faces of people when they recognized Charlton Heston walking towards them unannounced. A middle-aged lady became very excited and gasped "I loved you as Moses and Ben-Hur!" and Chuck made her day by shaking her hand and graciously saying "Thank you kindly".

Charlton Heston and James Byrne, 16 March 1985, London, England.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charlton Heston was appearing at the Queen's Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue, London, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Theatre in March 1985, in THE CAINE MUTINY COURT-MARTIAL and even though I had a big family to support, and the fare to London from Lincoln was very expensive, I thought it was my only chance to meet the great man in person after being a fan since seeing BEN-HUR in 1961. My wife advised me it would be cheaper to ride on a National Express coach instead of travelling by British Rail to London, and she was right, but the journey also took twice as long. I threw a few books I had on Heston into a bag, the wife gave me my packed lunch, and I was off to London to meet Big Chuck. After all that preparation I discovered to my dismay that I had forgotten to load the camera with film, so my first priority when I eventually reached the Stage Door was buy some film from that pharmacy seen in the photo. When the chemist asked for £8 for a roll of film I nearly fainted - three times what it would have cost in Lincoln, but this was a special occasion and I desperately needed film in the camera.
A small gathering of Chuck Heston fans began milling around the Stage Door, all becoming agitated as the minutes kept ticking by to Curtain Call and still no sign of Heston. All the rest of the cast had gone in very early, Ben Cross (who once starred in a movie with CHARIOTS in the title) actually said "thank you" very politely to a lady who took his photograph. With about five minutes to go before Curtain Up we were all panicking that Heston had sneaked into the front entrance to escape all the fans and autograph seekers. One guy from Ealing showed us all his massive collection of photographs of famous actors he had met at the theatre, when somebody shouted "He's here - he's here!"
Around the corner came Big Chuck, wearing shades and a track suit like he did in THE OMEGA MAN. Virtually everybody had a hard-back copy of "The Actor's Life" and Heston signed them all. An overweight Italian lady kept chanting "Why you no make Ben-Hur anymore?" and Heston did his level best to answer her but she persisted with "Why no Ben-Hur anymore ... we want Ben-Hur again!"
A few feet away there was a large group of Italians filming all this - they looked like extras from one of those early 1970's Robert de Niro movies. Somewhere in Italy is a short little film of me meeting Heston in London - and unfortunately I will never see it.
The journey home to Lincoln was memorable, but for all the wrong reasons. It was freezing, dark and miserable on the coach, and the driver dropped me off at the wrong stop. I had to walk for an hour in a blazing blizzard, and was only wearing that light blue suit and a shirt. By the time I arrived home I looked like the Abominable Snowman, and to top it all off one of my Heston books was severely water-damaged, but at least my signed copy of 'The Actor's Life' was okay. The first time I met Charlton Heston was certainly a day I will never forget in a hurry.

Charlton Heston, Tuesday 5 August 1997, Stage Door, Theatre Royal, Lincoln, England.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After signing literally thousands of books, programmes and brochures after his performance in LOVE LETTERS, there was still no respite for Heston when he tried to get into his limo. A spontaneous outpouring of noisy applause, and a 'Three cheers for Charlton Heston' persuaded the great man to sit down on the cold steps at 10.00 pm and sign even more autographs. My wife remarked to me, "Who else would do that for his fans?"

Clearly exhausted from signing thousands of autographs, Mr. Heston finally makes his way into the waiting limo, and heads home to the Hilton Hotel, Brayford Wharf, Lincoln.

I was becoming accustomed to seeing this scene played out for the two days the Heston's stayed in Lincoln. Everywhere he went the autograph hunters were waiting, and he signed every time!

Lydia Heston, Charlton Heston, James Byrne, 5 August 1997, outside Lincoln Cathedral. The lady behind me with the gray hair and black jacket followed me for two days when Heston was in Lincoln. "Are you stalking me?" I half-joked to her. "I knew if I followed you that I would get to meet Charlton Heston!" she said, without embarrassment. She gave her name as "Shirley."

