Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Heston vs. Brando - Film Career Comparison
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:49 am 
Astronaut

I remember that annecdote from In the Arena where all the Hollywoody-supporters of the Civil Rights march assembled at Heston's house for a meeting, and Brando proposed with great passion and enthusiasm that they will lie down on the road, stop the transport, chain themselves to the Lincoln statue and so on. Great passion-- but what was the calm and cool Host's reply? "We aren't going to do no such things". The March for him was so serious that he didn't want to affect it with any show-business and dramatic outburst, whereas Brando wanted it that way. Both attitudes are genuine and admirable, but look at the difference in personality.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:40 am 
El Cid

Hey, how could I forget to add this to the Heston-Brando debate. Fraser Heston told me that he used the H.M.S. Bounty, provided by Ted Turner who got it from MGM, for his version of TREASURE ISLAND - which was used for Brando's MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY. That leads to another slight connection, Clark Gable starred in CALL OF THE WILD and MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, which were both remade starring Heston and Brando.

This is one of the most enjoyable threads on the Charlton Heston Forum, and I would love our very talented friend Chrysagon to put the icing on the cake and add some applicable stills to all the info he has amassed. I enjoy the visual style of your posts Chrysagon - and if you visually update your original post with loads of photos it would be a real classic, not to mention a feast to the eyes!

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:08 pm 
Prince Judah

Hope he will respond soon, in his own usual style.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:34 am 
El Cid

Maybe Chrysagon is working on it, Judah ... hope so, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:18 pm 
Prince Judah

When I first read of James Byrne's suggestion, my first thought was, no - too much; can't do it. But, the more I thought of it, the more intrigued I became of the concept. :idea: The entire Brando-Heston comparison has been thought-provoking to me for some time and to redo it as a 'Deluxe' version offers great possibilities. (also, there have been other suggestions, such as a Heston/Gregory Peck comparison, but when I thought about how I would do it, I just couldn't make it work in my head; the key with the Brando/Heston comparison is that they began in film at the same time; then they had very similar points in their careers and interesting divergences; this wouldn't work with just any other actors).

In any case, this would be a massive undertaking - if it's done right (which is the only way I can do it). So I need to set aside an entire day or do it in bits and pieces; either way, it will take a bit of time. :comegetsome:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:11 am 
El Cid

Good man Chrysagon ... I for one am really looking forward to it.

Another Heston - Brando titbit. As you said, both made their film debuts in 1950, and .... Jack Webb was in both DARK CITY and THE MEN.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:03 pm 
Prince Judah

James Byrne wrote:
Another Heston - Brando titbit. As you said, both made their film debuts in 1950, and .... Jack Webb was in both DARK CITY and THE MEN.

Very True, James - you pick up these details in a manner similar to my own, but I beat you to it on this one: I added the note about Jack Webb to the last version of the Brando/Heston comparison back in May (you can tell by the notation at the bottom of the post where it states the last time I edited it). 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:55 am 
Prince Judah

________ HESTON! BRANDO! Two Titans of Cinema! --- They Could Not Be More Different... and yet...
ImageImage

And Yet, Their Film careers began at virtually the same time and have startling similarities! By Chance? By Design?
_____ By the Capricious Whims of Fate or the Workings of a Grand Cosmic Plan? Who Can Know?
________________ Heston - born October 4, 1923; Brando - born April 3, 1924
    ___ ImageImage
1950: Brando's film debut in the small b&w The Men; Heston's 1st pro film, a small b&w noir Dark City
____ ImageImage
__ Brando plays a paraplegic, his body damaged; Heston's character is fine physically but ethically challenged
- actor Jack Webb co-stars in both films ImageImage

1951: Brando becomes a big star in A Streetcar Named Desire; Heston appears in a few TV roles for Studio One
_____ Image Image
:arrow: :arrow: Brando is electrifying in Streetcar...; Heston stars in A Bolt of Lightning on Studio One

1952: Brando plays a Mexican revolutionary rebel in Viva Zapata! > Image
_____ Heston plays The Savage rebel and becomes a star in DeMille's Greatest Show on Earth
_____ Image _____ Image

1953: Brando plays Antony in Julius Caesar and a biker outlaw in The Wild One, fighting other bikers
_____ Image Image
_____ Heston plays Andrew Jackson in The President's Lady and fights Indians in a couple of westerns :cowboy1:
_____ Image Image
_____ Brando fights Lee Marvin in The Wild One, but with minor injuries; Heston fights Jack Palance
_____ to the death in Arrowhead; Marvin & Palance later starred together in Monte Walsh (1970)

1954: Brando wins his 1st Oscar as Terry for On the Waterfront and plays Napoleon in Désirée
_____ ImageImage
_____ Heston plays a Napoleon of the Amazon in The Naked Jungle and wins cult fame as Harry in Secret of the Incas :harrysteele:
_____ Image Image

