Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Imagined Situations:Roles Chuck could have done
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 am 
Prince Judah

Here's a call to run wild with your imagination. If you feel from your reading of literature, of history, of knowing some extraordinary event in real life which could be made into a movie and Chuck could be the hero in it, please do post them here. You can also give your opinions of other movies actually made, with other actors in the lead, if you feel that Chuck should have given that role.

I am putting a list based on my fantasy:

1. Chuck had not done any Greek tragedy. That was not in fashion in the Hollywood of his time, but I would like to see him as a Greek hero even on stage. The role of Orestes seems fitting for a young Chuck.

2. How wonderful it would have been if he collaborated once again with Orson Welles, in a Shakespeare adaptation! My favourite would have been Othello, with Welles himself doing Iago while directing as well. Sir Laurence as Brabantio. Can't picture Chuck as Othello? Come on, it's the greatest achievement for an actor to impersonate the character which he is not at all.

3. The late '60s or early '70s Chuck would have done great in the role of Michael Henchard in Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge.

4. An adventure movie based on the life of Captain Cook, with Chuck in the lead role.

5. A somewhat older Chuck in a Hemingway role --- Santiago from THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA.

I know this Man!

Post subject: Re: Imagined Situations:Roles Chuck could have done
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 am 
Prince Judah

My idea isn't as classical or sophisticated as what is mentioned above - but I was thinking sometime ago what if Heston took over the famous role of Tarzan on screen, early in his career. This would be in 1951 - in this scenario, screen Tarzan Lex Barker broke his leg or something similar during his latest stint as the famous apeman and was unable to continue. Producers gazed around at potential replacements and found Chuck Heston, fresh off his debut in DARK CITY. He seemed ideal for the role of Lord Greystoke, born from nobility but raised as a savage in the jungle (think of Heston in The SAVAGE, just with darker hair).
LO! A New Legend is Born...! :ddape:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:54 pm 
El Cid

That's a mean right hook that Chuck is throwing, just above the ape's solar plexus!

I wish Heston had really made this movie ... his first with the great Woody Strode.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:22 pm 
Prince Judah

James Byrne wrote:
That's a mean right hook that Chuck is throwing, just above the ape's solar plexus!

I wish Heston had really made this movie ... his first with the great Woody Strode.

Yes, I included Strode because he actually was already acting in small films at this time (1951), such as in a Bomba the Jungle Boy feature The Lion Hunters. He was usually cast as African warriors during this period.

Now that you mention Chuck's right hook, on 2nd glance it almost looks like Tarzan is plunging a knife into the big ape's solar plexus. I doubt such violence was allowed to be depicted back then (the painting is from the sixties). The painting also looks as it might have been retouched - changed - so that the knife was removed, because even with such a strong man as Tarzan, it's hard to believe that the huge ape would be knocked back as he is by the punch of a man. But, maybe Tarzan knew just how to hit those giant apes. :ddape:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:26 am 
Prince Judah

Hmmm... ,I was having a feeling that our Knight will appear with some kind of Apish imagination, but never thought that it would be Tarzan! Great, Lord of the Druids!

As for the picture, it must be the knife that is later covered, for the story goes so. Tarzan was just an young adult when he killed that head ape, (what's his name?... I read it as a child) and obviously was not a match in physical strength. The original story makes it clear what made the difference in the fight between an ape and an apeman --- the knife, the rational ability to use a weapon.

By the way, the painting is wonderful, if you retouched it to make the figure's look like that of young Chuck.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:34 am 
Astronaut

How about Heston as Gandalf in 'Lord of the Rings'?

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:08 am 
Prince Judah

tizzyd wrote:

Yeah, that's a good one.
It's unfortunate, in some ways, that the Lord of the Rings films weren't made until 2001, when Chuck was a bit too old. Now, if they had been done a decade earlier - 1991 - then Chuck would have been a great choice for Gandalf. In fact, it would have been a great follow-up to his Long John Silver in Treasure Island only the year before.
___________ Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:23 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

tizzyd wrote:

I like this idea! Would have been great for his career, too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:02 pm 
Prince Judah

I remember that we were discussing THE AVANGERS in the Saloon(or in the Off-topic section?) casting Chuck as Thor. But Gandalf is even more interesting.

Is it possible to imagine Chuck as Abraham Lincoln? Just look at this--

ImageImage

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:27 am 
El Cid

itsjudah24 wrote:
Is it possible to imagine Chuck as Abraham Lincoln? Just look at this--

ImageImage

Hey - thats a great likeness. Well done Judah!