James Byrne and Charlton Heston, 16 March 1985, London, England.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just wished Chuck 'Happy Anniversary for tomorrow' - the Heston's would be celebrating their 41st wedding anniversary in London. He then signed my copy of 'The Actor's Life'. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 88,4683319 has a fine article on the Heston's play in which Lydia jokes why Chuck chose St. Patrick's Day as their wedding day.

Lydia and Charlton Heston, Tuesday 5 August 1997, Minister Yard, Lincoln.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Lincoln Tour bus has just pulled up outside Lincoln Cathedral and the packed coach whooped with joy when they saw the Heston's. Chuck gave them a big wave. The houses behind the Heston's were the very first properties in England to have house numbers.

As soon as Heston's appearence was announced in the 'Lincolnshire Echo' every ticket was sold in a matter of days.
Heston loved doing the play with Lydia, and their son Fraser filmed it for posterity when they appeared in London's West End. Interviewed in London, Chuck said
"It's a very unusual piece. It's a two-hander, it consists of two people - a man and a woman - sitting side by side at a desk, reading letters they have written to each other starting when they're eight years old until they're in their 60s. I know of few pieces that are as funny as this is and at the same time as heartbreaking, it's a marvellous piece of work."
Heston has played his role opposite other actresses in the past, but - unsurprisingly - he says his wife Lydia is the best. "She was born for it," he adds.

Its not often that the 'House Full' boards were on display outside the Theatre Royal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_Royal,_Lincoln but Chuck and Lydia Heston sold out for both performances. You can read more about the Heston's in Lincoln on my website here-
http://www.secretoftheincas.co.uk/page23.html
Here is a review when the Heston's played Chicago.
-------------------------------------------------------
Love Letters
By Jack Helbig
Charlton Heston may have performed plenty of schlocky larger-than-life roles in Hollywood--Ben-Hur, Moses, John the Baptist--and may be best known these days as a rifle-raising NRA spokesman. But none of this has impaired his ability as an actor. From the moment he walks onstage in this touring production of A.R. Gurney's Love Letters, remarkably fit and energetic for 76, he takes command of the room. And he finds hidden depths, moments of pathos, flashes of insight in Gurney's flyweight play about two friends who spend their lives writing to each other. Heston plays a typical Gurney male--white, Anglo-Saxon, emotionally repressed--and plays him to the hilt. Still, we see glimmers of the man who hurts and grieves beneath his carefully tailored three-piece armor. I'm sure it helps Heston's performance to be paired with his wife of 56 years, Lydia Clarke Heston, who plays his unstable artist correspondent: the two perform together with remarkable ease and chemistry. But it's also true that Heston can communicate more by clearing his throat or squinting than many performers do with long speeches or elaborate body language. I once heard someone say that the measure of an actor is whether he's able to overcome a weak script. By this standard, Heston is a master: in his hands Love Letters is a rich, moving experience. Chicago Center for the Performing Arts, 777 N. Green, 312-327-2000. Through September 23: Thursdays, 7:30 PM; Fridays, 8 PM; Saturdays, 5 and 9 PM; Sundays, 2 PM. $55-$65.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote a letter to my local newspaper after Charlton Heston sadly died.

The 'Lincolnshire Echo' obituary of Charlton Heston.

Here is a moving tribute to Mr Heston that also mentions the LOVE LETTERS play.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Acquaintances recall Heston’s contributions to Asheville Community Theatre, by Tony Kiss.
April 8, 2008, "Asheville Citizen-Times".

