Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Italian version of Will Penny
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm 
No Water For Me

I am a longtime fan of american movies and when I was in my teeen saw on tv lots of interesting films on tv...now only if you pay yoget something.
Some of Mr H film of cross60/70 were my favourite and I stored in my momory Will Penny, who reappered years later witjh internet and amazon ecc ecc and the possibility to buy DVD.
Since my husband is in Hospital for some time I had time to see new DVD on my own with english voices and subtitles...so I saw WillPenny....twice...I read before of its ending and the parting of Will and Mrs Allen, but somethign was not so ok with me...just a feeling...
I did not give this feeling much importance but I decided to replay 2 scenes with italian voices cause I missed 2 or 3 words that were spoken, the second scene was the parting one and big great surprise...the italian voices gives a big new meaning to the scene: whwn Will says it's too late it's too late for me I hear instead: we must let winter pass, to see if I am the right man for you....and he parts from her with a "See you in spring" and while he jumps on his horse he says Alex " I'll be back in spring"
it seems quite logical conclusion, maybe better than the simply parting one: He wants her to think about them, he want to gets his mobney and nmeanwhile gives her his flatiron pay to survive the winter, let's remember she is a married woman and he does not want to break the family...he has demonstrated he can be a man phisically with a woman (the ***** in Alfred) but he needs time to evaluate his mental and psicological mainliness with Kath!

Post subject: Re: Italian version of Will Penny
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:04 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Wow, that's pretty shocking to me. I had no idea countries sometimes actually change the plot, or meaning of a scene. I think it's disrespectful to the director, writer, the whole bunch behind the movie who ended it in a certain way because that's how they wanted it to end. Some Italians who have only seen the dubbed version now believes it had a somewhat happy ending, with Will coming back to her and the button. Truth is, he won't, and that's one of the things that made this movie so powerful.

Welcome to the forum, ar-men15!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:19 am 
No Water For Me

Believe me, it is the first time I am really sure of this change, before I never bought so many english dvd and my english knowledge is good so I can see them in original version.
we all italians knows Will will be back, and IMPO this is more powerful than the original ending because it is more uncertain and mixed with the different emotions they can felle.,...it is sorto of logical period of try...he will see if he can survive like before another winter: now that he has experienced another kind of life memories will be more painful and desire more strong...and temptation to change can aise higher . Mrs Allen will stay some month in Flatiron and can have time to think about her fimily and life....
unfortunately I cannot change the feeling and the memories the italian ending gave to me, it's part of my past cause WP come out of my memory 1 yr ago when I tried to buy the first dvd and got some old films of my teen or university years....
you see, John Book & Rachel had to part, and Mrs Kenton did not returned to Darlington Hall, and Jack Twist died in the end....(this film is more recent, I know) ...so if you think a little about this version, Will says they must pass the winter, to see if he is the right men for Mrs Allen, he does not say he is the right man, he left a possibilty open ...thanks a lot

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:07 pm 
Astronaut

The ending of the original movie is sad, and it's more to my heart because "our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought". If Will comes back , the impact of the end and the appeal of the song 'the lonely rider' will be weakened a lot. And that's not what we expect from the movie. So, the change of the ending is somewhat uncomfortable for us... but well, it's always interesting to know what other countries and other versions would like to see or believe.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:40 am 
No Water For Me

I respect what you write, the fact is that now with availabilty of dvd in different languages I see lots of differences in translations, I do not know if only italian versions have this differences because I know 2 languages only so well to compare, I tried Will Penny in french and it is like the english version, maybe we italians are more optimistic? For me, this film will have Always a double possbile end....

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:56 pm 
Prince Judah

It is hard for me also to imagine anything other than the sad ending, which made the movie so appealing. But yeah... you Italians are much optimistic. The Italian critics were the first to introduce a mixture of the comic and the tragic, and it was Michaelangelo's fierce optimism that led him to finish the Sistine roof finally.

I would like to know what you feel about Chuck's portrayal of the great Italian painter, in the thread for THE AGONY AND THE ECSTACY.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:07 am 
No Water For Me

well not all italians are the same, I'm from the very northern part and we are considered more similar to the people on the northern side of alps, germans and frenchs, not "pizza and spaghetti people".....
but IMO the translation of the end of Will Penny is not so optimistic as you may think, it gives simply a possibility, not a sure thing. the sense is Will wants Catherine to think about all the situation well before leaving for good her husband and Will wants to tr yif he can bear again his hard life now he know what is the alternative.
I read the original book the agony and ectasy when I was very Young, long before seing the film...I remember I liked a lot the book and was sorry the film was only about some years of the life of the artist. I saw the Pietàs, the Sistine, Michelangelo was a great man and Heston was tormented enough in the film. The book has no hints about the sexual orientation of the artist so the film goes same way (maybe if they made it now it would be different) . If this post is in the wrong place, I wrote it here only to asnwer he previous post. sorry.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:30 pm 
Prince Judah

Did you read the book in English or in Italian translation? Yeah, the movie covers only some years of Michaelangelo's life. But that's the thing. The whole dynamic life of such an iconic artist could not be incorporated within the scope of a 2-and-half hour movie, so they were wise to choose the most significant years.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:40 am 
No Water For Me

I read it in italian, found it in my uncle's books....I was and still am and avid reader.... I had the joy to see lots of works of the artist (it's maybe one of the privileges of being Italian) and my fav is Pietà Rondanini, in the Milan Castle, near my hometown