1955: Brando tries his hand at a musical comedy in Guys and Dolls with Sinatra and Jean Simmons;
_____ Heston tries his hand at comedy in The Private War of Major Benson with ...actresses as nuns
_____ Image Image
_____ Jean Simmons had already starred with Brando in Désirée ; she would go on to The Big Country (58) with Heston

1956: Brando plays a Japanese interpreter for his people in The Teahouse of the August Moon
_____ Image
_____ Heston plays Moses in the huge The Ten Commandments and becomes a big star
_____ ImageImage

1956-1957: Heston stars as Capt. Colt in Three Violent People, co-starring Anne Baxter
__________ Brando stars as a Major in Sayonara, co-starring Martha Scott
__________ ImageImage

1958: Brando plays a German soldier in the b&w war film The Young Lions, with Maximilian Schell
_____ Image
_____ Heston plays a Mexican detective in the b&w crime noir Touch of Evil, with Orson Welles
_____ Image

1959: Brando plays a drifter in the small b&w film The Fugitive Kind (he'd turned down the Ben-Hur role);
_____ Image Image
_____ Heston is in the biggest film of the year, Ben-Hur, wins an Oscar and becomes an epic superstar
_____ Image Image

1961: Brando stars in and directs the epic western One-Eyed Jacks, he plays crook Rio;
_____ Heston stars in the epic El Cid as Rodrigo; it out-grosses One-Eyed Jacks several times over :elcid:
_____ ImageImage
------ and if it appears that The Cid is defending himself from Brando's gunfire - I did plan it that way ;)

1962: Brando stars in the epic Mutiny on the Bounty; Clark Gable starred in an earlier version...
_____ Image
_____ Heston returns to comedy in The Pigeon That Took Rome; but, Brando is only
_____ a 1st Lieutenant in his film under Capt. Bligh, while Heston plays a Captain in his film
_____ Image

1963: Brando plays an ambassador in The Ugly American, about a civil war in a foreign land
_____ ImageImage
_____ Heston plays a soldier helping an ambassador in 55 Days at Peking, during civil war in China
_____ ImageImage
_____ David Niven would return next year to star with Brando in a comedy, Bedtime Story

Heston & Brando campaign for Civil Rights with Martin Luther King in Washington DC
Image Image
_____ Image Image

1964-1965: Brando stars in the comedy Bedtime Story; Heston plays John the Baptist,
__________ a small role in the epic The Greatest Story Ever Told
__ ImageImage

1965: Brando again plays a German during the big war in Morituri, also starring Yul Brynner (The King and I);
_____ Heston plays a big War Lord and an Italian in The Agony and the Ecstasy, also starring Rex Harrison (Anna & the King of Siam 1946)
ImageImage
Heston is aided by Richard Boone in The War Lord; Boone remains loyal to the very end in this film...
Boone aids Brando a few years later (1968); they have a falling out... Image

1965-1966: Heston's western is the big Major Dundee; Brando's is the small The Appaloosa
ImageImage
-------------- in both cases, their characters have to head down to Mexico to resolve things
ImageImage

: Brando tries to maintain the peace (as a sheriff) in a small town in The Chase; he ends up leaving
_____ Heston tries to maintain the peace (as a general) in the Sudan in Khartoum; he ends up staying
_____ Image Image

1967: Brando helps a countess escape the Russians in A Countess From Hong Kong
_____ Image
_____ of course, Sophia Loren had appeared with Heston years earlier in El Cid (1961)
_____ Heston helps his orchestra escape the Germans in Counterpoint
_____ Image
_____ of course, Maximilian Schell appeared with Brando in The Young Lions (58)

1967-1968: Brando stars in Reflections in a Golden Eye with Elizabeth Taylor;
____________ Heston stars in a special TV Movie, Elizabeth the Queen...
_ ImageImage

1968: Brando plays a kidnapper in the thriller Night of the Following Day - it flops;
_____ Heston plays an astronaut in the sci-fi Planet of the Apes - it's a huge hit
ImageImageImage
_____ ImageImage

_____ also, Brando's low point - a weird guru in Candy? ------------------------ Heston's high point - Will Penny?
ImageImage

1969-1970: Brando tries to mess things up on a Caribbean island in Burn! (Quiemada) - metaphorical title
_________ Heston tries to keep order on the Hawaiian islands in The Hawaiians - literal fire, as pictured
ImageImage

1970: Heston & Brando appear in the documentary, King: A Filmed Record... Montgomery to Memphis
ImageImage
Heston also stars as Antony in another film version of Julius Caesar, repeating his 1950 amateur effort
and playing the same part as Brando did in the 1953 version; Heston would return to Antony in 1972...

1971: Brando is the victim of murderous kids in the spooky The Nightcomers
_____ Image
_____ Heston helps kids and is the victim of murderous mutants in the spooky The Omega Man :neville:
________ Image
_____ both characters are involved in sexual liaisons considered quite risque at the time...
_____ Stephanie Beacham, Brando's love interest, would play Heston's TV wife for a couple of years on The Colbys (1985-87)
_____ ImageImage
_____ And -- both male characters get murdered in a similar fashion near the end of the films...

