Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: James Byrne's meetings with Charlton Heston (incl. pictu
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:29 pm 
El Cid

I want to thank all of you for those wonderful responses to my saga of "The days I met Chuck".

Thorn, you are a true gent for scanning the photos for me, and thank you for starting this terrific forum in honour of the great Charlton Heston. Don't worry about missing the sidebar off, it was easily missed (I probably folded it too well!) I only wish I could have sent you my 'Heston in Lincoln' album, but its so priceless I daren't send that through the post just in case it was lost. It is full of beautiful professional photos of Heston's visit in Lincoln which I bought from the local newspapers. My sister Tricia took loads more photos but they are glued in the album. I also have the autographed programme, the tickets from the show and loads of newspaper clippings in it.

CrowMagnumMan, your use of the adjective "awesome" was spot on. It was a sensational moment when the Heston's walked on to the stage, the whole audience went hysterical with joy and Chuck had to wave his hand at us to stop applauding and cheering so they could begin the show. Heston wrote to me afterwards and said that the Lincoln audiences were the most enthusiastic of the whole tour, and how warm and friendly we all were to him and his wife.

Judah, I wish Charlton Heston had toured India, you and Chuck would have a great time discussing our Billy Shakespeare together. Every single letter that Heston wrote to me included one of the great Bard's quotes, and I loved your Shakespeare quote - absolutely brilliant!

Ladyhawke, what a lovely message from a nice lady. God bless you for those uplifting comments. Regarding a dvd release of SECRET OF THE INCAS I am afraid it is never going to happen - and is apparently final. Olive Films have rejected the release because they claim the movie has "poor film elements" which I think is ridiculous. I have bought 6 different copies of the film from sellers on the net and three of them were virtually pristine!

I would also like to thank Dianna, Tizzyd, MickDunn007 and CHfan for their most welcome praise and good wishes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:49 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Thorn, you are a true gent for scanning the photos for me, and thank you for starting this terrific forum in honour of the great Charlton Heston. Don't worry about missing the sidebar off, it was easily missed (I probably folded it too well!) I only wish I could have sent you my 'Heston in Lincoln' album, but its so priceless I daren't send that through the post just in case it was lost. It is full of beautiful professional photos of Heston's visit in Lincoln which I bought from the local newspapers. My sister Tricia took loads more photos but they are glued in the album. I also have the autographed programme, the tickets from the show and loads of newspaper clippings in it.

It was my pleasure, James. That Heston in Lincoln album sounds like a treasure and surely understand you weren't willing to send that one as well, I wouldn't dare that myself.

James Byrne wrote:
Regarding a dvd release of SECRET OF THE INCAS I am afraid it is never going to happen - and is apparently final. Olive Films have rejected the release because they claim the movie has "poor film elements" which I think is ridiculous. I have bought 6 different copies of the film from sellers on the net and three of them were virtually pristine!

What?! :o That's the first I've heard of it. Took a quick glimpse at the SOTI bord on IMDb but didn't find any info there, did you personally get this info from Olive Films? I hope it's a load of crap on their part, because I keep hoping someone will release it one day. I refuse to believe it's impossible to fix it for a DVD release at least, doesn't even have to be in perfect shape as long as we get a legitimate release to add to our collections.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:52 pm 
El Cid

I advertised my meeting Chuck on the IMDb and got an amusing response from the SECRET OF THE INCAS regulars.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary Overman
I didn't know that you met Moses, Mr B. That must have been quite a time for you. You're very fortunate.

HighClassHaddock
I enjoyed the story of you meeting Mr. Heston, James, and I think you looked like Bruce Springsteen on one of the photos. Thank you for showing them, it must have been marvellous to meet Harry Steele in person.

Hugh O'Brien
Nice pix, James, as the old tabloids here would say.
I must say that "Chuck" looked a bit grim in many of the photos, presumably his usual response to seeing you rounding the corner with something else for him to sign.
"God-damn you, Byrne! God-damn you, sir, to hell! Go forth and proclaim across the shire, that you shall surely let that camera go!"
I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. Meeting Charlton Heston, in 1985 and 1997! Wow. Your prayers were answered; you were twice blessed. And if any actor was practiced in answering prayers and offering blessings....
Now, I do have a question about a couple of things you wrote in your piece about Mr. H. in the Lincolnshire Daily Planet after his passing.
You wrote Chuck had played, among other notables, Buffalo Bill, Brigham Young and Thomas Jefferson. When and in what? Never in the movies, I think, but refresh my memory.
You also wrote that he had appeared in five different genres of films. Five? How did you come by that number? Granted that some films can be characterized differently, or in multiple ways, but still I say, many more categories: dramas; action/adventure; Biblical films; historical epics; comedies; westerns; war films; disaster movies; science fiction; costume pictures; swashbucklers; crime films; romantic dramas; classical roles; literary adaptations; and several other terms that could characterize his films in whole or in part. I just don't think his work can be so easily described or rigidly quantified.
However, these quibbles aside, your sharing these pictures and articles and their background with us is not only yet another act typical of your generosity, but proof once again of why you stand as our revered friend and leader in all things Hestonian -- starting with SOTI.
And in truth, I do hope when you met him he said, "Call me Chuck."
Right after, "Get your stinking paws off my wife!"

OswaldshotKennedy
James, I liked the great pix and stories of you meeting the Man of Steele. Couldn't help but notice that you have lost a bit of weight (not to mention hair) in the last few years. I bet you bent Chuck's ear about "Secret of the Incas" though!

Hugh O'Brien
"Man of Steele"! I guess my "Lincolnshire Daily Planet" remark wasn't so far off base after all.
But I agree, Os, I too thought Chuck's ear looked a bit bent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:48 am 
El Cid

LOVE LETTERS, the play Heston did with his wife in Britain in 1997 and 1999, was a favourite of Chuck's in his later career. He even did it 22 years ago to the day with his COLBY's screen wife Stephanie Beacham.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nice-Vintage- ... 2c6a1a51b3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:28 am 
El Cid

Hi Thorn
I got the information about the non-release of a SECRET OF THE INCAS dvd from here-

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/3 ... ms/page-83

That guy MisterLime has got me befuddled though. He has declared that "SECRET OF THE INCAS" was dropped because of "Poor Film Elements", but underneath that he has written "Both of these will be later released" so I am really confused.

Last edited by James Byrne on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:45 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

He was quoted about it being a later release from an older post of his, it seems. I think the poor elements comment is the most recent one, which is a damn shame. I refuse to believe the elements is in such poor shape it won't be good enough to make a DVD out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:07 pm 
El Cid

There must be a decent master tape somewhere, the print shown on C5 in England was a beauty, so I, too, refuse to believe that excuse about poor film elements.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:55 pm 
El Cid

It was very exciting to have my favourite movie star Charlton Heston visit my home-town and birthplace in 1997; but just imagine if Big Chuck visited your home!
Here is an interesting little story about Heston visiting Swindon, Wiltshire, UK, in 1968.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news ... o_swindon/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:18 pm 
El Cid

One of my work mates saw this photo of myself and Chuck and he reckoned it was very similar to the famous photo of John Lennon signing his autograph for Mark Chapman. What do you think to that, then - can you see any similarity?

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/john-le ... er-8-1980/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:03 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

:lol: Not sure about that one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next