He went on to become an Oscar-winning actor, and one of the most famous names
and faces in Hollywood, but David Bailey remembers Charlton “Chuck” Heston as the
young, energetic director of Asheville Community Theatre.
“I knew he was going places,” said Bailey, who befriended Heston and his wife, Lydia,
while Bailey was working as a reporter and editor at the old Asheville Times
newspaper after World War II.
“They had no money, and they had no car,” Bailey remembered. “I had no car either,
but I would borrow my mother’s car, and give them rides. I found him a great guy.”
Heston, star of such films as “The Ten Commandments,” “Ben Hur” and “Planet of the
Apes,” died Saturday night at 84. He had been out of the public eye in recent years
after disclosing that he had symptoms consistent with Alzheimer’s disease.
The Hestons came to Asheville in January 1947, hired to be directors of the then-new
Asheville Community Theatre. They were quickly embraced by the community, as they
directed and performed in such shows as “The Male Animal” and the first amateur
production of “The Glass Menagerie.”
Offered a contract by the theater, the Hestons instead chose to head to New York,
where he quickly found fame on the stage, then in live television and finally in film in
Hollywood.
In 1992, the Hestons returned to Asheville to perform the two-character play “Love
Letters,” as a fundraiser for Asheville Community Theatre. The two performances of
“Love Letters” were sold out and the couple were greeted with thunderous applause
and cheers when walking on stage.
“As soon as he got here, there were people wanting autographs, and he was
unfailingly accommodating,” said Ralph Redpath, who was the ACT director during
Heston’s visit. “He said, ‘These are the people who make you a star, you owe them
that.’” In appreciation, the ACT auditorium was named in Heston’s honor.
Heston’s return “really gave a focus to the theater,” said Deborah Austin, who with
Redpath and Kevin McKee, helped arranged Heston’s 1992 return. “It was just a
feather in Asheville’s cap".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image[/quote]

To get some publicity for my SECRET OF THE INCAS website I popped in to the offices of my local newspaper, "Lincolnshire Echo", on Saturday 7 June 2008 armed with a folder on the site and enquired if I could see the editor. I was diverted to a young Scottish reporter who had actually heard of SECRET OF THE INCAS, "That's the film that inspired Indiana Jones!", which really surprised me, him knowing that and being so young. He asked me a hundred questions while taking notes and was most impressed that I been to Machu Picchu and had met Charlton Heston. However, at the end of the interview he gave me what I thought was the brush-off, "Ok Mr Byrne, nice meeting you, if we have enough space we might put in an article", and I went home thinking that was it. Two hours later I received a "Please contact us at once!" email from the newspaper - the editor had viewed my website and he was very interested in doing a feature. I was told to get to the Echo offices pronto for a photo call and to answer some more questions. Later, another message telling me to email all my photos of my trip to Peru, and any photos of me and Charlton Heston. The next day, Sunday, there were two more emails requiring additional information confirming certain facts, and I was asked to name as many similarities between Indiana Jones and the Heston movie as I could. I became very excited after all this intense interest and thought the story was going to be a four-page spread, with loads of colour photos. I couldn't wait for Monday's edition of the "Echo" to come out, and raced down to the newsagents and bought four copies. As I flicked through the pages there was no sign of a big spread, only a half-page article with the curious headline "Indiana Jones and the Charlton Heston film". When I read all the inaccuracies in the article, together with the disappointing size of it, I wondered why I had bothered in the first place. To make my disappointment complete the "Echo" published just about the only photo of Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in which he resembles Harry Steele the least. I have thousands of photos of Heston as Harry Steele in which he is the mirror image of Indiana Jones - why didn't the newspaper show a photo of Ford in his leather jacket? after all, the whole article was supposed to be about the great similarities between the Heston film and the Indy series. Missing from the above scan is the sidebar to the original piece in the paper. This is what it contained:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAME GEAR, SAME HAT, SAME DINGHY!
The Indiana Jones films follows the exploits of an archaeologist played by Harrison Ford, on his adventures around the world looking for lost relics.
In SECRET OF THE INCAS Heston plays Harry Steele, a ladies man who ploughs through the jungles of South America, discovering Inca tombs and plunders the treasures of Peru.
According to Mr. Byrne, similarities between SECRET OF THE INCAS and the Indiana Jones movies include:
* Both Indiana Jones and Harry Steele were educated at Yale, and both were handsome daredevil explorers and respected archaeologists.
* Both characters wear a brown snap fedora, a brown leather diesel jacket, tan chinos and leather boots, have stubble a kit bag and a gun holster.
* Steele uses a light reflection trick to discover the whereabouts of the Inca treasure which is exactly what Indiana Jones does in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.
* Harrison Ford wears exactly the same costume as Charlton Heston in all the films.
* The ending of TEMPLE OF DOOM when he returns the antiquity to the natives, is exactly the same as the ending in INCAS.
* Spielberg used the old 1950's Paramount logo at the start of RAIDERS OFTHE LOST ARK, which had been dropped for years - the same logo as INCAS.
* The silhouette of Indiana Jones against the mountain at the beginning of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK looks like Heston at Machu Picchu in SECRET OF THE INCAS.
* The opening sequence in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, Indiana Jones trekking through the Peruvian jungle with the Quechua Indians "could be a scene from INCAS".
* Indiana in the yellow dinghy sequence in the second film is virtually identical to Heston in a yellow dinghy on the Urumbamba river sequence in SECRET OF THE INCAS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was very angry that the reporter misquoted a lot of my emails to him. I never said that "Harry Steele was educated at Yale", what I said was Harry Steele was modeled on Hiram Bingham (who was educated at Yale) and that the Yale educated Indiana Jones was based on Harry Steele, which is completely different to what the "Echo" printed!

