Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:48 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Heston Films in Alternate Realities
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:33 am 
Prince Judah

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Oh this is gonna take some time to get through... :cowboy1:

An interesting line up, especially considering that they did offer Burt Lancaster the Ben-Hur role and he turned it down since he was not exactly pro-religion (as "Elmer Gantry" no doubt will attest). It's too bad we never got to see Lancaster & Heston in any films together, or any combination of Lancaster, Connery and Heston for that matter. Words cannot begin to describe the awesomeness incarnate of such a line up.

Whoa..! You're going all the way back to the first post on this thread - you're right, this will take some time... :lol:

Yep, I provided a lengthy explanation about my choices, including Lancaster, early in this thread; the big question, which I never bothered to address, is why did Lancaster decide to take the Judah role in the other reality, if he was so anti-religion? Maybe he had a string of flops in those alternate fifties and needed the money... :twisted:

Your comment about Lancaster/Connery plus Heston in a film together is interesting in view of one or two of the posts around the middle of this thread, which I suspect you may not have seen/read yet. You might get a kick out of it. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:07 pm 
Prince Judah

Since our member El Cid has revived this thread, let's recast EL CID, this time without Sophia Loren(just for experiment, to see how far our imagination can grow). How about Elizabeth Taylor as Chimene?

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:41 pm 
Prince Judah

itsjudah24 wrote:
Since our member El Cid has revived this thread, let's recast EL CID, this time without Sophia Loren(just for experiment, to see how far our imagination can grow). How about Elizabeth Taylor as Chimene?

Yeah, that would be interesting - as has been remarked on in these forums before, it's a shame that Heston & Taylor never starred in a film together, like in 55 Days at Peking, and EL CID would have been another great alternative (possibly if her CLEOPATRA film had been canceled).

I was thinking about redoing EL CID as a poster with Taylor and Heston but haven't been able to get it done yet; it's one of those things that would take some time. Heston might had problems with the film in the other reality as well because Taylor probably would have been paid more than him. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:53 pm 
Prince Judah

What if Heston starred in another Apes film in 1968, in another reality? This idea came upon me suddenly when I noticed an old Gold Key comic book from that year. For reasons I can't recall, Gold Key published a special comic book adaptation of KING KONG in 1968; maybe there was a resurgence of interest in the film back then = Japan had released a King Kong film only a year or so earlier and maybe there was a re-release of the 1933 film going on also. But, what if there was an American remake of KING KONG in 1968..? :ddape: (instead of 1976)

This version would veer from the original slightly: Heston would play a 'Great White Hunter' type who sought to kill (then capture) the ultimate game - Kong on a prehistoric island. Bardot would be in the blonde female role and the object of the giant ape's affections. When they got the captured Kong back to New York City, the ape would break free on the docks and start his rampage there. Heston's character, a flier from the Korean War, would be one of the pilots shooting at Kong from an airplane in the climax; it also ends up on the Empire State Building (in 1968, the World Trade Center had not been built yet).

Kong manages to destroy most of the airplanes and, in the end, Heston bears down on the giant in his single-engine airplane, yelling "Take your stinking paw off that girl..!" and "Take this, you damn dirty giant ape..!" Who wins...? :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:46 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
Kong manages to destroy most of the airplanes and, in the end, Heston bears down on the giant in his single-engine airplane, yelling "Take your stinking paw off that girl..!" and "Take this, you damn dirty giant ape..!" Who wins...? :twisted:

I can definitely see that happening :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:27 am 
Prince Judah

Bravo Knight!! Three cheers to thee. But are you going to show a hand-to-hand fight between Chuck and the giant? or should there be guns...?

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:34 am 
Prince Judah

itsjudah24 wrote:
Bravo Knight!! Three cheers to thee. But are you going to show a hand-to-hand fight between Chuck and the giant? or should there be guns...?

As you pointed out in a recent reply post, Heston was 6' 3" in his prime -- Kong was more like 60' 3" so I think that a hand-to-hand fight was out of the question. The airplanes in the film were outfitted with guns but in this story Kong is so huge and his skin so thick that he was able to withstand the onslaught from the guns with minor injury (it's like if you were attacked by a 5-inch tall gnome with a tiny gun; it would sting quite a bit but you would survive).

Towards the end, the guns on Heston's airplane run out of ammo and Heston's hunter character decides to fly his machine directly into Kong's face; they both fall from the top of the building to their doom. Both didn't really fit in the world - Heston's character was an anachronism - and so it was rather fitting, in an odd way.

I also thought of a shocking epilogue:
it's revealed that Kong was actually an alien being from another planet; that's why he was unique - he wasn't from our world; his race of giant apes travel to Earth and it becomes a...

Spoiler:
    PLANET OF GIANT APES...! :ddape: :ddape: :ddape: :ddape: :ddape: :ddape: :ddape: :ddape: :ddape: :ddape: :ddape: :ddape:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:42 am 
Cheating Bastard

What a great thread. I've spent the last half hour or so going through it. I thought of one of my own, but am not "techy" enough to create a poster. I think Heston would have been great in the role of Scaramanga in the '75 James Bond flick "Man With The Golden Gun". It's one of the few Bonds where the villain gets plenty of screen time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:21 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

climb-baby-climb wrote:
What a great thread. I've spent the last half hour or so going through it. I thought of one of my own, but am not "techy" enough to create a poster. I think Heston would have been great in the role of Scaramanga in the '75 James Bond flick "Man With The Golden Gun". It's one of the few Bonds where the villain gets plenty of screen time.

Christopher Lee was great in that part and it would have been a wonderful opportunity for Chuck to play such a character.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:41 pm 
Prince Judah

climb-baby-climb wrote:

Yeah, nice idea. I can tell you what to do-- really I am less 'techy' than anybody else in this planet of computer-handy advanced apes, :ddape: but there is an easy way of doing these things using the Paint. It does not look too attarctive, but still, it gives out the idea. And yes, my paintings have been utilised by the chiuvalric generosity of our Knight Chrysagon. Without his expertise, I could not have got posted some of my ideas.

I know this Man!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next