Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:16 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Heston's Westerns by box office gross
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:24 pm 
Prince Judah

Here's a list of Heston's Westerns by order of box office gross, adjusted for inflation:
(source: HubPages hub for Heston http://cogerson.hubpages.com/hub/Charlt ... ltsGrosses)

1. TOMBSTONE (1993) -- $108.1 million Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Charlton Heston

2. THE BIG COUNTRY (1958) -- $101.8 million Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Charlton Heston

3. THE FAR HORIZONS (1955) -- $54.1 million Fred MacMurray, Charlton Heston

4. PONY EXPRESS (1953) -- $40.5 million Charlton Heston, Forrest Tucker

5. THREE VIOLENT PEOPLE (1956) -- $38.2 million Charlton Heston, Anne Baxter, Tom Tryon

6. ARROWHEAD (1953) -- $35 million Charlton Heston, Jack Palance

6. MAJOR DUNDEE (1965) -- $35 million Charlton Heston, Richard Harris

8. WILL PENNY (1968) -- $23.8 million Charlton Heston, Joan Hackett, Donald Pleasence

9. THE MOUNTAIN MEN (1980) -- $22.3 million Charlton Heston, Brian Keith

10. THE SAVAGE (1952) -- $20.7 million Charlton Heston, Susan Morrow

11. THE CALL OF THE WILD (1972) -- $9.5 million Charlton Heston, Buck - a dog

12. THE LAST HARD MEN (1976) -- $6.4 million Charlton Heston, James Coburn

(I included The Call of the Wild since it does take place in a past that makes it similar to a typical western)

Last edited by Chrysagon on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Heston's Westerns by box office gross
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:10 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
11. THE CALL OF THE WILD (1972) -- $9.5 million Charlton Heston, a dog

:lol:

He may not have had a lot of hits in the genre, but he still did some fine westerns in his career.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:29 am 
Prince Judah

WILL PENNY is now regarded as perhaps Heston's best western role and even as his best film by some. But, it was one of his lowest-grossing westerns -- and one of his lowest grossers among all his films. Why..? Well, it was a small film; maybe it had limited distribution; maybe the marketing was poor and not many knew of it back then in '68. This happens quite a bit to some of the best films. A more recent example is The Shawshank Redemption (1994); it grossed little more than WILL PENNY. Now it's the top-rated film of all time at IMDb.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:50 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chuck said new executives at Paramount buried the movie since it wasn't a project they'd been involved with. So, very litle promotion accompanied the release of the movie. If they had treated the movie better and given it some recognition, I'm positive Heston would have had another nomination or Oscar in his award cabinet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:06 pm 
Astronaut

I expected 'Big Country' to be at the top of the list, and I'm a bit astonished-- is 'Tombstone' such a popular movie? The rating of 'Major Dundee' is also disappointing.

Hi War Lord, will you please include the name of the dog-co-star in The Call of the Wild? His name is Buck, and Heston and Holly shared such good time with him, during the filming...he deserves to be called by his name, I feel.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:04 pm 
Prince Judah

tizzyd wrote:
I expected 'Big Country' to be at the top of the list, and I'm a bit astonished-- is 'Tombstone' such a popular movie? The rating of 'Major Dundee' is also disappointing.

Tombstone was a modest surprise hit in 1993. I'm also a bit surprised at The Big Country's total gross. I expected it to hit $150 million. But, westerns as a general rule do not gross that much at the box office, with a few exceptions.

tizzyd wrote:
Hi War Lord, will you please include the name of the dog-co-star in The Call of the Wild? His name is Buck, and Heston and Holly shared such good time with him, during the filming...he deserves to be called by his name, I feel.
Done. Was that his name in the movie and also in real life..? We should plug in the dog's real name, if known.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:31 pm 
Astronaut

Thank you. Possibly that is his real name as well... but I'm not sure. We need to do some detectivizing for that... maybe Thorn can help.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:54 pm 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
Chuck said new executives at Paramount buried the movie since it wasn't a project they'd been involved with. So, very litle promotion accompanied the release of the movie. If they had treated the movie better and given it some recognition, I'm positive Heston would have had another nomination or Oscar in his award cabinet.

This is true. Also, I just read some other things about Will Penny at IMDb. This is old information, just that I came across it yesterday:
Quote:
Various people said to Charlton Heston, as outlined in his 1995 autobiography 'In the Arena: An Autobiography', "That's maybe the best movie you ever made, Chuck, but if you'd taken the girl with you at the end, it would've made a ton of money, too."
As for the Oscar thing, there are other comments on the IMDb boards for Will Penny which state that Will Penny was released early in 1968. By the time the Oscar nominations came around almost a year later, everyone had forgotten the film. As someone else stated, it would have been better if the film was released at the end of 1967 - this may have been possible except that the film was delayed - or so it is claimed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:57 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

You know, I've never understood that excuse, that a movie being released too early in a year so that they forget about it. I don't know if it's just speculation or if that really is the case a lot of the times for the Academy. Isn't it their job to look for the best movies released that year, no matter when it came out? Basically, their excuse is laziness, because you shouldn't pin down all the nominees based purely on memory, you need to seek out movies so that you don't neglect one who deserves recognition, like, I don't know, Will Penny!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:16 pm 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
You know, I've never understood that excuse, that a movie being released too early in a year so that they forget about it. I don't know if it's just speculation or if that really is the case a lot of the times for the Academy. Isn't it their job to look for the best movies released that year, no matter when it came out? Basically, their excuse is laziness...

This approach by Hollywood has evolved with time until these days, pretty much all the Oscar contenders are released in the 2nd half of the year or more often September to December of each year. It's kind of a joke -- as if everyone knows that if you want to win an Academy Award, don't bother releasing a film in the first 6 months of a year.

Also, in my opinion, best film winners rarely have much to do with actual quality and more about politics and social standing. This seems more evident in the past decade but I personally noticed that something was really wrong with the whole process back in 1990, when Dances With Wolves beat out GoodFellas. Dances With Wolves is a fine film but GoodFellas was Scorsese's masterpiece. They finally rewarded Scorsese many years later for The Departed, which was just a lesser copy of GoodFellas. It's all political and pc.

I knew of similar things happening with the Academy's choices in previous years (like in 1980) but 1990 was when I finally noted that there was a definite pattern to this stuff and that it would get worse.