Last edited by James Byrne on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 22 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:34 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Thanks for all the informative texts, James. Loved reading all that. I'm sorry I missed scanning the sidebar, I must have totally missed it since the clipping was folded.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:12 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Cool stuff. I haven't thought about Heston's theater work much, but now that I think about it, it would have been extremely awesome to see him on stage.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:54 am 
Prince Judah

AWESOME. That's only one word to describe everything, the man, the photos, the descriptions and the golden memories. And just a "Thank you" won't do, so let me borrow it from Shakespeare, "More is thy due than more than we can pay".

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:39 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

James!!! How wonderful! How blessed you are to have actually met Mr. Heston! I am envious is such a good way for you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, for sharing your wonderful photos and wonderful and touching insight to this amazing man that we all honor so much! I never got to meet him, but did write to him a few times to ask him to sign a few of his books for me. He always sent a short kind letter with an autographed book plate for me. He even sent me a lovely autographed photo. What a kind and wonderful man! He was, and still is, the perfect example of how actors SHOULD present themselves.

I love your website, www.secretoftheincas.co.uk! I have the radio recording (on a CD) of the movie, but have seen the movie. I keep hoping that someday someone will release it on DVD here in the States. Thank you for keeping this movie in our minds, so it is not forgotten. Again...thank you so much for sharing these lovely wonderful photos and comments with us.

Thank you, Thorn, for having this wonderful website. I may not post as often as I would like, but I do love this forum! Thank you for letting me be a part of it.

And...to itsjudah24, thank you for the perfect quote from Shakespeare! I don't believe any other words would have been as perfect. I'm sure he would have appreciated it.
:heart:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:06 pm 
No Water For Me

Awww! Such nice photos of the Heston's. Thanx so much for these!
Your excitement surely shows thru in your texts about each one! :applause: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:58 am 
Astronaut

Enjoyed everything. Many thanks to Mr. Byrne, and we are proud to have him as a fellow-member.

285 views in 3 days... I hope this thread will beat the SOTI thread itself, in the rate of progression.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:03 am 
No Water For Me

This was just fantastic to share with us all. I think the most important item here is that Chuck was human and a good dude, all around never looked at himself as some super star, no just doing his job and not ever getting it quite "right". Mr. Heston you did it right every time, and thanks for this insight into his true humbleness and his love for London being English and Scot have one on me up there my man. :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:58 am 
Michelangelo

Thanks to Mr. Byrne for sharing the nice photos and his wondering insight to Heston! :thumbsup: :applause:
Also thanks to Thorn's scanning the photos and Mr. Byrne's comments to make this presentation happened.

:wave: :cheers: