Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Heston Newsletter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:50 pm 
Prince Judah

I thought we had a thread here somewhere about the Heston Newsletter or a post about it, but I can't really remember.
Here's one on sale on eBay; it was written at the time of his role in The Hawaiians (so, about 1970):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHARLTON-HESTON ... 2a42012f39

There's also a b&w still with it; you can actually read the newsletter in this larger pic:
(or, just go to the eBay site and use the magnifier function to read it -- while it's still for sale)

Post subject: Re: Heston Newsletter
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:38 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I had no idea this existed! :o Any idea how many of these were published?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:29 am 
Prince Judah

I had no real knowledge about these either, except a vague recollection about some post in the past that mentioned these, maybe by someone like James Byrne. But, I could be thinking of some other site or just a passage in one of Heston's old books. So, no, I have no idea how many of these were published - I'd have to try to research it. It is pretty interesting to me; I wouldn't mind having one of these; these don't seem to be too expensive. I'm just a little leery about possibly getting bamboozled on the internet. I have no reason to think these are fake or doctored, but you never know these days... :(

EDIT: a quick google search uncovered one bit of information here: http://collections.oscars.org/link/papers/173
There, it reads:
Quote:
an entire run of the Charlton Heston Newsletter (1956-1971), written by Heston

So, that appears to answer the question of a time period (1956-1971); but, how many? One a Year? A couple a year? More?

That link, btw, also has some interesting info on Heston papers in a library...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:25 pm 
El Cid

Yes, I remember those Heston newsletters when I was a kid. Heston quit writing them in 1971 because he couldn't do them justice. Chuck's philosophy was if a things worth doing, its worth doing well, and he didn't have enough time to write them to his high standards. I was always disappointed that he began writing them, like his journals, after he made SECRET OF THE INCAS and THE NAKED JUNGLE.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:38 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Wow, he kept writing them for a long time, during some of his most exciting years as an actor.