1972: Brando's comeback and 2nd Oscar - maybe his best film - The Godfather
_____ ImageImage
____________________ Heston is in what he feels may be his worst film, a version of The Call of the Wild
____________________________________________ (Clark Gable starred in an earlier version of this film)

1972-1973: Brando has a Last Tango in Paris; Heston is a Cardinal in Paris in The Three Musketeers (and the sequel) :richelieu:
ImageImage

1974-1975: Brando disappears from film... ImageImage
__________ Heston has a couple of his biggest hits - Airport 1975 and............................... Earthquake!

1976: Brando's western-The Missouri Breaks; Heston's is The Last Hard Men - both flop
_____ Image Image
Brando is a villain - he gets his from Jack Nicholson; Heston is the hero - he gets it from James Coburn :comegetsome:

1977: Brando in aired expanded The Godfather:A Novel For Television, as king of a Mafia family, Don Vito Corleone;
_____ Heston plays King Henry VIII in Crossed Swords, a.k.a. a new version of The Prince and the Pauper.
ImageImage
_____In both plots, the ruler father figures die of illness, necessitating that the sons abruptly need to take over things...
Ernest Borgnine co-stars in Crossed Swords; he - an Italian - really coveted The Godfather role in '72 but lost it to Brando...

1978: Heston stars in Gray Lady Down, with Christopher Reeve in a small role
_____ ImageImage
_____ Brando has a small role in Superman, starring Christopher Reeve in the title role
_____ ImageImage
_____ also, Ned Beatty co-stars in both Films - Gray Lady Down and Superman
_____ Image

1978-1979: Heston is interviewed in mock fashion on an episode of the TV show America 2-Night;
_____ Brando plays Rockwell of the American Nazi Party, interviewed in Roots:The Next Generations on TV
_____ Image Image

1979-1980: Brando is bald in Apocalypse Now and The Formula;
_________ Heston is bearded in The Awakening and The Mountain Men
ImageImageImageImage
Two of the above characters (one from each actor) die violently by the end; the other two stay healthy...

1988-1989: Heston plays a 16th-century lawyer against the king's tyranny in A Man For All Seasons;
__________ Brando plays a lawyer up against the tyranny of Apartheid in A Dry White Season
__________ Image Image

1989-1990: Heston plays a Mafia Godfather in the TV Movie Original Sin;
_________ Brando parodies his own Godfather role in The Freshman
_________ Image Image

Heston stars in a new version of Treasure Island :ljsilver: the film uses the H.M.S. Bounty from Brando's 1962 film

1992: Heston appears in the unfinished epic Gengis Khan (or, perhaps better - Genghis Khan)
_____ Brando appears in the finished epic Christopher Columbus:The Discovery
_____ ImageImage

1994: Brando is placed in charge of Johnny Depp to defeat his delusions, in Don Juan DeMarco
ImageImage
_____ Heston is in charge of Schwarzenegger to defeat real terrorists, in True Lies, and
_____ he's also in charge of Sam Neill In the Mouth of Madness, in which it's not just delusionsImage

1996: Brando is a crazy scientist on a tropical island wilderness in The Island of Dr.Moreau;
_____ Heston is a crazy poacher in the cold snowy wildernesss, in Alaska
_____ ImageImage

1996-1997: Heston has a small role in Hamlet, directed by actor Kenneth Branagh, who also stars;
__________ Brando has a small role in The Brave, directed by actor Johnny Depp, who also stars
__________ ImageImage

1998-1999: Brando forces two fools into a shotgun wedding in Free Money; Heston appears in Gideon
_________ and narrates Armageddon, in which Bruce Willis uses a shotgun to stop a wedding
__ ImageImage

2001: Brando & De Niro help pro thief Edward Norton with his biggest score in The Score;
_____ Heston helps pro thief Jean-Claude Van Damme with his search for his father in The Order
_____ Image Image
2003-2004: Heston caps off his film career as Josef Mengele in My Father Rua Alguem 5555
_________ Image Image
_________ Brando films a series of classes teaching star actors called "Lying For a Living" but passes away;
_________ the DVDs are never released; Heston's last film never gets a theatrical release, but is on DVD...
They Never Did a Film Together... Image Fin.

PS: The Richard Donner version of Superman II (1980), with reinserted Brando footage, is released in 2006.
The unfinished Gengis Khan (1992) is finally completed as Genghis Khan:The Story of a Lifetime in 2010...

Last edited by Chrysagon on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:53 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Amazing. Just amazing. You sure never do anything half-assed, Chrysagon.

Thanks for the great read!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:50 am 
Marabunta

Chrysagon thanks for the article, shame there is not even a photo :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next